Author Topic: Head and Neck Pain after spinal tap  (Read 8813 times)

para1

Head and Neck Pain after spinal tap
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:55 am »
I had a CSF leak 7 weeks post op from my incision site.  I was in the hospital for 6 days with a spinal drain.  I have been home for two weeks now and I still have head and neck pain.  It is a tightness in my neck that travels up and over my head.  I am taking motrin three times a day and valium once a day.  Has anyone ever experienced this before?  It is painful and frustrating and I am just so curious about how long I can expect these headaches.  They make me not want to do anything and it prohibits me from going out because I can't keep my head straight up for long periods.  When will this end????!!!!!!!!   :(

staypoz

Re: Head and Neck Pain after spinal tap
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:23:15 am »
Hi, para1.  I hope by now your headaches have subsided.  If they are related to your AN surgery, this site has a lot of good information about ways folks have dealt with them.  Everyone's experience is different, and what therapy helps one person won't necessarily help someone else.  If your surgeon or primary care doc can't help, you should ask for a referral to a pain doctor or a neurologist.  There is help to be had, and you will have to be your own best advocate to find the treatment that works for you. 

Good luck and know that there are lots of folks to support you.

staypoz   

RAD

Re: Head and Neck Pain after spinal tap
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 06:32:11 am »
Para1, I had a very similar situation as you. CSF leak, then hospital stay with a spinal drain.  I also have head and neck pain.  I was referred to see a physical therapist, who said this was just tightness in neck muscle that is connected to my shoulder.  But the muscle runs up over your head which can cause head pain.  I have only been to two sessions but have noticed some relief.  My question to you have you found relief and is this the way you found relief.

RAD