Author Topic: 6 Months post-op and glad to be here to tell about it!  (Read 3950 times)

Grateful_1

6 Months post-op and glad to be here to tell about it!
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »
I've been following these posts for quite some time now and have been looking forward to the time when I could chime in and perhaps contribute.  This certainly has been a great help to me and my ordeal. At this time I am 6 months post op.  I can say now that I'm definitely on the road to recovery but it has not been easy.  After reading about some of the other ANers, I guess one could say, I’ve had a rough time. 

My story is that I discovered I had an AN in 2007, watched and waited for 6 months, found that it was growing and had Cyberknife radiation treatment in 2008.  Things were fine for one year.  The next year the doctor found that it had grown.  I was scheduled for and had translab surgical removal on Dec 28, 2010.  Everything appeared to go great and three days later I was home from the hospital.  Unfortunately, I developed a CSF leak along with the heavy-head and headaches that come with that.  On Jan 13 I went to see my doctor to have my stitches removed, and she suggested that they do a lumbar drain to remove some of the fluid and relieve the headaches and prepare for CSF leak surgery. The lumbar drain procedure was painful for me. Unfortunately it required me to be on my back (for the most part) for 5 days and I ended up with a massive pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs).  I stayed in the hospital 12 days for that.  I came home and had to be on blood thinners.  The worst part of this was the “Lovenox” injections that I had to give myself in the stomach until I was therapeutic and could progress to Coumadin. I was told I would probably be off of the Lovenox injections in about 5 days - it took 20 long days. In addition to that, I somehow developed severe lower-back/upper-thigh/sciatic nerve-type pains.  I was miserable. 

After I was cleared by the heart and pulmonary doctors, I was again scheduled to have surgery to fix the CSF leak.  This was to happen on March 15. Of course I wasn't looking forward to this but I had to get it over with.  Well, 5 days before this scheduled surgery, I contracted meningitis.  Thank God for my nervous family members because never in my wildest dreams did I think I this would happen to me; I was about to ignore the symptoms.  They rushed me to emergency at a local hospital, which pumped me full of steroids and antibiotics and shipped me to my ENT and neurosurgeon doctors. I then had a lumbar puncture which was another nightmare for me.  This time I stayed in the hospital for 7 days.  I came home with a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC line) in my arm to continue the antibiotics for another two weeks. 

Meanwhile I still had this CSF leak and my next scheduled appointment for that surgery was April 12.  However, on March 26 I got severe pains in my chest and I was terrified.  Normally I'm not one who rushes to the ER but with all that had gone wrong I didn't want to take any chances.  The ER doctor advised me it might be gall bladder problems.  Even with all of the pain I was in, this seemed trivial compared to everything else and would have to be put on the back burner.  I finally had my CSF leak surgery on April 12 and all appeared to go well…for about two weeks…when the leak started again.  On May 26 I went in for outpatient surgery to have that repaired.  So far, there have been no more problems with that.  On June 2 I had the gall bladder removal surgery and am recovering well from that. 

So, here I am.  I can’t believe I’m still here to tell my story.  I also ended up with the typical AN problems such as facial paralysis, eye issues, fatigue, and balance issues.  But, I feel great considering what I went through.  I kept reading the posts here where everyone said things would get better.  That kept me going even though it was hard for me to believe at the time.  Thank you all for being there for me even though you didn’t know you were.  I’m now hoping to be able to do the same for someone else.

St. Louis University Hosp., St. Louis, MO
Drs. A. Mikulec and D. Sasaki-Adams
12/28/10 - Translab surg for 2.5cm AN on right
1/13/11- lumbar drain, pulmonary embolism
3/11/11 - menengitis
4/12/11 & 5/26/11 - CSF leak repairs
SSD, facial paralysis, balance issues, fatigue

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 Months post-op and glad to be here to tell about it!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:02:05 pm »
Grateful ~

Welcome - and thank you so much for that stunning and informative 'debut' post!  You've certainly had your share of medical problems but seem to, finally, be on the road to recovery.  I trust that the AN-related symptoms will eventually abate.  I commend you for sharing your story, with all of it's twists and turns, and I'm delighted to learn that the ANA discussion forums have been a real help to you through all of your medical travails.  Your post demonstrates that even with numerous complications, one can surmount them and retain a positive frame of mind, which, in itself, is a huge asset in the recovery process.  I wish you continued healing and hope you'll be a frequent visitor to the ANA discussion forums.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:43:28 pm »
Thank you for your post, you give me a great sense of gratitude, just when I'm about to start complaining about my silly issues I see what people like you have gone through and manage to have a great attitude. 
Is people like you who give us the courage to go through what seems like "Bad Stuff" 
Life is good!  :)

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:57:52 am »
Hi,

Wow, you have certainly been through alot and I applaud you for coming through it all with a positive attitude. Now give yourself time to rest, relax and heal. Having a good attitude is so important when you are experiencing so many health issues. Please remember we are always here for you and feel better:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:53:37 am »
Grateful~
Thank you for sharing your story with us!  I know that AN surgery/recovery can come with many challenges to say the least!  I'm so sorry that you have had to go thru all of this - let's hope that this is the end of it and you are on your way to HEALING of all your issues!!  I, did not have a CFS leak, but I did have a stroke and many other issues and I am here to tell you that IT DOES GET BETTER!!!!!  Listen to your body and don't try to do too much...faith, humor and a positive attitude (IMO) play a HUGE role in your recovery - try to have them all - sounds like you do.  Where are you located?  I would be happy to chat with you on the phone if you would like - just PM me your info and I will give you a call!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Grateful_1

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:33:22 pm »
I started back to work last week and survived the week but, as expected, have been very tired.  I just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome.
St. Louis University Hosp., St. Louis, MO
Drs. A. Mikulec and D. Sasaki-Adams
12/28/10 - Translab surg for 2.5cm AN on right
1/13/11- lumbar drain, pulmonary embolism
3/11/11 - menengitis
4/12/11 & 5/26/11 - CSF leak repairs
SSD, facial paralysis, balance issues, fatigue