Author Topic: Is it really beneficial to have a gold eye weight?  (Read 4139 times)

jilljpower

Is it really beneficial to have a gold eye weight?
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:27:21 pm »
Hi ANA friends,
I had my AN removed 6/2009 and have right side facial paralysis with some recovery as of today.  Last July (2010) I had a gold weight put in my eyelid to help close my eye and because I thought I would have to use less eye ointment... Not the case.  I use just as much ointment and I feel like the weight traps particles and eye goop in my eye under my eyelid.  My right eyelid is now droopy which makes me look more asymmetrical than I already am.  Has anyone else had these problems and find that they are better off without the weight? 

I am in the process of meeting with occuplastic Dr's to try and get the weight removed.  I have a feeling, because I still don't have a lot of muscle strength in my eyelid, that the Dr's may deny me.  I am wondering what I can say to convince them that I am better off without it.  I did fine protecting my cornea for a year before the weight and have total feeling in my eye and paralyzed right side.

Also, has anyone had a gold weight replaced with a lighter one?  Was that successful?  Any info is helpful. 

Thanks so much, Jill
4cm AN, debulked 6/22/09 Redwood City, CA Kaiser.  1 gram platinum gold weight in eyelid.  Nerve intact, but full facial paralysis.  Cross Facial Nerve Graft- 2step process 11/2011 and 7/2012.  Try blogging, it has been great therapy for me.  www.jilljoyousjourney.blogspot.c

Kaybo

Re: Is it really beneficial to have a gold eye weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:24:49 pm »
Jill~
I definitely had mine replaced to get the right weight...2 times from the original, in fact.  However, I would not recommend that.  I am finding that, while the operations are very easy, all the wear 7 tear on that super sensitive skin is not the best.  I love having a weight...I can go from using Refresh PM 24/7 to using it just at night and using Systane drops (just in morning)!  I must say I am a bit surprised by your experience - I would definitely talk to the Dr. about it (you probably already have)...

Don't know if this helped at all...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!