Author Topic: Physicians in the Alabama area  (Read 3083 times)

alabamajane

Physicians in the Alabama area
« on: March 04, 2011, 08:55:28 am »
Hi,
I am a newbie to the forum.. I have been reading it but have not posted anything yet.. not too good on the computer! I was diagnosed in 2008 with AN and so far have been in Wait and Watch mode. I have had about 5 MRI's over these couple of years. Not much change in size,, about 2.5 cm..  I wonder if anyone has found good Doctors here in AL ? I have heard about HEI and have sent MRI cd out there for consult . I heard back from Dr. Slattery and he was very helpful and informative. I understand that Univ. of Al , Birmingham does this type surgery. This is such a rare condition and it is so scary to deal with... it is overwhelming to navigate through... I appreciate any info. on Dr. and medical centers. I understand Ear institute of Chicago is good too.. this may be a different forum,, but was wondering if anyone has experienced eye problems too with this or seizures? thanks for your help with this.. I know all of you have been through it too and that is comforting,, but it is still overwhelming...and very scary....
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

lori67

Re: Physicians in the Alabama area
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »
Hi Jane!

What part of AL?  If you're in the northern part, you might want to check out Vanderbilt in Nashville.  Not exactly around the corner, but it is closer than Chicago and California!  And who said I wasn't good at geography?   ;D

I didn't have any eye issues prior to my surgery.  I do have a facial nerve with a mind of it's own that has caused some eye problems.  And I definitely have not had any seizures.

It's normal to be overwhelmed and scared.  We all were, but we'll all stick together and help you get through this!

Lori
p.s.  My daughter lives in AL too - small town called Hartselle.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

alabamajane

Re: Physicians in the Alabama area
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:33:34 pm »
Hi Lori,
I am actually as far South as you can go without getting into the Gulf....close to Mobile.. one of my ENT Dr. did recommend Vanderbilt actually. So I may contact a Dr there also and check... it is just hard to know who to consult. HEI will let you send cd and will consult over phone so I have done that .. all  the advice is definitely helpful.. I know we are all in the same boat basically. thanks for responding! I was told by Dr at HEI that he would recommend translab as mine is too close to brain stem also,, and the Dr. here that I am seeing suggested middle fossa,, but I am not confident in him anyway....so maybe some of my symptoms are because it is pressing on brain stem more as the time goes on. I personally think that is a reason I am having seizures too.. thanks again..
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26