Author Topic: HEI  (Read 6743 times)

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
HEI
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:09:36 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know my experience with Dr. Friedman at (HEI) from information I have read from this informative forum.  I am dealing with residual from surgery and decided to send my reports to HEI because of the numerous feedback with these surgeons and hospital and am grateful that I did. I mailed my reports only a week ago and I received a personal call from Dr. Friedman today.

I just wanted to let any pre-ops know to definitely send your reports if you are in doubt on choosing a surgeon HEI appears to be used more than other areas or if another opinion is needed these are truly remarkable and caring surgeons to take the time in their busy schedules to personally talk to you.

Pat
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:18:19 pm by pjb »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

tichinose

Re: HEI
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:50:43 am »
I just did....because I conflicting advice.  dr. Friedman agreed to do surgery soon...

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:05:01 pm »
Yes, HEI has been used MANY times over the years...it was because of this discussion forum that I myself used them (Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz).  They really do know their business there.  But, as a disclaimer, there are MANY good doctors all over the country as well, so if you all are still in the research phase of this nice little thing, treat their opinions not as written in stone but as another opinion.  In the end, whatever decision you do decide to make, and if it feels good for you, it is the RIGHT decision...regardless if it is from HEI or not.  Good luck to you all and let us know how it goes! If you have anymore questions about HEI please don't hesitate to ask it either out here for everyone, or PM me, as I have a rather lengthy blog of sorts that I can share with you about my experience with HEI and how they do everything there.  Again, good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:03:53 am »
Yes, HEI has been used MANY times over the years...it was because of this discussion forum that I myself used them (Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz).  They really do know their business there.  But, as a disclaimer, there are MANY good doctors all over the country as well, so if you all are still in the research phase of this nice little thing, treat their opinions not as written in stone but as another opinion.  In the end, whatever decision you do decide to make, and if it feels good for you, it is the RIGHT decision...regardless if it is from HEI or not.  Good luck to you all and let us know how it goes! If you have anymore questions about HEI please don't hesitate to ask it either out here for everyone, or PM me, as I have a rather lengthy blog of sorts that I can share with you about my experience with HEI and how they do everything there.  Again, good luck!
Jay
Sorry Jay haven't been on this much have more distressing news now with my daughter who has taken such good care of me now it is my turn to try and help her... I am sorry I haven't responded to your advice I will take you up on contacting you if I have any more questions .. I will be going for another MRI in April to see if the 3mm regrowth has remained the same or not and once I receive the results I guess it will be decision time.. Wishing you and your family a Happy Healthy New Year and sorry for the late respone and I really appreciate you responding to me.

Bes Wishes,

Pat

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:05:42 am »
I just did....because I conflicting advice.  dr. Friedman agreed to do surgery soon...

Sorry for the late response how are you doing ??

Best Wishes,

Pat

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »
There are definitely many great "AN doctors" out there - both at House and not at House.

From what I've heard, Dr. Friedman is definitely one of the great ones.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:14:41 am »
There are definitely many great "AN doctors" out there - both at House and not at House.

From what I've heard, Dr. Friedman is definitely one of the great ones.

Jan

Thanks Jan sorry not on here or responding as much just saw this .. I prefer to go closer to home but listening to everyone's outcome at HEI, I who does not like to fly was considering it !! But I saw a couple of surgeons in NYC that other members had a good outcome and they also have a good reputation and by April I will know if it has grown and hoping I will have enough information to decide what I should do.. Again thank you for your response and sorry for the delay.

Best Wishes,

Pat

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 11:00:02 am »
Pat -

As I said, there are many great AN docs out there.  I found one right in my own backyard - and as you say, there are many great ones in NYC; which I know for a fact is true.

The important thing is that you choose a doctor that you are comfortable with, who has lots of experience in treating ANs. 

So whether you choose to go to HEI or to another qualified doc (in NYC or elsewhere) is totally up to you. 

Treatment decisions are probably one of the hardest parts of the AN Journey.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:45:50 pm »
Pat -

As I said, there are many great AN docs out there.  I found one right in my own backyard - and as you say, there are many great ones in NYC; which I know for a fact is true.

The important thing is that you choose a doctor that you are comfortable with, who has lots of experience in treating ANs. 

So whether you choose to go to HEI or to another qualified doc (in NYC or elsewhere) is totally up to you. 

Treatment decisions are probably one of the hardest parts of the AN Journey.

Good luck,

Jan

Jan thank you your right the decision is the hardest part especially the second time around...

Wishing you and your children a Happy Healthy New Year...

Best Wishes,

Pat

jugee

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »
HI Jay, I noticed your experience at HEI.  Your tumor was on the small scale in the tumor world, as I understant it.  Why did you choose to go ahead and have the surgery>why not w and w?
Jugee

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 10:23:05 pm »
HI Jay, I noticed your experience at HEI.  Your tumor was on the small scale in the tumor world, as I understant it.  Why did you choose to go ahead and have the surgery>why not w and w?
Jugee

Hi Jugee....I guess I wanted to just get the thing out of my head now, while I am still young and in good health, rather than having to worry about it all the time.  I also wanted to do it while it WAS small, as I believed that the bigger these things get, the more things could happen. Mind you, these are my beliefs and how I felt about things. So I guess it all comes down to each person's comfort levels.  I hope this makes sense Jugee, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston