Author Topic: Dr. Jack Rock  (Read 6713 times)

Jane H

Dr. Jack Rock
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:06:08 am »
Has anyone heard of Dr. Jack Rock from Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit? He along with Dr. Michael Seidman will be doing my husbands surgery on june 6th. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Jane H.

ibelieve2

Re: Dr. Jack Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:39:31 am »
Jane,

I asked my Doctor - where would he have surgery if he was diagnosed; his answer the University of Michigan Dr. Steve Telian.  He mentioned they have a greater than 80% success rate.

I was diagnosed with AN 4/24 and looking for options

Denise
ibelieve2.denise@gmail.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »
Dr. Telian is a stellar doc - great reputation, very experienced, and very personable (I met him @ the 2009 ANA Symposium in Chicago).  Not to discount him, but there are lots of docs who are comparable and some might even argue better, based on their personal experience.  I can think of several phenomenal docs off the top of my head - Brackmann & Friedman @ HEI, Tew in Cincinnati, Wiet (Richard) in Chicago, Roland & Golfinos in NYC, etc.  Many, many more.  And I'm sure that those of us on the Forum who had a positive result with our docs would add their name to the list - I wouldn't hesitate myself. 

I'm not sure there are any statistical studies to support a 80% success rate for Dr. Telian - and I have to ask success rate of what?  Positive outcomes? Complete tumor removal? Patients who didn't have CSF leaks?  In other words, what defines "success"?

A good place to start when searching for experienced, qualified docs who treat ANs is the main page of this website.  Check out the tab titled "Medical Resources", which lists both individual doctors and medical facilities that, although not recommended by the ANA, have passed a set of standards that the ANA subscribes to when treating ANs.  The medical centers listed are all considered to be ANA Centers of Excellence.

This is not to say that docs and/or medical facilities not listed on the main page aren't qualified, aren't experienced, or should be avoided, but it's a great place to start for those trying to find the best resources.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:15 am »
I went to the session that Telian and another Michigan dr did at the symposium and I thought they sounded very good.     Their hearing preservation rate is the same at the Univ of Iowa where I go with Dr Gantz said of his 75-80% success rate with smaller tumors and mid fossa.              Tumor location and if any damage to a nerve can play a part also.       Good luck with your choice.
                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:09 pm »
I may be wrong, but I think in general that the hearing retention rate for patients who have mid fossa is 75-80%.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

iluuvpups

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:11:58 am »
I consulted with Dr. Telian at UM before my surgery last May.  I also went to the Michigan Ear Institute and saw Dr. Kartush.  While I think both are great doctors, I went with Dr. Kartush because I understood that he had and does more AN surgeries than Dr. Telian.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

GretchenGoodWitch

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:27:18 pm »
Hi Jane
I had my surgery with Drs Rock and Seidman last year.  It fact it was my one year anniversary Saturday and I am going for my 2nd after surgery MRI tomorrow.  I felt my surgery was successful.  I went in on a Friday for the surgery and came home on Monday.  The nurses and other staff on the neurology floor at Henry Ford were terrific.  I felt very well taken care of.  I did not have any facial nerve damage but did lose my hearing on the one side.  I am still dealing with daily headaches.  Tylenol or Advil take care of them but I'm working on not having to take medicine every day.  Any questions - ask away.