Author Topic: Post surgery headaches  (Read 26431 times)

Puppylove

Post surgery headaches
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:23:02 pm »
Hi,

I'm now 10 days post op (retrosig), and I have a question about headaches.  I just started having some more actual headaches over the past few days. The spot where I have the staples also is extremely tender, which has always been very tender, but now I have the headaches to go with.  I'm trying to take tylenol instead of the pain medication, but I don't know if I can continue to do that.

My question is, does the tapering off of the steroids have any effect on my headaches? I started tapering off the dosage a few days ago, today is actually the last day to take one. I'm not sure if this is all coincidental or if tapering off the steroids is somehow causing my headaches.  Also, once the staples are removed (my post op visit is Monday), will that alleviate any of the pain?  Will it relieve it immediately or after a few hours, days, etc?

I'm not one for having headaches, and I can understand why I have them (since they did just cut my head open ;), but I'm just trying to figure how much longer before I "might" start feeling better.

For the "right after surgery headaches" does anyone have any good positions to lay/sleep in?  That seems to be one of my hardest things is finding a comfortable position to lay down in, which is the only thing I want to do when I have a headache.

Sorry for the rambling, it's hard for me to think right now.

Last question, should I put in a call to the doctor to ask about the headaches and steroid question?

Thanks for any help!
Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

jennifer7

Re: Post surgery headaches
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »
Hi Debbie
After surgery the NP at the neurosurgeons said to raise the top of my bed by putting something under the mattress.  I don't know why and I don't know if it helped.  I just remember my family fixing the bed for me and sleeping that way for a couple weeks.  Just a suggestions of something that may help.
Hope you feel comfortable soon
Jennifer
retrosig 2/10/10 1.2cm
headaches, facial weakness, tinnitus
hearing preserved :)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:07:16 pm »
Puppylove,
What you are going thru is perfectly normal for being 10 days out.  Ice to the back of the head for inflamation and moist heat to the shoulders to relax the muscles helps a lot.  And take the durn pain meds!  Additional pain stresses the body and inhibits healing.  Just make sure you take them, especially anything with an NSAID in it, with food to protect your stomach.  Send someone out to get you a really good pillow, preferably a solid foam one. Mine was about $75 and worth every penny.  I also invested in a Thermaphore moist heating pad. At 10 days out it is justb really hard getting comfortable--just no getting around that one--sometimes a soft support collar/neck brace thingy can help.  Also NEVER hesitate to call your doc for anything--that's what they are for. 

Wishing you a good recovery,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »
I remeber having the same problem. Couldn't find any position that was comfortable. I starting buying different types of pillows, and even though I always slept better with a firm pillow before surgery, I found that softer, down pillows were better for me post op.  I was able to mold them around my head and neck for support yet they were soft enough not to put pressure on the back of my head. It takes a bit of experimenting, but you will find something that works for you.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

JHager

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:52:31 pm »
Hi!

It has literally been years since I last posted - I'm now 5+ years post-surgery - but the headaches are still my number one issue.  (The fact that only my left eye cries at sad movies is a bit further down the list.)

Anyway, half a decade later, I'm happy to report that, in my case, these things mostly faded into the background.  There are still odd considerations at times, though.  For example, I have to be very choosy about glasses - if the part that rests on my ear is in contact with my scar, it's a no-go.  I know that it'll start to irritate it by the end of the day.  (Oddly, only the area on and above my scar is sensitive - everything below is numb, so that's where I want my glasses to rest.)

My headaches peaked probably about 6 months post-op.  I went back to my doc two years ago when I had a couple of REALLY bad flare-ups, but after x-rays, he determined it was more the influence of some damaged vertebra interacting with my head than the operation site itself.

I guess I could summarize like this: my 'everyday' headaches slowly passed as I healed from the surgery.  I still have occasional (1-2 per month) bad headaches, but I have a prescription that works for me at those times.  (At least, I can get to sleep, which is what I'm looking for at those moments!).

All told, I can't really complain much for a guy with a hole in his head.  And I hope you have a similar recovery!

Good luck
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 06:32:37 pm »
Debbie:

Lying down when I have a headache is impossible for me. I sit on my recliner & recline it a bit so that my head gets some support. I plug in my heating pad, place it under my neck & wait for the pain to subside.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

tweety

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:35:36 pm »
Debbie,  I am almost 8 month post op and I remember trying to get situated to go to sleep.  I found the recliner a much better choice than my bed for a few weeks.  It did feel good once I layed in my bed but I kept myself propped up on 3 pillows so I was in a more upright position. My doctors said that the facial swelling would go away quicker and I felt more comfortable in this position.  I felt like King Tut sitting up in bed but it helped with the swelling and it went down quickly.  I also would take my 2 tylenol before bed to get a more rested sleep.  My AN is on my right side and I didn't lay on that side for a few months.  When we went on vacation last year I was 2 months post op and I must have rolled off my stack of pillows as my husband woke me in a panic and said "you are sleeping on your incision."  I was sound asleep and not bothered by this but he was fearful I would hurt my head.  It was funny to both of us and from that time on, I wasn't bothered laying on my right side.  Like the entire process healing takes time. Be patient with your body and listen to it.  Good luck on your recovery.  Nancy (tweety)