Author Topic: Have you met Forum AN'ers in ways other than the Forums/Support Groups?  (Read 25130 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Ok, just wanted to see how many of you have met AN'ers from the forums in other ways other than the Discussion Forums or ANA Support Groups/ANA symposiums....

Example...... many of you know that jcinma/Jane and myself host Discussion Forum brunches a couple of times/yr locally, to bring together AN'ers in a casual (ie: "fattening") environment....... but, have also met AN'ers in other wonderful ways.

Further example......

VERY first AN'er from forums that I met was CrazyKat/Paul, at Starbucks (eventually, we got booted out so they could close), moved to Dunkin Donuts. Here we were, at 8pm-ish, standing in the parking lot, reviewing each other's MRI's.

Flew to ATL on family visit. Had the wonderful chance to meet CindyJ and Brucifer (Man, do I miss him!) over lunch with my bloke!

Today, going to the headache dr and who will be there at her appt just before mine? SML/Scarlett and lovely husband Rich.  Will either do coffee or lunch.

JoeF came locally to make one of his kayak purchases a few miles from where I live.... had the chance to do breakfast with him and my bloke.

Flew to the UK for my mother-in-law's milestone birthday.... lives in a tiny village approx 2 hrs outside London.  Yep, met Forum AN'ers on that trip as well.

So, all in all, there has been terrific opps to meet other Forumites over time.... and it has brought me such joy to meet others so casually, to compare notes, share laughs/smiles/stories/hugglez.  What a world of difference it has brought to meet to meet others that "walk in our shoes".

So....... have YOU had the chance to meet other AN'ers in ways you least expected and what kind of impact did it make on you to be able to meet others face to face?  I recognize that some of you may live in areas that is difficult to meet others and hoping you do get to meet others soon.

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tenai98

Yes, I met Cindy J while in Florida on Vacation
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

ppearl214

• Administrator
Yes, I met Cindy J while in Florida on Vacation
Jo

Jo,
Cindy's great, isn't she? :)  Sorry I couldn't have joined you all.  Just met up with SML/Scarlett and Rich at the dr's office... then found great place for burgers.  Delightful lunch and was terrific to spend time with them!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

Of course I have to answer this. I LOVE to meet my "fictious friends" from the Forum in real life. Aside from the many wonderful friends I met at the Chicago Symposium, I have been blessed to meet many more. All of this is a wonderful blessing for me, especially considering that I went 12 YEARS before I ever even spoke to another AN patient!!  I have also talked to numerous people on the phone.  I hope I don't leave anyone out:

Tim (Migoli?) came thru Amarillo on his way to Houston (before we moved).  We had a wonderful dinner & the girlies loved him!! Dave & I were able to meet Cyrilee at the Symposium...hoping to see them sometime in the near future!

Met up with Brian (Pooter), Priscilla (msmaggie), Brenda (brendalu) & the guy  that I can NEVER remember his name for lunch when we were in Houston for Christmas one year. Since I have moved here, sweet Ms Priscilla has been my own personal angel!! Aside from the time she came over to my in-laws (where we were temporarily living) to visit last summer, she came twice to help when we were moving into our house (& brought dinner) and then came running to my rescue a couple of weeks ago after my surgery!! We have done lunches other times too & are still looking for the times when we can REALLY get into some trouble!!!

Maureen (Moe) came to Texas a little over a month ago and I drove out to meet her. We had a wonderful visit!! It ended way too soon but I was leaving ;D town that weekend & couldn't go back - would have loved to watch her son dive!  Hopefully, we get together again sometime, especially if/when she moves back to Texas!!

I am to meet with Dale (dalern) for dinner on June 6th and am so excited!

Was supposed to meet up with Donnalynn when I was in Canada last year but didn't work out (darn!). Thought we were going back this year but didn't make it. We're going to keep trying though!!

Seems like there should be more but I guess there were SO many at the Symposium...what great friends I've made thru this site!  My friend started a Down syndrome support group in Amarillo - they call other DS people "cousins" b/c they all look somewhat alike. I think we are all cousins b/c we have so much in common...& some of us even have matching faces!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Phyl ~

I've met many ANers - including you - at the semi-annual brunch held at  Maxwell's Toolhouse in Worcester, Massachusetts - but that's about it.   We don't do much traveling and there are very few ANers in my state (Joe F. is an exception).  We met Liz ('Lizard') and her husband at the October, 2009 AN brunch and had hoped to meet them locally (they live a few towns over) for lunch one day - but, as sometimes happens, we just never quite got around to it.  I did run into a lady who had AN surgery about a decade before my diagnosis.  We met her and her husband a year or so after my AN surgery at a marriage seminar our church was sponsoring.  Unfortunately, she'd developed facial paralysis post-op and it was never really addressed or resolved.  I almost felt guilty telling her about my good surgical & radiation outcome - but she seemed genuinely interested.  I've seen her once since then, very briefly (leaving a mutual friend's home).  That's the extent of my meeting fellow ANers outside of the ANA forums.  However, I feel as if I've 'met' hundreds of AN patients over the past five years through these forums and I'm grateful to have been able to do so (and even help a few along the way).  :)       

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
K and Jim,

Great to hear that you all enjoy beyond the forums! :)

Shame on me... I forgot Mark and his loverly wife, with whom I had dinner last year during a business trip to N. CA.  Mark was my mentor here on the forums, as well as my guidance for Cyberknife.  Shame on me for forgetting to note him and our dinner last year.

Phyl

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Yes.

I met Patrick and his wife last year when they came to Chicago on vacation.

I met Barb when I went to Seattle last August for business.

I met Anna Maria and her husband for dinner last July when I was in New Jersey for vacation.  I met Wendy on a beach in New Jersey during that same vacation.

And, coincidentally, I'm meeting Dale tonight for dinner; she's in the Chicago area on a trip.

Jan
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:53:11 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Mei Mei and I met for lunch when she and her family visited Richmond back in February.

And my home is always hope for anyone here who wishes to stop by.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

I only have met people who have been on here and then to the symposiums.          Oh except for one WI lady who was on here long ago and we met when we were in Madison and she came to meet me.    That was some time ago but we have remained friends.      There some post symposium people who keep in good touch with.    They are not on here anymore either.    Plus 3 Iowa ANers who have got to meet.    I still keep in touch with 2 plus one I haven't met.                  I have enjoyed getting to know other ANers and getting to be of help to new ones.                       I would long gone from here if it wasn't my having the NF2 and hopefully done with surgery!                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
My wife and I were able to meet a few other AN patients at the Hospital before and after treatment. 
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Haven't got to meet anyone in person, yet.  BUT have many of new, great friends on Facebook.    With FB, it is like they are so much closer and you get to know them even better on many aspects vs. just the 'tumor' stuff.   Many of us have been great support for each other in many aspects in life....mostly being able to send many thoughts or pray for them or be happy, etc. with other events.     Feels like I have actually met many of them and they are like some of my ole schoolmates or something  ;)

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

ppearl214

• Administrator
Ya know... I KNEW these forums would reach out far beyond what we write/share here.... and that special "kinships" are made, whether in person, on the phones, other sites, etc.....  speaks volumes for what these forums do for us all! :)

Phyl

lori67

I've only gotten to meet a few people at my brief visit to the Chicago symposium - but keep in touch with quite a few via the forum, Facebook, e-mails and phone calls. 

I think you guys all need to make it a point to come to Virginia Beach!!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

I am coming,Lori, I am...I promise!!

Some of my best buds & super support (not for AN but for my crazy life lately!) are from this wonderful group of people!  You know who you are & I love you...wouldn't have made it lately without you!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

opp2

I've met Adrienne, and a couple of folks who don't come on here often, if at all, and then some that have...yardtick, and there may be a couple of more that i've met at Toronto support group meetings. I really want to go to next Tuesday's meeting but I'll be away on training so it won't workout. I do keep in contact with a few ANers from here on FB.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.