Author Topic: Pre-op questions  (Read 8913 times)

Pruneface

• 3.5 cm tumor; Surgery planned for June 13
Pre-op questions
« on: April 10, 2011, 04:25:58 pm »
I have not had surgery yet; that will happen next month.  Please tell me how you felt immediately after the surgery, how long did the facial palsy last, how long were you forced to stay in bed, etc.  Any information would be helpful; I feel like a pest asking silly questions, but I like to go into such a situation with some foreknowlege.  Don't get me wrong, the doctor and his staff are very helpful, but I'm looking for what they may consider non-esstential information.  Thanks!

Cheryl R

Pre-op questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:03:46 pm »
Pruneface,  We say here that the first 3 days don't count as you may not feel good at all.    Each person varies with pain levels, nausea, dizziness, vision.          You are in ICU overnight and will be in bed overnight and possibly very very sleepy and hardly awake. You will have a tube in the bladder for urine and will have oxygen on.       Once get to a regular room the next day will keep catheter or bladder tube till can walk.    They will try to get you up soon and going.       You may have poor appetite.    Not everyone has facial palsy so just wait and see how that goes.     That depends on how the surgery went and if the nerve had damage.   Your dr can tell you more about your own case.            Every hospital has their own routine with post AN surgery.          Make sure to ask for medicine if have pain or nausea as don't want it to get too bad.    It varies if one is dizzy or not but the balance will feel off and walking more when feel able will help the brain adjust.   You may be very tired yet and want to sleep alot.      The first couple weeks are very tiring and one can feel like they will never get better but it DOES!          I was up walking on my own very soon with no help.     Some need a walker and always someone with them when walk.     The bandage on the head is tight and varies with the dr's protocol how long it is on.             You won't need much with you at the hospital.      Lip balm is our biggie and if want your own pjs in time then have some with button front or bigger neck.      A robe for out walking too.                           Keep asking what ever questions you think of and we are here to help!
                                                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Pruneface

Re: Pre-op questions
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:33:05 pm »
Thank you SO MUCH, Cheryl.  These are the kinds of details I've been looking for!

Pat

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:35:40 pm »
Pruneface ~

First: welcome to the ANA discussion forums.  Second: your screen name brings me back to my childhood when 'D*** Tracy' was one of my favorite comic strips, although the 'Pruneface ' character/villain was just a bit before my time.

Nurse Cheryl has saved me a lot of typing by graciously offering you a comprehensive overview of the AN surgery hospital experience.  One that I cannot improve upon, so I'll simply repeat my welcome and add that I hope you'll return to the ANA discussion forums whenever you seek information, advice and/or support.  That's what we do here.  :)  

Jim
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:37:18 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:11:24 pm »
More to add,      You might keep the IV in for a few days or they may cap it off once you are drinking.      I was always on a fluid restriction and wasn't much in a drinking mood so didn't matter.     They will pay attention to how much you drink and put out.     One frequently takes a stool softener too.    One has to pay attention to having a BM as the pain med can cause constipation.    Take the pain meds anyway to keep comfortable.     You won't be taking them forever.    There are several bowel meds to try if needed.              I did not mention the ted sox you will have on plus a type of stocking wrapped around your leg which inflate and deflate to keep the circulation going in your legs to prevent blood clots.      How long those are on depends on their protocol but at least tll you are up a lot walking.                  There can be a funny or metallic taste in your mouth and this can last for days to weeks.     Drink anyway even if is just water.       You will be on IV steroids and that can make people more awake.  Depends on the person.     Some drs send pts home on oral steroids and some do not.                       I also like to mention that if one does end up with facial issues which would include dry eye,then simple tears are not enough and one needs heavier liquigel for day use or for some a heavy gel for day and then always at night.   Occ the eye can feel a bit dry for a short time even with no paralysis and drops or gel is needed.            Always ask the nurses too if you have any questions.               I am now a retired nurse and never knew the AN s were in my future.     I only worked at a small hospital so knew very little about them till got one and then later on the other side and found to be NF2.                I also like to tell newbies not to over push yourself to prove to yourself that you will have a normal life again.    We do and maybe with some adjustments but there is life again!
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »
Hi Pat and welcome to this forum .....

Cheryl has done a great job explaining what to expect during post-op.  Much depends upon your general health pre-surgery and how easy or difficult it is for the neurosurgeon to remove your tumor.  Some tumors come out fairly intact, while others are sticky in nature.  That is why no one, not even the doctor, can tell you for sure until after they see your particular situation what your recovery will be like for sure.

What is the date of your surgery?  Where?  Unfortunately I am going through this again (very unusual so do not panic) so I will be in surgery again on May 11th.  We can probably share "war stories."   ;D

Prayers for all involved.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

deheisel11

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 05:39:09 pm »
Pat,
For me, the first couple of days I was in LALA Land.  The third day I was pretty good and walking short distances.  I had no discomfort in my head even after several days without steroids.  However, my tailbone hurt like HECK for about 8 weeks since I was on my back during the 9 hour surgery.  I have heard of only a couple of people who had that problem.  I was one of those with facial paralysis on my right side.  My facial nerve had been transsected and the ends approximated with surgery wax.  I am in my 11th month.  I have perfect symmetry in my face now except for the droopy right eyelid.  New areas are slowly coming back.  Many people that have the surgery do not end up with facial problems.  I just added my experience so that if you do get paralysis you will know that good things can happen later.  There are plenty of stories on the facial section.  Best wishes for a great outcome.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

Stephanie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 07:42:44 pm »
Hi, I agree Cheryl did an awesome job explaining.
I just wanted to add the countless times they will take your blood, blood pressure and in my case at least, they did xrays about 6 times. But I was in ICU for 5 days. Oh, how I hated the leg cuffs!
I am 8 1/2 months out and still have partial facial paralysis on my left side but I have so much more movement now then I did in the beginning. It can take a very long time to show movement and like others have commented, it is different for everyone.
I also just finished my vestibular therapy today! (Yeah!!) I started the day after I was released from the hospital (the second time). I had no idea I would be doing therapy for so long but it truley is worth it.
If you do end up with facial paralysis, hold your lip closed when you are rinsing after you brush your teeth, I didn't realize the extent of my paralysis until I brushed my teeth and rinsed for the first time and had it spill out all over me :)
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

moe

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:23:19 pm »
Hi Pruneface  :D and welcome to the forum!

No 2 post op stories are the same, but you CAN expect to feel like doo doo for the first few days. Just sleep through what you can and ask for pain meds or nausea meds.

I personally was out of bed the day after surgery eating (the doctors were AMAZED), and walking with the physical therapist the following day. I had little to no dizziness or balance problems (just severe weakness due to blood loss, which is not the norm), because the other side had completely compensated.

Mine was med-large and complicated and this is NOT the norm.

Get through those couple of days in ICU, then to the regular floor for a couple of days, and hopefully you'll be home recuperating with lots of rest, fluids, naps, and gentle walks. That's it (oh and eat too).
There is NO rush, this surgery takes weeks to recover from , but you can do it!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:52 pm »
No question is ever silly here.

I was lucky enough to only have slight facial paralysis a day or two post op and a dose of steroids cleared it up.  Everyone is different though.

As for being forced to stay in bed, no one will force you.  As soon as you feel up to it, they'll get you on your feet and walking. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kenneth_k

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:10:36 pm »
My temporary facial palsy resolved within 2 months. I did facial exercises to speed the process.

Now I have slight synkinises, slight noticable assymmetry and sometimes dry eye (HB 2). The doctors consider this satisfactory, and so do I ;)

Kenneth

moe

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 11:18:14 am »
Glad you got the date set!
 Please let us know what kind of questions you have about the surgery or post op, and we will be happy to help :D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

JAndrews

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »
I can tell you my experience but it would help to know what kind of surgery you are having? what approach are they going into your head? your profile says lesion. Is it an acoustic neuroma?
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Mark241

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:35:33 am »
Wellcome Pruneface! Ha Ha great screen name. Cheryl did a great job explaining, and Clarice, I'm praying for great surgery and quick recovery!
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Pruneface

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:07 am »
JAndrews,

I have a 3.5cm acoustic neuroma (vestibular schwannoma) on my right side.  It is affecting four nerve areas, along with touching my cerebellum.  My family doctor called it a "lesion," but the neurosugens call it a "tumor."  I guess the family doc wanted to lighten the message a bit (a recorded telephone call).

Pat