Author Topic: Changes in optic nerve?  (Read 7855 times)

mk

Changes in optic nerve?
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:46:52 am »
Here is an odd one for you: Has anyone heard of changes in the optic nerve post surgery? I went for an appointment with the optometrist and he took an image of my eye and compare it with the one he had taken just one month before the surgery. He found something that he thinks is an anatomic change post-surgery - he speculated it is "glial tissue" formation and he said he has never seen something like that. I had no idea what "glial tissue" is, and I have never heard of the optic nerve being ever affected from surgery on the forum. Has anyone heard of something like this? ??? He did refer me to a neuro-opthalmologist for follow up.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Kaybo

Re: Changes in optic nerve?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:54 am »
I have a great story, but I'm on my iPhone right now & will have to type it all out when I get home. I don't know about any of the stuff that you mentioned but just know my vision in the AN eye changed DRASTICALLY - 20/400 to 20/30 comes & goes!!! - & unexplainable!!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mk

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:28:35 am »
Funny, I was also told that my vision had improved. From 20/40 to 30/40. So I guess the AN might have been affecting the nerve...
Kay, I look forward to reading your story.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:06 pm »
Marianna,

It is very unlikely that surgery itself damaged your optic nerve because it is part of the cerebrum and AN is much lower than that. If anything gets damaged in AN surgery, it is brainstem and cerebellum. However, hydrocephalus that you had just prior to surgery is a likely culprit. There is another disorder of excessive CSF accumulation that comes to mind - ipseudotumor cerebri - in which optic nerve damage is a very common presentation. Perhaps, the surgery made the damage evident when the excess fluid was released. Thank goodness you got rid of that tumor!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

psmix

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:28:24 pm »
Marianna,

I had a similar experience. Unfortunately, I didn't have a pre-op image of my eyes to compare, but when I saw the ophthalmologist post-op, she felt that both my optic nerves were swollen. She talked to Dr. Schwartz at House who did my surgery to ask if this was to be expected, and he said no. I had a very nerve-wracking day in the ER, where she sent me for additional CT scans, MRI's, and MRA's (image of the vascular structure in my head). Fortunately, the neurologist at the hospital didn't think I needed the lumbar puncture the ophthalmologist asked for! (I had already spent five days with a lumbar drain in the hospital.)

All the tests checked out ok. She then referred me to a neuro-ophthalmologist who looked at all the scans and took more pictures of my optic nerves, and after an additional follow-up appointment concluded that my optic nerves were not swollen - that was just normal for me.

I did do some of my own research (googled "papilledema" (swollen optic nerve) and "acoustic neuroma") and found several studies reporting that 8% of acoustic neuroma patients will report with papilledema. In fact, one cause of papilledema is a brain tumor. Duh - I already knew I had that! Although my tumor is gone now, my theory is that the swollen appearance of my optic nerves is a residual effect. As far as I can tell, it hasn't had any impact on my vision one way or another (hard to tell with all the ointment in my eye!)

Although I don't know if your "change" has the appearance of being swollen, it is interesting to hear from another ANer with a potential effect on the optic nerve. I'll be curious to hear how yours turns out.

Pam
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

mk

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:19 pm »
Hi Pam,

thank you for sharing your experience. I was also afraid that I had papilledema before my surgery and this was the reason I went to the doctor in the first place. He assured me that he didn't see any nerve "elevation" (this is exactly the term that he used), or swelling that are indicative of papilledema. After surgery, he still couldn't see any swelling. I do now however that there was some accumulation of CSF in my ventricles. Perhaps the fact that the CSF was removed caused the changes, like Eve mentioned. Anyway, it is really strange and I am hoping that the neuroopthalmologist sheds some light (or better yet that he says there is nothing wrong, because I am starting to feel very tired with this whole AN business). I will keep everyone posted.

Marianna