Author Topic: WHO study says cell phones possble link to cancer and AN  (Read 14199 times)

Mei Mei

WHO study says cell phones possble link to cancer and AN
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:40 am »
This was in today's Washington Post Headlines and yesterday's ABC News:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/cell-phones-possibly-carcinogenic-who-says/2011/05/31/AGRktZFH_story.html

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: WHO study says cell phones possble link to cancer and AN
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:44:52 am »
Hi MeiMei :)

Saw the same report... and it's for Gliomas (brain cancers), not AN's, based on the update.  I know the report has garnished closer attention since it came out of the WHO.... and as you know, there has been numerous discussions here re: cellphones and brain tumors (overall, including AN's).  

IMO, it's very difficult to determine exact causes, esp radiation-related, of brain cancers.  My sister died of a malignant brain tumor... but back in 1969 and never used a cellphone.  An increase in the number of gliomas since cellphones have been widely used?  Can't answer......

The ANA has noted their stance on this issue on their homepage... and will be interesting to see if anything more is said, esp. since the report is noting brain cancers.... and nothing concrete to AN's in particular.  

Still on the fence on this one.

WHO is still recommending use of hands-free use and I'm in line with that recommendation.  Always use my speakerphone (esp. when driving... never put the phone to my ear!) and keep the phone away from my head.

IMO, the debate continues. I've moved this topic here to help keep the debate lively.... as we know... it will happen.

Have fun!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:42:56 am »
Saw this study, as well.  As a "victim" of nasopharyngeal radium irradiation as a teenager following a tonsillectomy, which is known to increase the chances of developing an acoustic neuroma, I read all of these reports with great interest.  My AN did not develop until many, many years after the initial known exposure.

Like Phyl said, this latest report is talking about gliomas ..... not ANs.  However, it is prudent to be ever cautious about what could be proven to be a problem many years from now.

In that regard, since I now have only one remaining "good" ear, last week I ordered a radiation-free headset to use with my IPhone.  See:  http://lifebluetube.com/headsets/life-blue-tube/bluetube-mono-hook.html   There are several different kinds on the market.  Amazon has several different kinds, as well.  It just makes sense to minimize any exposure to radiation.  What is worrisome is the number of young people who have their phones to their heads for long periods of time.

Just my two cents.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:50:09 am »
Acoustic Neuromas are mentioned
Here is the official release. Acoustic Neuromas are mentioned in the report

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2011/pdfs/pr208_E.pdf

Of note

"Results  
The evidence was reviewed critically, and overall evaluated as being limited among users of wireless telephones for glioma and acoustic neuroma"

'Limited evidence of carcinogenicity': A positive association has been observed between exposure to the agent and cancer for which a causal interpretation is consideed by the Working Group to be credible, but chance, bias or confounding could not be ruled out with reasonable confidence."

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:29:54 pm »
Hey Clarice,
Thanks for posting that link for the radiation free head set - I'm going to order one!  I've used a wired headset for years, long before I ever heard of an acoustic neuroma.  I tried a blue tooth for a while, but it drove me crazy and I seemed to lose it constantly.  At least it's harder to misplace a wired set.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:13:18 pm »
Yes, the report in the Washington Post says Gliomas AND Acoustic Neuromas

I use the EMFSafetyStore.com     to get insulated headsets.   The non insulated headsets just carry the radiation up to your head.    I also bought 2 feet of film to cover my microwave and my one cordless phone base.    My father's friend's son is now secretary of energy and doesn't own a microwave.

The least EMFs the better.   I took out the LED display alarm clock out of my bedroom as I don't need 8 hours of the emissions while I'm asleep either.    Got myself an old fashioned one.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

heyct

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:20 pm »
I am constantly surprised how many AN newbies there are on our "little" community. It seems awfully high considering ANs are supposed to affect only 1% of people.

I remember my doctor told me the AN takes about 10 years to grow, approximately the same amount of time I had used the cell phone and on the same ear. I also think pregnancy hormones increased the growth of my AN since I was pregnant when I first noticed something wrong. I've also noticed this with some of our other members.

That said. The least EMFs the better.

Which brings me to my concern re: SoundBite Hearing Aid. The Behind the ear piece transfers sound information "wirelessly" through the head to the mouthpiece. Of course, everyone I spoke to regarding my concern said it wasn't dangerous.

My two cents,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:30:55 pm »
My two cents.  I never even had a cell phone until about 2 years prior to being diagnosed with an AN.

And once I did get a cell phone, I used it very rarely (to me a cell phone is a necessary evil - wouldn't carry one if I didn't have to).

Since ANs are typically very slow growing, I'm highly doubtful my AN was caused by a cell phone.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

rezski

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 06:04:59 pm »
I am also doubtful.  My symptoms go back to before I had a cell and I use my left ear with the phone.  My AN is on the right.  Remember the saccharine scare years ago?
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: WHO study says cell phones possible link to cancer and AN
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:25 am »
I had some high doses of radiation when I was about 4 years old following a concussion that had me  hospitalized with amnesia ... I am not sure what all they did to me ... I remember IVs and alot of xrays with IV going as they xrayed me and as soon as they finished xrays the IV came out ... they did this several times ... put me in a tube restraint ... not because I was resiting them but to keep my head still ... Mom was trying to locate old records from hospital in Alaska to figure if there is a link to my AN ... I figure that what's done is done and not overly worried about finding the records ...

I  didn't have a cell phone until I had my AN .. I got a cell phone  it to stay connected to home when I was going back and forth to Nashville about 100 miles away ... interstate driving most of the way and with the cell if I got caught in traffic and was running late I could call to let them know I was OK... so my AN caused a cell phone ...

I did listen to the report on this mornings news and they had the same recommendations ... cell phone used on speaker or with insulated head set ...this morning  my husband said "I wonder what it does to reproductive organs being carried in pockets or belt clips ? or any organ for that matter " ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:54:42 am »
Please be mindful of all the weasel words in the study and report. Lots of "mays" and "mights."

Also, perhaps more importantly, cellphones are in the category of other cancer-causing agents as:

Coffee
Pickled vegetables
Magenta dyes
Gasoline
Engine Exhaust
Safrole (oil from Sassafras root)
Styrofoam cups

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/02/coffee-pickled-veggies-also-possibly-cause-cancer/

By all means, follow the common sense guidelines for cellphone use. Do what makes YOU feel MOST comfortable.  I have almost always used a wired headset for any conversation of length because I am lazy and my arm gets tired holding up one of those heavy buggers. I am still looking for a compatible unit for my BAHA.

However, while I won't go so far as to say life would not be worth living without my cellphone, I will say that it would probably not be worth living without coffee, pickles, kim chi, and traditional root beer.

Some things are too precious to give up.  ;D

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 11:09:08 am »
...bunk!

Enjoy your cell phone and worry instead about getting cancer from Hot Dogs...that at least is plausible!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:40:22 pm by DoctorB »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 03:23:16 pm »
I'm with Doc on this one.

Yes, cellphones MAY/POSSIBLY/MIGHT/COULD BE/ a cause of brain cancer or acoustic neuromaa but there is little more in this WHO press release than pure speculation and a whole lot of caveats.  Of course, we should all take sensible precautions that make us feel  safer when using a cell phone or any device that emits electromagnetic waves.  I hardly ever use my cell phone and I'm not terribly concerned about my microwave, either, but if anyone is, they should certainly do whatever they think is prudent to ensure their well being.  I think this whole cell phone/AN controversy makes little sense based on the fact that ANs were being discovered long before cell phones were invented.  However, I'm not a scientist or doctor so I can't offer credible opposition, just my opinion - and the realization that I could be wrong - and that other people will hold a different opinion.  So be it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:13:13 pm »
I also have to put my two cents worth in.

The Omaha World Herald reported that WHO had said that cell phones caused cancerous tumors such as gliomas and acoustic neuromas. 

Since when is an acoustic neuroma a cancerous tumor?  It's most commonly benign!  I love our media today.  They have to sensationalize everything.  My father was a newsman...that's right, a newsman...not a news anchor.  He was a jack of all trades, master of none.  He worked in radio and television for over 30 years.  I took journalism in high school.  What the press does to our news today is a crime.  It's done to sell papers or to get the highest ratings on television or radio.  One always has to wonder exactly what the truth is and when it's government info that the common man cannot get access to, we are at their mercy.

Common sense...people who have a cell phone stuck to their ear 24/7 may have problems in future years.  They are the ones that should be using hands free devices.  The rest of us who use our phones only as needed are probably safe. 

My AN was in my left ear.  I always use my right ear to talk on the phone...go figure!
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 04:31:22 pm »
agree with DocB, Jim, ddaybrat, etc....... as with everything in life that can cause cancers, I refuse to be an ostrich with my head in the sand.... life is too short and I'm going to enjoy it while I'm on G-d's green earth!

Had chocolate... sorry!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"