Author Topic: So my hearing can get worse after Gamm Knife Treatment??  (Read 14152 times)

Phillies

So my hearing can get worse after Gamm Knife Treatment??
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:19:36 am »
Hello,

I was just diagnosted with a 2.6 cm x 2.5cm x 2.5cm AN on my right side. I have hearing loss and ear ringing when there is noise but zero balance issues. I'm still able to talk on the phone with my bad ear but it gets hard when there is alot of background noise. I also get some sound distortion in my bad ear with certain sounds. I have my consultation for the Gamma Knife in a little over a week and a consultation with a brain dr in a few weeks as well.  From what I was told on the phone I am a candidate for the gamma treatment. From doing my research I think I've decided if the biggest issue I have is just the ear ringing, then surgery is probably not my best best.

Anyway,  I been reading this boards, and maybe reading them wayyy too much...   All i seem to find on here are people talking about how their hearing got worse after Gamma Knife. I have functional hearing in my bad ear right now and I would hate to see my hearing get worse becasue of the gamma knife...  But perhaps the amount of people who have further hearing loss at gamma is small?  I'm guessing people are more prone to post on these boards when they have issues rather than to post success stories....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: So my hearing can get worse after Gamm Knife Treatment??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59:27 am »
I didn't choose radiation myself - I chose surgery - but oftentimes after GK the tumor swells (before it dies) and that leads to decreased hearing.  This is not always permanent.

As for the people who frequent the Forum, your suspicions are somewhat correct.  We have lots of people who only post when they are trying to make their treatment decision, when they first finish treatment, or when they encounter a problem.  However, over the years more and more of us with success stories stick around.

The phrase "success stories" is pretty subjective.  Lots of people that some might feel have "issues" are huge successes to us.  Prime example in my mind is Kaybo.  She's been through a lot, but in my book she's one of the biggest success stories on the Forum.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:10 am »
Phillies

Your doctor should advise you on this matter.  I have Cybercafe radiation last November.  Before they even started they explained that there is a good chance at losing some hearing but afterwards there is an 80-85% chance of have serviceable hearing on the AN side.  They were correct I have lost some hearing on my AN side but with the help of a hearing aid, it is not an issue.

Good luck

TJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:13:36 am »
Phillies .....

Welcome to this forum!  I did not have radiation, but I have a very good friend who did for her AN.  Before she was diagnosed, she had a brief period of some hearing loss.  A course of steroids brought it back.  A couple of months later she had gamma knife (over a year ago now).  She never has experienced had any further hearing issues, even with the post-treatment swelling.  One year MRI showed some darkening of the tumor and no additional growth.  In other words, she is a huge success story!

Best wishes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Phillies

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:06:55 am »
Thanks for the info. These are questions I will be asking the doctors in the next few weeks but until then I figured I could ask on here.  These boards haved been very informative and somewhat destructive too.  I get involved for hours reading these boards, hearing all these horror stories and I get depressed.  I start thinking that gamma knife is worse than doing nothing... But once I get off the boards, get back to doing my regular routine I really don't feel too bad. So I'm going to force myself from visiting here too often.... :)

But thanks again for the info :)

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »
You are too kind to me, Jan - thanks for your sweet words. I'm just a girl trying to do the best I can with what God gave me. Lemons to lemonade & all that!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »
Hi, Phillies - and welcome.  Although I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with an AN, I'm glad you've discovered the ANA discussion forums.

You're now in the midst of one of the most difficult parts of the AN journey.  Choosing a treatment.  All have inherent risks of some kind.  There is no 'magic bullet'.  Unfortunately, hearing loss can occur with the Gamma Knife treatment.  It can also occur with other radiation approaches and definitely with microsurgery.  However, I hasten to add that hearing loss is not necessarily a certain outcome with any AN-related procedure and the level of loss (if any) can - and does - vary with each AN patient. We realize that every newly-diagnosed AN patients seeks the best possible treatment with the best chance of a complication-free outcome.  I did.  The reality is that this kind of tumor, although benign, is in a difficult place and every procedure has it's risks.  The uncertainty can be frustrating but we all have to deal with it.  Performing the research needed to arrive a treatment decision/doctor/facility that you're comfortable with, as you've noted, can be arduous and eventually, depressing.  It is also unavoidable. 

The key point to keep in mind is that everyone is unique and one (or ten) AN cases that ended with complications for the patient are not automatically a template for every AN patient.   Many of us had excellent outcomes to AN surgery and/or radiation.  I'm just one of them.  Like you, immediately following my diagnosis I jumped on the internet and found this website, among others.  I was a bit dismayed with the posts relating sometimes painful, debilitating and/or intractable problems some AN patients experienced, post-op or post radiation.  I was determined to choose the 'best' doctor I could find and to avoid these sorts of problems.  I also prayed a lot about my situation.  Long story short: I found an excellent AN neurosurgeon, underwent AN 'debulking' surgery (including severing the tumor's blood supply) and suffered no concomitant problems.  90 days later, as planned, I underwent 26 FSR (radiation) treatments to destroy the remaining tumor's DNA.  These were relatively uneventful and successful (the tumor 'died').  Yes, I'm a 'success story' and so are many others who take the time and make the effort to post on these forums. However, these forums are mainly here to advise, inform and most of all, support AN patients.  Obviously, those experiencing problems related to AN treatment are going to be well represented and we're glad to help them in whatever way we can.  With that caveat, I hope you'll continue to pursue the website and the message boards, not avoid them.  Feel free to ask any question you may have.  These are active forums and you'll usually receive a reply within a short time.  We're here to help.  I hope we can help you.  Please allow us to try - and thanks for registering and posting.

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Phillies

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 08:26:47 pm »
Thanks for the nice reply. I do feel better now :)  I enjoyed the nice weather today and I was even able to forgoet about my ear ringing  for some periods of time. Which for me, is my worst issue as of right now. I'll check these boards from time to time as I proGress with my treatment plan but I wil be sure I no longer go crazy reading every horror story I can find on here. It doesn't do me any good. But hopefully since my hearing isn't too terrible right now that will give me a better chance of having somewhat decent hearing after everything is said and done.  

Thanks,

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 01:50:35 pm »
I was also diagnosed (accidental find) with almost same size AN as yours 2+ years ago. Still good hearing, no balance or other noticeable issue except occasional tinnitus (when tired or stressed).
I consulted 3 well known neuro surgeons in New York. All 3 recommended, if nothing bothers, then wait-and-watch but GK option was no-no (because of size of AN). 2 of 3  surgeons did both GK & micro-surgery.
All 3 said micro-surgery is the option(when and if) & one surgeon hinted FSR (reason not enough data). I take "Noni & Goji fruit extract" capsules as vitamins supplement  and walking 2-3 miles  daily as a routine.
Last MRI check-up (8+ months ago) actually showed AN to be 2.5cm x2.5cmX2.4cm size & I intend to take next MRI in Aug. 2011 (after 1 year) .
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

Phillies

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 07:59:49 pm »
So a 2.5cm x2.5cmX2.4cm tumor was too big for GK?  My size is very similiar and I have my GK consultaion next Monday. From the quick phone call I had with the secretary she said that my MRI was looked over and I'm apparently good for the GK but now you got me nervous. Why did the doctors say your size is too big for GK??

This is why I try not to read these boards too much...    >:(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:02:52 pm by Phillies »

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »
Like Jim said "All (procedures) have inherent risks of some kind.  There is no 'magic bullet'.
Doctors said because of location, I have more chances of developing "hydrophilus" and other symptoms like hearing loss. Your AN location might be different or better located for GK.
Either way, wishing you good luck and better decision. 
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

Phillies

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
Thank you  :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:01:37 pm »
Phillies -

most docs who do radiation will radiate an AN up to 3 cms, but there have been a few reports on the Forum of docs who will radiate an AN greater than 3 cms.

As others have mentioned, location is also a factor when considering radiation.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:07 am »
Location is also very important in addition to size.
Regarding hearing preservation, my doctors had warned me that I would lose my hearing after GK and it did indeed happen. At least it happened so gradually that it didn't really bother me.
 My observation though from the forum is that many people retained hearing post radiation, GK or CK when they had smaller tumors. If hearing preservation is very important for you fractionated treatments like CK may be more beneficial.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Phillies

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »
Maybe it's because I'm finishing up my 3 weeks of steroids but my hearing has greatly improved the past two days. I was even talking on the phone using my AN ear and was able hear even in a noisy environment. Reading all these posts makes me feel like the treatments are almost as bad as not doing nothing. My hearing in my AN side is nowhere near perfect but right now it's not that bad from what I can tell especially compared to what is was when I first learned of my AN. It seems like a real shame that any treatment of my AN might just make things worse :(  I see the gamma knife dr on Monday