Author Topic: Pre follow-up MRI jitters  (Read 4607 times)

cnrnocn

Pre follow-up MRI jitters
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »
 ???  So I go for my 1st F/U MRI- if insurance will cover it - in 2 weeks. Now I can't sleep very well and find myself going over  and over this site and articles etc. etc. etc. Planning for the worst and hoping for the best- yes I know the thing is small but ...Just venting I guess. On the plus side I am going to symposium and hope to meet some of you there.
2 mm on left at the cerebellar-pontine angle
watch and wait

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
  Robert Frost

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Pre follow-up MRI jitters
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:59:58 am »
cnrnocn .....

What you are feeling is so normal.  I doubt seriously if there is anyone who has or has had an acoustic neuroma who does not get anxious before an upcoming MRI.  When I let myself, I feel like I have this "little black cloud" hanging over my head ...... then I give myself a little pep talk and can usually go on with whatever I want or need to do ..... but it is not easy!

I'm looking forward to meeting you in Cincinnati.  It is a wonderful time to personally interact with others who know exactly what you are feeling without having to try to explain.

Many prayers for a "no growth" MRI!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 05:44:18 am »
Since this is your first follow up MRI....it is totally understandable to have these feelings...we've all been there.  I think its safe to say that most of the members of this site hate our follow up MRI's...check out what is written under my pic.   The MRI process itself doesn't bother me...its just the annual reminder that I have a "non-rent paying resident" in my head.  :)

Posting here is a great way to help with the stress, there are many caring members on this site that will support you...even talk to you if you need them to. 

Stay positive....wishing you a a great follow-up MRI!! 

GM

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Sheryl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »
Good luck and let us know how you make out.  Before you know it, you will be a long-time W&W like myself - 9-1/2 years!!!
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:08 pm »
cnrnocn

Stay positive - you will meet many W&W (yeah for 9.5 years for Sheryl).  It is an anxious time - I remember my second one was probably the most anxious (then I got the routine down about picking up my own CDs and determining growth prior to my follow appointment).

Don't let it ruin the next two weeks ... it is beautiful spring!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

cnrnocn

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:19:47 am »
 :D  So I am sitting in the doc's office in Mayo and guess what- NO TUMOR !!! It was a mistake- the 1st scan was done on old tech machine. My gosh, --months of thinking I had this- yes I saw the scan image- the Doc told me to go and live my life !!! Unbelievable--so my kind ANA support friends- Thank You for the invaluable info and support. I am sorry that I won't get to meet you in Cincinnati. God bless all of you.   :-*
watch and wait

Robert Frost

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:35:28 am »
Well, cnrnocn .....

I am so relieved that you do not have an AN and the perpetual concern of "Is it growing?" ...... but I am so disappointed that you are not coming to Cincinnati.  The ANA Symposiums are filled not only with valuable information but you get such "warm and fuzzy" connections with others walking the same path.  You can still come, you know!!

Very thankful for prayers answered for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cnrnocn

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:57:49 am »
Thank you  for the warm wishes- if gas was not so high I might just have gone to the symposium anyway for I love to learn about new things and see new places and last but not least meet all of you wonderful people  :D
watch and wait

Robert Frost

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »
cnrnocn ~

I'm so pleased to learn that you can put the burden of a possible AN and all that might have entailed behind you and, as your doctor said: "go and live your life".  I'll add: not only live it - but enjoy it (we only get one).  :)

Jim  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:46:39 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sheryl

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 03:33:32 pm »
cnrnocn - that was my dream back in 2001 when I had my second scan - "Oh, we made a mistake - there's nothing there".  Alas, it did not come to fruition but I am still on W&W with extremely minimal growth.

How wonderful for you - many, many years of good health to come.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W