Author Topic: BAHA - Skin Graft  (Read 7217 times)

Lynn Mc

BAHA - Skin Graft
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:01:06 am »
Hi All...
I am scheduled for BAHA surgery April 8th.  At my pre-op Dr. Merchant mentioned that they will be taking a skin graft from my upper arm for the site.  Anyone else have a graft?  Why do they do this versus killing the hair follicles?  How was the healing process?  Guess I should have asked him more questions but I was way to nervous (don't want anyone touching my head) I wasn't able!  BUT I can ask here!

Thanks A Bunch,
Lynn & the 4 Legged Furry Crew
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Puppylove

Re: BAHA - Skin Graft
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:25 pm »
Hi Lynn,

I just had my BAHA surgery 2 days ago, and they did not take any skin graft. They basically shaved a little spot on my head, gave me the local anesthesia (which was the worse part) and screwed that little rod in to my head. I was awake for the whole thing. I was so nervous going in to the surgery, but it really was not bad at all. I got all worked up for nothing ;)

Good luck! I'm just waiting my 3 months now.  :)

Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »
Hi Lynn,

I had my Baha surgery over a year ago. I did not have a skin graft- it was just a quick, painless procedure. I'm curious what the skin graft is all about. I don't think I've heard it mentioned before from other Baha users, perhaps you should question your doctor about the reason for it.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:46 am »
Lynn -

skin grafts for BAHA implants are not standard procedure.  I've heard of one other patient having one, but the vast majority do not.

I'm not a doctor, but IMO, it's a totally unnecessary procedure unless you run into a healing issue with your BAHA site.  A lot of docs resort to a skin graft if the site doesn't heal properly (not common at all).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:34 am »
I have that open "bald" area around the abutment and did not get the skin graft. I would imagine that would just be another chance of small complication~ if the skin graft doesn't take. This seems more for appearance reason.

Is your hair real short, and did the doc give you the option, or did he just say he was going to do a skin graft.

Like others have said, we haven't seen this at all on the forum....Not too late to ask more in depth questions if you think you don't want or need  the graft. You should be able to call and make appointment with either the doctor or one of his residents if you wish.

The main goal IMO is to keep the abutment area clean and infection free. Having a skin graft there would make it more confusing and difficult ::)

Anyway, just make sure you feel comfortable with what he is going to do. It is not too late to cancel the graft, if you so desire.
Let us know how things go!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:44:31 am »
I've never heard of a skin graft being done for the BAHA either.  Seems to me it would be more to worry about in the long run - now you have two surgical sites to maintain and keep clean and free of infection.

I would ask the doctor about it also - maybe there are some other circumstances he is taking into consideration that made him decide to go this route.  If he says it's standard procedure for him, I think I'd do a little more research before having the surgery.  That's just my opinion - the important thing is that you feel comfortable with your decision.  Maybe you can ask if any of his previous BAHA patients who have had the graft would be willing to talk to you about their experience.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:52:14 am »
I am now 1 month post abutment.  All healed really good.  As far as the skin graft it was a piece of cake.  Healed perfectly.  Dr. Merchant has tried all different procedures for this and feels this is the best way.  2 months and counting... Can't wait!
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:45:53 pm »
Hopefully you did not have a  tattoo on your upper arm that is now parked behind your ear!

Lynn Mc

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:19:30 am »
No Tatoo!!!!!  Waiting for my date in July!!!  Can't come soon enough!
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Sam Rush

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 03:09:08 pm »
For our education, you should ask the Dr. what was the point of the skin graft?? They routinely raise a skin flap at the site, which does the same thing without an extra scar or healing worries. I'm very curious. 
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 03:32:52 pm »
No skin graft during my abutment placement last week with Dr. Friedman at HEI.  Sure hope mine heals uneventfully since I will not be coming back out here in three months for the processor (or less for any other reason).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lynn Mc

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 07:45:10 am »
Sam:
The explanation to me was that he has had the best results with the graft.  This also insures that there are no hair follicles.  He also stated that this was better in the long term.  His reason for that I am not sure.  Will ask in July. The whole thing was very uneventful.

Clarice:
Bet you can't wait for he processor!!!!
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 10:40:44 pm »
Is healing time with a skin graft longer than it is with the "regular" implant surgery (i.e., without a skin graft)?

Just curious,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lynn Mc

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:43:08 am »
I couldn't get the area wet for 2 weeks.  That was it.  Bacitracin daily now.  It was relatively quick I feel.

Lynn
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"