Author Topic: Balance: Use it or Lose It!  (Read 4536 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Balance: Use it or Lose It!
« on: June 20, 2006, 07:28:35 am »
OK after two weeks off from the gym and walking  thanks to a  to bad reaction to a new med, I went back a few days ago. Boy, had I lost a lot of balance function!  Couln't do my "no-hands-uphill" on the treadmill at all.  It was amazing at how much balance function I had lost because I hadn't been able to move around and use it for 2 weeks.

Balance "retraining" is exactly what it means, retraining other systems like vision and the sensors in the bottoms of the feet, as a substitute for that lost nerve. Exactly like an athlete who doesn't work out for a while and then tries to play in the big game.  Just don't work that way.  Your balance will recover somewhat to a point on it's own, but if you want more of it back, you gotta force it back with a whole lotta gettin' up and movin'

So, time to get offa the couch and out the door, for this Wench!! Would love to hear more balance recovery stories on this thread!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Balance: Use it or Lose It!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:54:38 am »
oh, you are sooooooo right our fearless Pirate Wench!

Lost all balance last night, standing still in my kitchen. Really freaked me out as it was the first time this happened. Literally felt like the floor was letting go from underneath me (almost like a minor earthquake). So, I know this dang thing in my head is playing games with me again.  Using cane more and more but trying to walk the poochie and stuff on my own. Just taking it slow, step by step. 

Great advise hon. although I don't have a lost balance nerve, I can tell it's certainly outta whack since my head got zapped and whacked. Will monitor to see how much more I react like a weebil. :)

oxo
PearlyGirly
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:17:47 am »
Great Comment Deb!

I was at my new granddaughters baptism last Sunday and the Priest didn't have an assistant to help him so I volunteered (its just the way I am :D)  Anyway, I almost went on my face once while lighting the candles to be handed out to the Parents (there were 6 babies being christened besides my gdaughter, anyway I looked up at the alter candle and made a move at the same time and almost fell with 5 lighted candles in my hand.  Fortunately, the Priest had his back to me and only the parents and godparents saw what almost happened.  It would have been great if I'd set the altar on fire :P  Sooooo, although I walk everyday and ride my bike all the time, I'm apparently still pretty shakey, so I got a bit of a wakeup call. 

My twin eightyear old grandsons thought it would have been great to set the church on fire...but then, thats the way they are!
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 01:32:35 pm »
Good advice, Deb.  Balance recovery has been the one bright spot in my recovery.  I really wanted to get around by myself.  I started out very shakey in the hospital.  When I left I took a cane with me.  Took that to my first therapy session then ditched it.  My husband and kids would take me out for a walk in the evenings.  In the beginning I felt good to be able to walk a few hundred yards.  Now I'm back up to 3 miles a day.  I found being back at work in my classroom gave me lots of practice with balance.  Weaving in and around desks and students made me really work at developing more balance.  Now I only notice a balance problem if I turn sharply.  Can't really think of anything I can't do anymore except maybe roller blading.  But then I never was too good at that.   ;D

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 11:36:12 am »
  I agree with the Use it or Lose it idea.  But I sometimes wonder if you can over do it, and overwelme the vestibular system.  I sometimes feel more "wonky headed" the day after lots of activity.  Anyone else have that happen?
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 01:03:59 pm »
I get like that too Rob. For me the balance was getting much better until recently. Now it seems to come and go with no warning and for what seems like no reason. I think mine could be the re-growth.
I am thinking that before my first surgery I really didnt experience much loss of balance and I also had no hearing loss. Some say that when that happens it takes a little longer to get adapted because the loss is so sudden.
My doctors told me anything that is really hard to do is the very thing I need to force myself to practice...so I just kind of go with that. So far.....walking after dark or in low light is the worst.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 02:43:41 pm »
I like to ride the train to work standing .. I get LOTS of pratice that way!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

luv2teachsped

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 05:58:17 pm »
Thanks Capt.Deb:  That would explain my lack of balance lately.  I have been having problems with my back and legs again and am having a fusion done next Weds.  I've noticed my balance is off lately.  Because of the pain I haven't been walking as much as I had been.  I hope this doesn't mean worse balance after my surgery???  AGH....People will think I'm a drunk with a bad back!!!luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:24:30 pm »
I get like that too Rob. For me the balance was getting much better until recently. Now it seems to come and go with no warning and for what seems like no reason. I think mine could be the re-growth.
I am thinking that before my first surgery I really didnt experience much loss of balance and I also had no hearing loss. Some say that when that happens it takes a little longer to get adapted because the loss is so sudden.
My doctors told me anything that is really hard to do is the very thing I need to force myself to practice...so I just kind of go with that. So far.....walking after dark or in low light is the worst.

Windwench--did they "sacrifice" your balance nerve during surgery?  Once it's gone, it's gone and a regrowth where there is no balance nerve wouldn't make you more unbalanced, I would think.
Capt Deb

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:09 pm »
Nope Capt Deb..my balance nerve was stretched but intact. My balance was getting much better until about 6 weeks ago. Actually my daughter was the first to notice I was more wobbely than usual. I seem to have good days and bad days now regardless of what I do. I suppose I just need to figure out some sort of "cute" factor while being wobbely... :D
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 09:17:51 am »
HMMMMM. The docs who sliced and diced me told me it was better to have no balance nerve at all than one which gave your brain erroneous information.  I hadn't had any noticeable balance problems pre-surg, but they scooped it out anyway.
Capt Deb

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 09:21:36 am »
  I agree with the Use it or Lose it idea.  But I sometimes wonder if you can over do it, and overwelme the vestibular system.  I sometimes feel more "wonky headed" the day after lots of activity.  Anyone else have that happen?
Regards,
 Rob

Oh yeah, definitely more wonky-headed after an active day, just like that athlete is sore after the big game. For me, my balance function is very cumulative.  I posted some of my favorite balance recovery excercises in another thread some where, I'll look for it and post it.  Getting harder and harder to type with my "wonky-arm!" :P

Capt Deb 8)

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 09:47:30 am »
If you are looking to challenge (improve)your balance and have access to a treadmill,--here are a few things I do that really work.  I find if I lay off 'em for a few days or weeks, like lately, my balance starts to go down-hill again.

1.  Turn the treadmill to real slow, pick 2 small spots at about 45 degrees off to port and starboard and 30-50 feet away and walk while turning your head and trying to focus on each spot 10 times for a few seconds each, hang on if you have to. Then turn up treadmill to regular, moderate fast speed and walk for a minute with no hands. You are allowed to catch yourself when you go lurchin' offa the thing! I invented this one myself--people have a tendency to wonder what'n the hell yer doin', but we really don't give a crap about that DO WE!!! You can track your progress by the length of time you can go no-hands.

2.  Crank the treadmill up to moderate speed and incline it to about 5--this one really works!
Concentrate on no-hands as much as possible.  The secret to no hands is to find a spot about 15-20 feet away, and focus on it and not move your eyes. I was using a treadmill that was really close to a wall and did better on the ones farther away.  Also, don't even try to watch the stupid TVs they have in some treadmill areas, even with closed caption.  All your concentration needs to be focused on the sensors in the balls of your feet and stabilizing your vision by focusing on a spot.

Again, you'll be suprised at how the no-hands improves from week to week!

Capt Deb

Static

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 06:55:55 pm »
I have to agree with Wind.  I  have reached a certain point and haven't been able to pass it.  As for darkness, we lost power a few nights ago and I was on the floor without a flashlight.  Not a good feeling  >:(
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right