Author Topic: Hello and a question about facial paralysis  (Read 3799 times)

amymeri

Hello and a question about facial paralysis
« on: June 21, 2006, 07:34:12 pm »
I should have introduced myself.  I am Amy, a 39 year old mother of two boys (15,11) and married 1 years.  I was diagnosed in March 06 after experiencing right sided chin/jaw numbness.  I never had any measurable hearing loss so it took awhile for anyone to figure out what was going on (the original neurologist thought I was imagining my symptoms!).

I work as a nurse practitioner and have been able to take 4 months off as I recover from a 13 hour neurosurgery in April.  I have complete right sided facial paralysis although my nerve was working normally before and after surgery.  I also have hearing loss and facial numbness on the right but the paralysis is by far the worst part of this.

Does anyone know predictors for recovery of facial function?  My nerve was intact and working fine after surgery (tested before, during and after) and I didn't have paralysis for 2-3 days after surgery.  I am hopeful it will recover but 10 weeks out and very little progress.

Its good to find this site.  Sometimes I feel pretty alone.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

nannettesea

Re: Hello and a question about facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:26:17 pm »
amy,
if you had full facial function post-op, you should get most if not all back (my doc told me that--the nerve just has been traumatized).   I was slightly droopy and had it back after about 10 weeks, so it might take you a little longer.
Don't be discouraged...it takes time.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:36:32 pm »
Hi Amy,

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but did want to say hi, welcome and watch out for the drinks.. someone watered them down! :)

Hang in there... as nan noted, prolly in time.. just give it a bit of time.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

matti

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:26:29 pm »
Hi Amy and welcome!  My facial paralysis set in 2 days after surgery as well. My tumor had wrapped itself around the facial nerve.  I totally understand your frustration, but nerve recovery is a slow process. The dang little bugger is stubborn >:(

I started noticing slight facial function at about the 4th month. It began as a tingling sensation, sometimes accompanied by pain. The first movement I felt was being able to lift the corner of my mouth. I had regained most of my facial function by about the 6th or 7th month. I am 8 years post op and have settled in at about 80% of normal and I am doing great. Remember everyone heals differently, so please don't get discouraged.

I know this AN journey can leave you feeling somewhat isolated and lonely, but Amy please know that we are all here for you. We are a fun bunch, sometimes a little crazy, but we find that humor is very healing.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions

Take care and once again, Welcome!
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:46:13 pm »
Amy,

When it comes to nerves, they can take ridiculous amounts of time to heal. I had my surgery in September; after which the left side of my scalp felt as if were someone else's and the left side of my face was - and still is - numb. Not paralyzed, but numb from the insulting of the trigeminal nerve.
  If your facial nerve was not severed, you'll eventually get the control back. All it takes is for nerves to be stretched, moved  - insulted in medical parlance - to short circuit, albeit temporarily, some corresponding bodily function.
My facial numbness is gradually fading as the doctors said it would. My biggest complaint is that my handwriting has been severly impaired. They say this will eventually return as well. I used to have excellent penmanship and now my writing and printing appears to be the work of someone with Down's Syndrome.

Keep the faith!!      Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 06:36:24 am »
Thanks everyone, the encouragement really helps.  I woke up this morning and thought my upper lip looked straight for the first time--which made my lower lip gape a little- :-\but seemed like progress.  I had double vision, numbness and paralysis but the first 2 are progressing so I should have faith that the 7th nerve will come back, too.  Its the hardest part to deal with I think, although the double vision was no picnic!

I am glad I found this site.  Its amazing how helpful it can be to see I am not alone.

Amy
Amy

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 07:42:05 am »
Hi Amy,
  Nope you're not alone you got us wenches to help you through!  I agree with the others.  I was told if I didn't have facial paralysis immediately upon waking up then my facial function would return.  My problem is I have movement and tone I just don't feel my face/tongue.  I was told yesterday give it some more time which of course is not what one wants to hear!  I do know that from beginning of surgery back in august until now 10 mos out I have made great progress just not what I expected.

hang in there and know where here!
Michelle

amymeri

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 09:42:47 am »
Hi Michelle

My tumor was pressing on my trigeminal nerve (facial sensation) and so my only symptom was facial numbness.  Pretty quickly post op I got back sensation in my eyebrow, forhead, upper lid, jaw and lower cheek and most of my nose.  My right nostril, lips, chin and cheekbone area nose to temple are still totally numb and so is my tongue.

I found the pulling sensation...like saran wrap tightly on my face, was really hard to deal with.  I have lots of tingles, stabs, snapping rubber bands and the most maddening itching on the numb areas...but can't feel touch or sense temperature.

Still, if I could smile and blink I could be a lot happier!!!
Amy

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 12:15:12 pm »
Amy,

I can relate to much of what you're saying. The left side of my lower lip was like a dead piece of flesh after surgery. Since last September, the feeling has returned and it feels normal. The numbness I felt after surgery on the left side of my face was so severe I thought the facial nerve had been damaged. My ENT informed me that it was not the facial nerve that had been effected but the trigeminal nerve. To this day I still have residual numbness and always chew on the right side. It feels like novocaine that never wears off. It's getting better though.
  Then there's the double vision. I began having that in January 2002 and lived with  it until my equilibrium deteriorated in Feb 2005.
After surgery, the double vision was totally full blown. So much so that I had to wear an eye patch every day for two months. It eventually righted itself.
   You'll find that these problems will eventually go away after a long period of time. So long, that one day you'll stop and realize that you have something back - control or feeling -  that had been messed up for so long you had adjusted to the new way and had forgotten what it was like to be normal. I'm now jogging four miles a day and working as a musician even though I'm deaf as a post in my left ear.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.