Author Topic: Have you met Forum AN'ers in ways other than the Forums/Support Groups?  (Read 25161 times)

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Unfortunately, I haven't  met anyone from the Forum yet.  I haven't been back in the USA since 2007, just before surgery.  If anyone happens to come to Germany let me know I only live 40 miles from the Frankfurt Airport.

Dan in Germany   
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
It was GREAT to meet Jan tonight and I'm so looking forward to meeting Kay in a couple of weeks! This forum has provided us with a way to meet friends we would otherwise not have found and also provides a tremendous amount of support from people who "get it"!!!
-Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

cindyj

I have been very lucky to meet a number of you guys!  Yes, and how great that the first was you, Phyl - it meant SO very much to me!  Then, my good fortune just continued from there...I got to spend a whole day w/ Nancy (NL) as she gave us a wonderful tour of LA and she was such an awesome support to Brad, Mom and me while we were out there!  Then, David joined us for the pre-op lunch at St. Vincent's, along w/ Nancy again...I could not have had a better send off to surgery!  Then, I was able to meet up w/ Jo as we both happened to be in North Florida on vacation at the same time - just prior to her surgery.  Have seen Amy a couple of times here in Atl, as well as Sue before and after her surgery here in Atl...sure I may be missing someone...and I hope to be able to meet even more of you as time goes on :D 

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
I was fortunate to meet many people in Chicago two summers ago, but have not had the good fortune of meeting anyone "in real life" yet.

I know that David, Nancy and Lainie have met a lot of folks out there in California, probably more than we can count.

I guess that makes them our trio of angels, to offset that other trio of more devilish personalities we all know but need not name.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
...to offset that other trio of more devilish personalities we all know but need not name.

You wouldn't be referencing J >:D - K >:D - L >:D by chance, would you? ;)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• MVD diary
My lips are sealed, Phyl. Feel free to infer anything you wish - I will neither confirm nor deny!
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

lori67

Hey!  I resemble that remark!   ;)

For the record, the "J" and "K" portions are the real troublemakers.    I do my best to keep them in line, but it's hard work!

L >:D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

The first forum-ites I met were when my husband ran the Boston marathon a couple of years ago and it was on the same weekend as the New England group brunch (Phyl, Jim, etc). I got to meet them plus Nancy, Bob (I don't think they're on the forum much any more) and Scarlett and Rich (PHYL - HOW ARE THEY?!) I picked up Laura (allegra) from where she was staying (she was running the Boston Marathon) and she went to the brunch with me. Since she was scheduled to have her surgery right after the marathon, it was good and encouraging for her to meet some AN'ers who had already been though it all. Since my husband will probably never qualify to run Boston again (nor will I) : (  well, i don't when i'll make it back up to the NE  brunch, but would love to go again!

I met Tim (migoi) for about 10 minutes on the National Mall last year; he was in town watching his daughter graduate from the Naval Academy and they were in DC that day. My daughter was participating in a Memorial Day parade. We chatted on our cells and were able to find each other!

I met Lori last summer as well. My daughter was in VA Beach at a training for high school aged Naval Sea Cadets and Lori picked me up and we went to her house and then went to her husband's base and got an awesom tour of his aircraft carrier.

I found out Mei Mei lives not far away from me at all; maybe I can meet her soon!

I've never met Patrick but we've talked about biking and marathon running. I'm going to Texas later this summer and would love to meet some of the Texans (like Kay!)

If any of you come to the DC area, let me know! I'm actually in MD, but only a few miles from te DC line.  
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

NO WAY, KERI!!! You didn't tell me you were coming to Texas!! Have GIRLY van, will travel!!

Now, about that other little thing....I think EVERYBODY knows that I am the angelic one of the three (definitely the most naive!!)...it's Jan & Lori you have to watch out for...Sara, who bought you a drink & took your wonderful picture???

;D

*wishing for an angel smiley!!*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

Okay you social butterflies :D
I've met Kay as she mentioned and that's it! Yes, we will meet again when we move to TX in the winter. Hang in there, should only be about 5-10 years from now! ;D

Lori, when are you coming to visit your friend in Tacoma? (does she still live there?). That would make 2 forumites!

Plus there is the AN support  group here in Tacoma, but those people aren't on the forum, except occasionally Barb from Seattle who is W &W

Sorry I missed you Jan when you were in Seattle! (I think I was gone...).
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

Moe,  actually my friend is at Fort Irwin in CA now.  But, one never knows where they'll wind up next - maybe back to your area.

In the mean time, if I hit the lottery, I'll do a world AN tour and visit everyone!   ;D

Kay, since Jan doesn't seem to be chiming in just yet (must be actually working or something crazy!), lets throw her under the bus.  It's ALL her fault.   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

and lori is so angelic that she FORGOT THAT SHE MET ME!!!!! i leave a good impression, i suppose!

i've never been to one of the symposiums... waiting for an east coast meeting, i suppose.

kay, i have to go down to Corpus Christi later this summer. meet me in San Antonio at Casa Rio!! i will try to make it through houston... you know Texas, so EASY to just drive to this city or that city, only takes all day!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

Keri,

I was saving that info for my grand finale!  I didn't want everyone else to be jealous!  Actually, it's probably because I feel like I've known you longer than this AN thing.  And if it's not that - I've had brain surgery. I forget things sometimes!   :P

Lori

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
I went to Seattle for a lunch and met a bunch of people!!  This was in 2006, I think, the summer after my GK.  I met Kathleen and Larry from Australia who was on a  West Coast vacation.  We had quite a group, but I have forgotten who all was there now.   We even talked with Phyl on the phone, as she was so happy for us and wanted to get in on the action!!  

I got to know Lorenzo' via Internet, who lives in Ireland (but he is Italian) and when he and his lovely Sheila came last summer to the West Coast for an extended vacation, my husband and I were able to meet up with them and show them some things around Portland.  We had so much fun.  Lorenzo doesn't come on here much anymore.  

I should go to a local support group one of these days, and I have been saying that from the beginning, but I haven't made it.  

Cheers,

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

saralynn143

• MVD diary
Sara, who bought you a drink & took your wonderful picture???

;D

*wishing for an angel smiley!!*

Sweet angelic Kaybo did!

I think there should be an angel smiley, too.

Just a reminder - the only names I listed were David, Nancy and Lainie. The rest is mere conjecture. Hee hee I feel like such a trouble-maker.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09