Author Topic: silly eye makeup question  (Read 6206 times)

KBL

silly eye makeup question
« on: May 30, 2011, 06:55:18 pm »
Okay, this may seem silly to some. Left side facial paralysis.   I have a gold weight in my eye lid, my eye does not produce tears, I use drops constantly.  At times my eye starts to water, and can be very irritated.  I have not worn eye makeup since my surgery 16 months ago.  I am not working, but when I go out socially would like to wear some mascara and eye liner.  Should I even bother to try?  Would that make my eye worse?  Are there any brands anyone recommends?  Maybe with my eye as it is I should not ask for more problems.  I would assume I would need waterproof products.  Does the remover irritate the eye further?  At this point everyone is use to me without eye makeup, why bother?  I guess I am just trying to feel a bit more like my old self.  With all the problems my AN has caused me this is the least of my problems.  Just wondering if any of you have advice on this little question.
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Kaybo

Re: silly eye makeup question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:14:27 pm »
Hi KLB and welcome to this Forum!

I had my surgery 15 years ago when i was 25 so I have done just about everything there is as far as make-up/no make-up with & without eye weights! After I first had surgery, I went for many years and just wore make-up on my good eye.  Then I started putting on the "bad" one too...even when I had an eye weight.  Now I don't get make-up on a lot of the time but it is because I just don't take the time not because I can't.  I guess I am just turning into a granola girl!!   ;)  I do get it on at least once a week for church!  LOL!  I wear eye shadow, eye liner and mascara (top lashes only) on my AN eye...& of course, it is water proof.  My eye doesn't water (nor do I have any feeling on that side) but I have to put in Refresh PM so I try to get that wiped off my face before I put make-up on.  I have always used Merle Norman Very Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover because I have very sensitive eyes anyway and it works great!

Just what I do!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »
Definitely not a silly question, and actually one that has been asked before.  I think it's important to feel like your old self again.

I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I do like to use eyeliner and mascara.  I use the waterproof kind of both and I only use it on my upper lashes.  I've never had a problem with it.  I use Clinique eye make-up remover to get it off and I haven't had a problem with irritation from that either.  I also use that in the morning to clean the Refresh PM gel off my lashes and eyelid.

I'd say give it a try!  

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »
I think this is very interesting... I actually spoke to a sales rep at Estee Lauder and told me that water proof mascara reduces the production of tears, so I was shocked and I do notice that when I use water proof mascara at the end of the day my eye gets dryer than usual. 
For those of us who have very little or no tears is something worth observing.

KBL

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:26 pm »
Thank you all for the feedback, living in Boulder Colorado, I guess I am a granola and have not tried to get out to go makeup shopping.  I will buy some soon.  It was good to hear that the more expensive brand probably is not worth the cost difference.  If anyone else has a brand they love, please let me know.
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Brewers7

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:07:19 am »
KBL,
     Welcome.  If your questions are silly, then so am I because I asked similar questions early on.  I got some good tips.

1.  I put my eye ointment (Walgreens brand) in right after my shower so it will have time to run before I put on makeup.

2.  I use waterproof mascara and eyeliner.  Also, someone suggested an eye lash curler.  I never used one before, but it helps keep lashes out of your eye.

3.  I also use Cover Girl lip stain (24 Hour).  I can line better to help my lips look more symmetrical.  Also, it stays on lomger.

4.  I use Maybeline Eye Makeup remover (oil base) to get off the waterproof mascara.

OK.  I confess to being a girlie girl, but I also like to keep it simple.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:49 am »
Interesting about the mascara...the brand/kind that I had used since I started using make-up is no longer available.  I have tried a lot of different ones - kind of fun since my oldest daughter is wearing mascara now!  Anyway, I have noticed lately that my eyes seem a lot drier in the mornings...wonder if it is the mascara.  I must admit that I am a bad girl and don't take off my make-up before I go to bed - I can barely get my contact out before I fall in bed!!

I may have to do some experiments!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!