Author Topic: Is tinnitus worse after translab or retro?  (Read 11097 times)

mk

Is tinnitus worse after translab or retro?
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:50:48 am »

I know that it is quite common to have increased tinnitus or even onset of tinnitus after surgery. I was wondering if there is a correlation between the type of surgery and the tinnitus afterwards? In other words, does it make a difference if the inner ear structures remain (as in retrosigmoid) compared to translab which removes them entirely?
I was interested to see what the experiences here on the forum have been like.

Thank you,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Is tinnitus worse after translab or retro?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:37:48 am »
Marianna .....

I had retrosigmoid.  No tinnitus until after surgery.  Initially it was only in my AN ear, now I have it in my "good" ear, only not as loud.

From my limited research, some researchers think tinnitus is a function of the brain filling in for lessening auditory input.  However, I have perfectly normal hearing in my non-AN ear so that would not account for my developing tinnitus in that ear now.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

opp2

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:33:53 pm »
I have had tinnitus on the an side for over 12 years. After surgery it didn't get any worse. My tinnitus was sudden onset after a shooting incident with no ear plugs.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:16:00 pm »
Marianna ~

Because you asked: I underwent retrosigmoid approach AN surgery.  I had mild tinnitus in both ears prior to my diagnosis and it was unchanged, in either ear, after the surgery.  Fortunately, the tinnitus is relatively slight and I can ignore it. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
I had translab with some tinnitus before surgery...NO tinnitus after surgery....only when I gaze right or left, but not noticable unless I focus on the noise
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

mk

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:32:03 pm »

Thank you for your responses. Somehow I had the impression that more people in the forum have reported tinnitus after the retro procedure. I assumed that it may not be common with translab, since the entire hearing structure is removed.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 07:40:02 pm »
Hi Marianna
I guess I'm one of the ones who's noise got worse post-op.
I had my inner ear and ear drum removed and my tinnitus is very bad, mainly after a long day.  It's always there but when it gets loud (like a 1000 sparrows taking flight) it's hard to even concentrate.

Cheers,
♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Lynn Mc

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:25:58 am »
Marianna,

I had tinnitus prior to Translab & it worsened some after surgery.  It is also much worse if I am tooo tired or in a noisy place.  It is like your TV when all you are getting is snow & that wretched screech!
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Puppylove

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:53 am »
Hi,

I actually had no tinnitus until after I took steroids to try to bring my hearing back. After the steroids, I had minor tinnitus - very soft ringing in the ear. I had retrosig surgery 9 weeks ago and my tinnitus has gotten much louder. I can't ignore it anymore. :(
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:56 pm »
I had translab. I had tinnitus pre-op, and it got no better or worse after surgery. It's different, but not better or worse.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:02:13 pm »
My experience.

No tinnitus prior to surgery and no tinnitus after surgery (retrosigmoid).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 05:23:31 am »
I have had no change in my tinnitus since my translab. I did have some new sounds for a few days right after the surgery, but they stopped. I read in Discover Magazine that tinnitus is a sound generated in your brain, not in your ear. It is associated with your ear. Apparently there is a feedback system in your ear that notifies your brain of incoming sounds, and your brain notifies your ear it is okay to hear that sound. The problem begins with the system breaking down, and your brain starts generating the feedback...and you hear this in your brain, not in your ear. As the system degenerates more, sounds you hear change, get louder, softer, etc. I am SSD but I still hear those crickets in my deaf ear, but it is really in my brain not in my ear. And yes, tinnitus can change, because your brain is changing. I am fortunate because my tinnitus is mild and I accept that it is there and sometimes I just enjoy hearing my crickets.

James

kenneth_k

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:06:40 am »
Hi,

I had translab. The "I'm lying in my bed at night trying to fall asleep"- level of tinnitus is the same after surgery. However, I developed gaze evoked tinnitus, which means that the tinnitus gets a lot louder when I look towards the operated side. Furthermore, tinnitus increases with certain sounds or background noise, i.e. running water.

It is manageable though, and I'm glad I knew beforehand that the tinnitus probably wouldn't change to the better.

Best regards, Kenneth

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 11:50:32 am »
That is totally weird! I just gazed like you said, and my tinnitus increases in loudness gazing towards my good side, and I hear it in my SSD ear (brain), but stays the same looking at my SSD side. Learn something every day! Even works with my  eye closed.

moe

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:43 pm »
Funny,
I too gazed toward my AN side, but my high squealing tinnitus did not change. Good thing because I can't afford for it to get any screechier! :o

My tinnitus was worse post op, with the SSD.  (translab surgery). Since we lose the hearing for sure with translab, goes to show it might "seem" to be heard louder.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty