Author Topic: BAHA abutment at same time as surgical removal  (Read 10314 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: BAHA abutment at same time as surgical removal
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
I remove my BAHA when I wear a hat, work outdoors, etc, and do not put it right back on. I listen to music a lot, without the BAHA on, and do not have a very critical ear, and it really does not bother me to listen without the BAHA. But, I still enjoy the music.

This kind of goes back to one of my replies about one of "us" mourning the loss of their hearing, and it depressing them. I understand  the loss of the hearing, being depressed, and being SSD, but  but my approach was, if you are almost SSD, it probably won't have that much impact on you when you loose it all. If you had perfect hearing or 80% hearing and then you lost it all tomorrow, that would be a profound difference. I had 15% when I had a translab, and it just did not bother me to be SSD...darn near deaf anyway!  You have 20% remaining, not much better than mine. But, you are a musician, probably have a critical ear, and your loss of 20% might bother you. I will bet the loss of the hearing will not bother you as much as the loss of stereo hearing will bother you. SSD is not that bad to me, but the loss of stereo bothers me a lot.

In any event, life goes on, you will enjoy your music, and it will continue to add value to your life. WE are survivors. There is a lot of LIFE out there just waiting for us to participate in. Don't let SSD keep you from enjoying it.

James

Ancora Imparo Girl

• Ancora Imparo Girl
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:01:00 pm »
Clarice,

I'm always happy to meet people in the music industry when the same issues as I have. Maybe happy isn't the word I am looking for - since it's a real pain when we have hearing issues. Nevertheless, I'm glad to know that I am not the only one in the world with these problems. This forum is wonderful.

I am an editor and publisher for Sweet Adelines International. Have you heard of us? I don't sing, but I am extremely immersed in the industry.

I wish you loads and loads and tons and tons of luck getting the BAHA - I think we will both love it. Medical science is incredible.

- Joey Mechelle
Translab surgery, simultaneous BAHA sleeper insertion 5/4/11 (no complications) • BAHA Abutment insertion 8/10/11 (device activation 9/14 - hopefully) • I'm a 38-year-old, single mom, magazine editor, volunteer, friend, daughter, niece, grand-daughter and music lover.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 02:49:11 pm »
Joey Mechelle .....

Although I am not in a barbershop group, I am very familiar with Sweet Adelines International.  Wonderful singing!  You know very well, then, how important it is to have sound input from both sides.

I am deep in the throes of trying to decide between the Cochlear and the Oticon ..... wish there was a way to test each one before total deafness occurs.  I'm afraid it would not be very reliable to demo either one at the moment, when I still have partial hearing in the AN ear.

Best to you, as well!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 01:11:05 pm »
Dear Clarice,
Have you tried checking into the TransEar and the Sonitus which was just passed by the FDA?
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 02:45:18 pm »
Clarice, I would demo them both anyway, even if you have not lost all your hearing.  You will see which style suits you, how the buttons/controls feel and you will hear some difference even with out having ALL your hearing gone.  Hands on is the best way for you to gauge what is best for you.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 03:55:30 pm »
Dale .....

Good point about checking out the mechanics/style of both.  Just looking at pictures of the two processors does not give you the actual way they work.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Mei Mei .....

I have pretty much eliminated both the Transear and the Sonitus ..... the Transear because I have very tiny (and itchy) ear canals so it would be problematic to try to fit the device tightly in my ear without major discomfort.  The Sonitus because I just do not like the thought of having something in my mouth to deal with when eating and/or singing.

So, I pretty much will be left being totally SSD or using a BAHA.

Thanks for the suggestions, however.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011