Author Topic: BAHA abutment at same time as surgical removal  (Read 10316 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
BAHA abutment at same time as surgical removal
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:01:02 pm »
OK.  In an effort to be fully informed ......  Two doctors have already told me I will lose the rest of my hearing, no matter what ..... as this regrowth continues to grow or when a translab is done to totally remove it.  Since music (both from participating and listening standpoints) is a HUGE part of my life, I am tossing around the idea of a BAHA.

1)  Since I still have 20% of my hearing in the AN ear now, I do not think I could get a valid idea of how useful it would be for music with a demo BAHA, until after my hearing is totally gone.  Is that an accurate thought?  In other words, would I be taking a big risk that it might not even be helpful with music?

2)  How many of you had your BAHA abutments implanted at the same time as your AN removal surgery?  Does that complicate the recovery process?  Any greater danger of infection because of it?

3)  If I had the abutment implanted during surgery by a doctor/medical facility in one location, is it possible to get the processor when I get back home in another location?

4)  Since I have already had a suboccipital approach the first time around, the next would be translab ..... does that mean a problem for placement of the abutment?

You'd think I'd know these things by now ...... Little did I realize I should have been paying closer attention!!!

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: BAHA abutment at same time as surgical removal
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:05:04 pm »
I had a translab and had the BAHA implant done at the same time. No problem! The screw/abutment was put in place, but they covered it with my scalp rather than leaving it exposed to minimize infection. I went back 3 months later to finish the "scalping" and turned on 2 weeks later. Where they place the implant depends on the thickness of your scalp. Cochlear suggests the proper location, but that probably leaves the surgeon some flexibility.

deheisel11

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:50 am »
Clarice,
I also had translab and the BAHA base done at the same time.  I also had no problems.  For one reason and another, I did not have the site exposed until two weeks ago.  The skin over the site was too thick so they had to thin the skin before placing the attachment.  I get my BAHA on the 31st of this month.  I had the base put in at the same time in an effort to minimize surgery, but I still needed surgery.  Anyway, I still believe that having it done at the same time is an excellent option.  Best wishes.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:00:57 am »
Thanks for the success stories!  Still gathering information on the differences between the Oticon and the Cochlear.  Looking especially for feedback from those of you who have the Oticon .....

Clarice
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:57:58 am by CHD63 »

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:01:17 pm »
Sorry to tell you this, but BAHA does not help much with music appreciation.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »
Sorry to tell you this, but BAHA does not help much with music appreciation.

What do you mean by that?  I enjoy music with my bilateral Bahas and love it. 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:30:20 am »
Through my BAHA, music sounds scratchy  to me, like a weak AM radio station.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:37:24 pm »
Through my BAHA, music sounds scratchy  to me, like a weak AM radio station.

I wouldn't know what the real music sounds like because I never had normal hearing all of my life.  Born deaf and wore hearing aids since I was 1 year old.  I learn to appreciate what I have now and got used to it.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:51:44 pm »
Sam .....

Could this possibly be corrected/improved through a programming adjustment?  I can't remember when you got yours, so I do not know if they have improved that part with the latest models.  Also, wondering if it has anything to do with how good your normal ear is .....  So far, my non-AN ear has perfectly normal hearing at all frequencies.  I do have hyperacussis so I am most distressed in movie theatres, loud restaurants, and loud music concerts.  Wonder how the BAHA will be for me in those situations?

Like Kencutus says, he has learned to appreciate what he has.  I hope I can do that!

Clarice

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »
A leader in my DC local support group I think had her BAHA implanted at the same time as her surgery.   I think her name is Patricia.   I will ask her to write to you.   Her surgery was at HEI.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:56:29 pm »
Clarice~
I still REALLY enjoy music with just one ear - of course, I don't hear it the same way you do, since you are trained in that area.  The way I see it, it is better to get it when you have the translab and then decide which way you like to listen to music better - you can always take it off!  Whether you have the BAHA or not, unforunately, you still won't be able to hear out of that ear.  DO IT!!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Ancora Imparo Girl

• Ancora Imparo Girl
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
Clarice,
Are you a singer or teacher?

I work in the music industry and I must say, my SSD has really affected me. I got to take home the BAHA simulator yesterday and it helps a little with the listening part, but not a lot. I do anticipate that once I get the real thing I might notice some difference.

I am also getting a simultaneous AN translab and Baha in April - a lot of your questions are some of the same questions I had. Thanks for asking them.

Good luck with everything!

- Joey
Translab surgery, simultaneous BAHA sleeper insertion 5/4/11 (no complications) • BAHA Abutment insertion 8/10/11 (device activation 9/14 - hopefully) • I'm a 38-year-old, single mom, magazine editor, volunteer, friend, daughter, niece, grand-daughter and music lover.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 01:22:03 pm »
Joey .....

I am both a singer and an accompanist.  I no longer do solo work, but still sing in two choral groups and it is most frustrating not to have accurate hearing of my own voice while surrounded by other singers.  Similar problem when I accompany, it makes me uneasy not to hear the performer(s) clearly to be accurate in my accompaniment level, etc.

I was a choral music teacher for many years and a church organist all of my adult life (I am now retired from full-time at either one.)

Thanks for sharing your experience with the BAHA simulator.  I have not done that yet, because I still have partial hearing and not sure how much I would be able to tell until I am totally deaf in that ear.  That's why I asked the questions.

Best wishes to you and please let me know how it all goes.

Clarice

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 05:47:54 pm »
Combining AN and BAHA surgery is one of those doctor preference things.  Some docs combine, some don't.  Mine doesn't - but that's his personal choice.

I have no issues listening to music with my BAHA.  I use an MP3 adapter for my iPod but nothing but my processor when I listen to music in my car (either the radio or my iPod - I have a car adapter). 

I'm happy with the sound I hear, but I'm neither a musician nor a singer (except in my own mind)  ;D

When I use my iPod and the MP3 adapter, I use setting #3 on my BP100.  It's programmed for music.

I don't think demo'ing a BAHA prior to your AN surgery would be the best idea; if it were me, I'd wait.

Once you do try the demo though, keep in mind that the real thing is much better than the demo.  The demo is just the best they can show you without the actual surgery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 07:04:41 pm »
Jan .....

I will need to check in to the adapters for listening to music.  Right now, I find it much more satisfying to use my single sided stereo ear bud for hearing both channels.

It is the performance angle that has me concerned.  I have not checked with my insurance yet to see if they will pay for a BAHA, but if they do not, I am hesitant to shell out another $4,000 for hearing assistance if it is not going to be extremely satisfying ...... after spending $5,000 on two different hearing aids since my original AN surgery.

Thanks for the thoughts on the MP3 adapter.

Clarice