Author Topic: Neck Pain After Surgery??  (Read 27244 times)

Asa52

Neck Pain After Surgery??
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »
Hello to all!

I had a small AN removed 5 months ago and, thanks to two really great surgeons in Austin, have been doing well (little hearing loss, no vertigo, and no paralysis).  My only problem is a recent development:  intense pain in the back of my head, at the top of the neck.

Before going back to the surgeons, I just wanted to ask if any of you have had this?

Thanks!

ombrerose4

Re: Neck Pain After Surgery??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:55:23 pm »
Hi- I am 17 months post op. I suffer from post op headaches that originate at the back of my head and the top of my neck. Does your neck pain turn into a headache at all or does it stay just in that spot?
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Asa52

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:11:43 am »
No, not really a headache.  It feels more like an intense burning sensation on the back of my head...right at the top of the neck column. 

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12:49 am »
Do you have balance issues?  I have had neck problems.  They seemed to stem from straining to maintain balance.  A chiropractor helped.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Asa52

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:11:37 pm »
Fortunately, no.  No balance issues to speak of.  I get slightly dizzy if I move backwards too quickly or if I bend over and then straighten up & walking too fast.  But really, the only issue I've had problems with so far is the pain in back of my head.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »
Which type of surgery did you have?
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33:40 pm »
Hi Asa52 and welcome to the forum .....

Not sure this is any help, but after my first retrosigmoid (suboccipital) surgery 16 years ago (which was not for an AN but for microvascular decompression surgery at the brainstem), for many years I could not lie down on the back of my head because of the burning pain you are describing.  For whatever reason, it gradually went away and did not recur following my AN surgery on the opposite side.

Since this is a recent development for you, I would certainly mention it to my doctor if I were you.  It may be a nerve inflammation or other condition that needs to be looked at and/or treated.

Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nichol

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »
Hello to all!

I had a small AN removed 5 months ago and, thanks to two really great surgeons in Austin, have been doing well (little hearing loss, no vertigo, and no paralysis).  My only problem is a recent development:  intense pain in the back of my head, at the top of the neck.

Before going back to the surgeons, I just wanted to ask if any of you have had this?

Thanks!

hi my name is nichol .and you are not alone....my surgery was a year and a half ago and im having much pain in head and neck as well as hearing loss and facial spasms.......
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:05:18 am by Joef »

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 07:01:31 am »
I asked which type of surgery because it seemed as though this is most common I have read on people who have had retrosigmoid surgery.

BUT, I had some very minor achy neck aches previous to my middle fossa surgery and after my surgery it tended to get worse in the neck and radiates into the base of skull area too.    It actually has nothing to do with the area my surgery was on, actually opposite side.   

Couple thoughts:

Can the pains we have be associated from being gripped down in a vise type device for many hours (mine was 7), possibly putting pressure or damage on muscles or nerves in the base of skull & neck region?? (read that type of thought elsewhere here)

I do have the SSD (single sided deafness).   Wonder if pain can be related from straining from turning my head and neck a LOT to hear too????

Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Asa52

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »
My surgeons (by the way, both were fantastic!) used the retrosigmoid (subocciipital) approach. 

The earliest I could get an appointment with the lead surgeon was a month away...can't wait that long.  So I went ahead and scheduled one with my regular doctor.  Hopefully, I can explain to him what's going on and he can maybe prescribe/do something.  We'll see.  In the mean time, the neck has gone away as suddenly as it appeared.  Go figure.  But I'm still keeping both of those appointments for now, just in case.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 07:59:49 pm »
Very smart to keep the appointments, just in case  ;) 

Glad the pain is better!

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:32:43 am »
Hi Asa52  :)

I am sorry that you are dealing with this neck pain! Glad to hear it's lightened.  You might find that it comes and goes as it does for me.  My favorite remedy is "tiger balm" and a heating pad.  Have someone massage the base of your skull where your neck meets it.  It really helps!  I agree that it's so important to keep all your Dr. appointments so they can follow you in your healing process.  I know sometimes I don't feel like going but it's important as things will come up.

I am 7 months post op now following a middle fossa approach.  One thing I have learned is to be patient with myself in my recovery as at times it feels like it's "snail pace".  I have had head and neck pain and have also attributed it to the vice grib they had my head in for the surgery.  I did have 2 herniated discs in my neck going into surgery so I was really nervous they would hurt it worse.  There's really no way around the position your head and neck are in during surgery so it does affect surrounding muscles, nerves and tissues.  I am in a position where I needed neck surgery prior to my AN surgery but I'm just trying to avoid it like the plague! ha!  Hang in there and I offer you my support in your recovery!!!  5 months post op is something to be proud of!  ;)

Wendy
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

Asa52

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 07:03:03 pm »
Still here.  I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words and the info. 
I go to the neuro next Wednesday and will post what he says afterwards.

Asa52

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:33 pm »
Well, it took me longer to post than I had anticipated; my apologies.  The neuro is convinced that my occipital nerve is being irritated somehow.  He believes one of three things is happening:  there is still some swelling that is pressing on the nerve, there is scar tissue growing aroung the nerve, or the nerve was damaged during surgery. 

I'm on gabapentin (sp?) for a few weeks to see if it can relieve some of the pain (it hasn't) and after that, we'll discuss other options.  Basically, the options are either live with the pain or surgery.  If there's scar tissue they can remove it or possibly reposition the nerve.  If it's a damaged nerve, they can sever it (yikes!).  That means that the entire back of my head will be numb forever.  And, even if they do that procedure, the end of the nerve that is left can also become irritated and I'll be right back where I started.

So, for now, it's a waiting game.  I just wanted to post what my neuro had said in case it would help any of you with similar problems.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:44:29 pm »
Asa52:

A heating pad does wonders for my neck pain.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.