Author Topic: Fatigue  (Read 9815 times)

allisjbh

• facebook
Fatigue
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:53:32 am »
One, of many things, I didn't see coming before, during, and after my AN surgery was fatigue. I'm sure I went back to work too soon after my surgery. With an absolutely beaten down immune system I crashed and burned in the middle of the school year (which is horrific for a teacher to go through). I spent the next 3 months pretty much sleeping. I was never sick as a child - and had always recovered quickly from surgeries as a young adult. It has been a real learning experience to understand all that our brain goes through! I found the following article the other day on brain tumor related fatigue, and think it contains some good information.

http://www.brainsciencefoundation.org/matriarch/documents/bt_and_fatigue.pdf

Allison
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin

proudmomof3

Re: Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 10:21:29 am »
Allison,
I am a newbie here, and though I did not have "real" surgery, I had Gamma Knife. I also experience fatigue, both before and after. I have had it for years, and just thought it was stress and age.  Thank you for the information you posted.

I hope you feel better and can manage your fatigue. It is the worst thing being tired all of the time. I can't imagine how you do it as a school teacher either! Just know there are a ton of people out there feeling the same way you do and you aren't alone.

Cheryl
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:31 am »
You're welcome Cheryl! I was hoping that someone else could benefit from the information. After three months post surgery, my own husband thought I should be totally recovered. I plan to print this information for him so that he can get better educated too.  ::) ;D
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin

Itheus

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »
I'm about 2 months away from my big day of surgery for an 8mm AN.  I really hadn't been experiencing any side-effects besides the tinnitus and lack of hearing in my right ear.  That is, until a few days ago.  I've felt absolutely exhausted.  For example, I slept for 10 hours last night, and still finding myself nodding off at my desk (I have a desk job).  My boss and co-workers no my situation, so it's not as if I will get reprimanded...but it's still not fun to deal with!  Since this has started happening so recently, I can't be sure that it's the AN...but I guess it would make sense.

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »
Itheus,
I too would get tired easily before I knew about the AN, but just assumed it was my sleep apnea. Even with my cpap machine used every night I would get so sleepy after lunch. It is great that your AN was caught before getting too large.
ALLISON

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:53:00 pm »
Thanks for the update on the fatigue....I sure have it and it has been getting worse.  I will be having surgery in a week and I know I am in for it big time but at least I know and that it is expected.  Thanks for the link, lots of good information.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:43:32 pm »
Yes, fatigue is very common for all of us, I suppose mainly because of our brains working overtime to compensate for our whacked-out balance systems and lack of hearing, for starters.  Somewhere on this board is a thread that links to an article, which explains how it all relates to one another.  Here's the thread with the link: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=7805.0.  Also, just to prove how common this is, do a search on the word "Fatigue" and you'll get 39 PAGES of results back!! Quite amazing, really...

I hope it'll get better for you...for most people it does...there are rare exceptions that it become chronic.  Take care and rest up! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:37:57 am »
Allison, thanks for sharing this article.  I had seen a copy several years ago and have referred back to it often.  It is good to know sometimes that what we are feeling is normal and okay.  So, thanks for posting this for those who haven't read it.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Itheus

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »
I plan to print this information for him so that he can get better educated too.  ::) ;D

I completely understand!  I have a wonderful wife that is super supportive, but I think this is one thing she doesn't understand.  She's a very active triathlete and I'm afraid she thinks I'm using exhaustion as an excuse.  But it could just be in my head, too.  She'll come back from a long run or bike ride, and I'm laying on the couch half asleep.  There is a certain amount of guilt I feel...

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 08:21:03 pm »
I'm glad you found it useful Rivergirl! :)
Itheus, my husband is also very active - not a triathlete, but still runs circles around me!

I'm trying to figure out how I can do things differently this fall when I go back to teaching so that I don't crash and burn again. Someone has suggested weekly B12 injections - think I'll give that a try.
ALLISON

mandy721

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:28:34 pm »
Allison,

My husband also went back to work 3 months post-op and he wasn't ready either. Really not ready and it was very hard for him. He pushed himself to go back and looking back he feels that it was too soon. He was able to nap during the day  then crash when he got back from work. After struggling for months, he went out on medical leave.    Prior to surgery, he  worked long hours and traveled for business. He didn't have any problems with stamina or fatigue then.  Now at 22 months post op his energy and stamina have improved, but he continues to need more sleep than he did before surgery.  We knew that it could take "months" to recover, but never thought it would be this long. 

By the start of the new school year, I bet you will feel better able to cope with teaching again.   

Miranda

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »
Fatigue was a huge factor for me post op.  I remember taking a shower when I got home from the hospital and then immediately having to take a nap.  I was exhausted.

My doc told me fatigue would be an issue for a while, but I had no idea that it would last as long as it did. 

Stands to reason though; lots of time under anesthesia, stress on the body, stress on the brain, etc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:43:29 pm »
Thanks Miranda - I sure hope so!
ALLISON

cin605

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:52:46 pm »
I was tired for a good two years....I just finally stopped having to get up at 8 down by noon...it helps that i do not have to get up early i found if i stay and sleep till 9 it makes a huge difference.That and learned to take gabepenton as soon as my feet hit the floor in the mourning.
hope yours end s soon...i still have bad days but they are less.HUGS
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 07:38:28 pm »
Cindy,
If only we could start work at 9:45 in the morning and get out by 3:45 in the afternoon - I believe I could make it! :-) One of the problems is that our school system decided to shorten the number of days students attend, but lengthen the actual day. It makes for a looong day when you have to be there before 7:50 in the morning, but don't get to leave until almost 5:00 in the afternoon.  :P By that time I can't think or hardly move any more - I'm pooped.

BTW - What is gabepenton ?
ALLISON