Author Topic: Throwing in the towel....  (Read 42330 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Re: Throwing in the towel....
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »
Pablo,

I was given a gift called a Bed Buddy that is made of rice and can be used as hot or cold.   I use it only for heat since I have gel packs or other for cold.  I really like it and thought of making my own too.     But for anyone not interested in making anything, those are availabe at most stores like Walmart or Walgreens or similar.

You also mentioned staying hydrated.  That is SO important.  I was just at a head pain institute and that is one thing they stress too.        (I drink pretty much only water, and about 80 ounces per day, I was told that was really good)

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

cin605

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:50 am »
I agree...I drink alot of water....gotta have it!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 06:50:07 pm »
Felling a bit better today...no i did not take up drinking dailey.. ;D
I did sign up for a trial membership at the gym up the street....I was going for a nap ...when i remebered they had a hot tub there...grabbed a towel and my suit and went.
headed straight for the tub soaked for 20min.....felt great.
cost alot to be a member though.....$49.00 per month...but i am going to go everyday for a week and if it helps i will cut back somewhere else...cable?100,000 channels nothing on.
Jim look i got a whole profile pic up! ;)
43yrs old

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 07:24:21 am »
Cindy .....

Love your picture!  Somehow it always seems more personal to see a picture .....

Thanks.   And, yay for the Y trial membership.  I always feel better after exercising ..... it is just the motivating myself to get down to the Y where I have a problem.   ::)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 08:30:05 am »
Cindy,
I also like your pic... Maybe I'll get one posted some day ::)
Throwing in the towel now has new meaning since you are soaking in the hot tub! ;D
 I would say  continue to enjoy your trial membership, then go for it. 49.00/mo =8 starbucks coffee (?)= a pedicure/manicure.
Justification is prudent! And no guilt trip if you decide to spend that money every month. At this point in our lives, it is all about taking care of ourselves so we can help take care of others.....
Maybe there are other classes there, yoga or pilates or whatever.
BTW I don't have grandkids but can only imagine the joy they bring! (Just teenager, and 2 college tuitions. How depressing is that?!)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cin605

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 12:26:34 pm »
I have no Grandkids either.....but ...i do have a 16 year old boy,who looks and acts just like me.... ::)
I am a single Mom......I have been since my son was 2,his father was an idiot so,i had to say BY BY......
I am so damn independant....i going to be 45 and never been married....was engadged for 6 years....
Only lived w/ two men in my life on was my first love ..who got killed in an ATV accident when we were 22...
So....squeezing the purse strings but i am going to do it! ;DThey also have Yoga and Zumba and Spin....i used to spin before surgery...but now its to intense.
I may try the yoga or pilaties.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:00:41 pm by cin605 »
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 01:17:39 pm »
Cindy ~

Congratulations on your new gym membership.  A good investment that I expect will be beneficial for you.  Congratulations too, on posting the new photo.  Nice job - looking good.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 02:08:12 am »
Yep, I've felt exactly like that.

AN-wise things seem okay. I narrowed my doctors down to a neurologist and eye doctor. I decided I don't like neurosurgeons so I only go for my yearly MRI check, and not even to the surgeon who did my surgery.

I can't seem to get myself to call a doctor for any of my other problems that keep cropping up (GI issues mostly), though. I just can't deal with the doctors anymore!

Enjoy your gym membership! My "distract yourself with stuff to do" plan was working for awhile but seems to be backfiring now that all my 'stuff to do' is pilin up and stressing me out.  :P
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

cin605

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:27 pm »
If every week was like this one i would be estatic.
Went for several walks.....ate lots of junk food too though...chocolate is helping.
Pain has been minimal balance not bad till i started cleaning my closet...sensory overload set in kept getting vertigo...tryed to ignore it and it turned into a full blown anxiety attack...had to stop and save the rest for the next day.I guess it was from looking at all the cloths and sorting them.
made some brownies w/ peanutbutter chips.
I have been more relaxed not running from place to place.
Lots of snow here lastnight but its melting fast.
Any one get sensory overload shopping?
I thought it was from the lights and isles but now i think its from seeing too much at once.
43yrs old

ombrerose4

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 07:06:32 pm »
I still get that sensory overload feeling from shopping in large stores, but it is not as bad as it was 6 months ago. I remember the first time I went into a supermarket- thank goodness I was with my daughter. She had to hold onto me because I was getting off balance and nauseous from all the colors. It's alot better now, but I do try to stay away from large stores when I am by myself.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

moe

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:23 pm »
Glad you had a better week, minus the vertigo.
Chocolate is good :) good therapy...

I HATE going into department stores. I get all disoriented and can't find my way back out to the car or mall entrance!
I do enjoy going to Kohl's. Everything there is always so nicely presented along the aisles. I also like going into consignment stores, where I can get dirt cheap, already worn clothes (good quality/brand names too). And the place is not crowded.

Glad to hear you are more relaxed too. Have you been back to the gym?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cin605

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 07:38:21 am »
No maureen i never did get back to the gym...I am hoping to sign up My son and I at Planet Fitness the price is 1/2 of the other membership.
sensory overload is strange...I get lost trying bto find the way out of stores sometimes too....whats even more frustrating is looking for the car after.
i love consighnment and thrifet stores too....maybe becouse of the small more relaxed atmosphere.
Weather is improving...Spring!
My head is tight today...i need to go grocery shopping    ::) Ick
my sister is trying to get me to go to her place for dinner...she is a little on the loud side..love her so.I may have to decline.
Allthogh the pot roast sounds good.Have a nice Saturaday!!
43yrs old

mrmel

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 08:27:19 am »
How long ago was your surgery? And what approach was done? Radical surgery? Gamma Knife? Let me know, then I may have some ideas.

Mel ~  Cindy's AN information is in her 'signature'.

DartmouthHitchcock medical center Lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:43:54 pm by Jim Scott »

cin605

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 03:20:13 pm »
Thanks jim!
43yrs old

mrmel

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
Is there anyone else that is at the point where they have just had enuf with the Drs,therapist endless running from place toplace ,person to person?I have gotten to a point where maybe nothing is going to help my sore neck and head spasms....i think i am going to stop all these appointments and just leave my body to try and work it out.
i have tried muscle relaxers,therapy,stretches,doing nothing,shots,tests,antibiotics,steroids,pain meds,grrr.
Sorry for the rambleing...its just way to over whealming.
Thanks for listening...Cindy
Hi Cindy, it looks like you are about 3 years out of your surgery. I am 14 years out translabrynth. If i remember back the retrosigmoid and suboccipitol were more difficult surgeries than mine, even though trust me, mine was traumatic enough. If it were me i would talk to your surgeon again and make him reassure you that what you are experiencing is not unusual for your surgery, so you can be relieved that it is not something that is going to send you back into another earth shattering problem. People like us, when we go through something like this, it does not take much to throw us into a panic. If you can put your trust in the doctor after they reassure you  and then ask again what you can do to help the symptoms, that should provide some comfort. Then if that is not helping you could seek some alternative medicine approaches. A real good physical therapy center that has one of the new balance and vestibular therapy systems can be a tremendous resource, and they can also help you with a lot of your symptoms. I am 14 years out and last summer I had a bout with some serious balance issues for the first time since my recovery. After going to the balance center for about 8 visits, they got me back on track, nailed down the deficits and told me i was never properly rehabilitated originally, because they did not have the technology 14 years ago. So things are changing and they are making new strides. Keep asking questions, and researching. Do not be afraid to bug the surgeons, they are the ones that drilled your skull!!!! I hope this helps.
                                      Mel