Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed  (Read 8190 times)

suboo73

Re: Newly Diagnosed
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 03:08:31 pm »
Hi Para1,

I am in the Watch & Wait group, so i don't know about recovery from surgery...
But I wanted to say hello and hope you find the answers you are looking for.
Since ANs are benign and slow growing, you have time to do your research.

The folks here are a wealth of information!
Prayers all around as you travel along your AN journey.

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Danna O

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »
I advise to somehow pull your hair back, mine got in a knot. :/ My AN was 3.5cm and im 14 years old. I have no facial paralysis. I dyed my hair like a week before surgery and it should be fine. Recovery time all depends on the person. I recovered very quick. I had surgery October 29th, 2010 and November 4th, 2010. And the doctor said i could run around by December, even though I had recvoered before then you always have to make sure. 

amysga

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 05:47:58 pm »
Hi Para1,

I hope you are handling well the quest for information and knowledge that we on this forum have all taken and continue to take.   The wonderful people on this site are truly a wealth of information and encouragement and empathy.   Would you please bring us up to date on what is going on with you?   If I missed a post, I am sorry!  I am just wondering about you.

Amy

CarolineO

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 12:03:28 pm »
HI, Para,

My 14 year old had the same issue.  We colored her hair before surgery.  (She is naturally blonde but likes
to be brunette.)

She had her tumors removed Oct 29 & Nov 4.  Her surgery was done through the ear so her incision was behind
and around the back of her ear.  We colored her hair again in January- no problems.  (The doctors said it was okay)

I am sorry to hear that you have tumors.  It was a stressful time for us when we found out.  However,
if you find a doctor you trust you will deal well with all the little things.  My daughter was up and walking within
2 days of each surgery.  She did have to remain in the hospital until they removed the lumbar drains (no headaches post-op).

Recovery:  It took about two weeks after surgery for her to feel normal.  She returned to school about 6 weeks
after the surgeries and is doing well. 

She'll have a Baha implant this Friday.  She is happy and is excited to be returning to her "new" normal.

Good luck with your surgeries!

para1

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 07:16:39 am »
Thank you everyone for all of the information and encouragement.  I did find a surgeon that I liked very much.  The tumor is larger than the ENT had originally told me.  The surgeon said it has been there about 10 years.  My surgery is scheduled for March 8th.  I am very nervous and anxious.  I wish I could get it done now.  I was told that I will be in the hospital for 4 to 6 days and then I will be out of work for 8 weeks.  He said that sometimes he sends people back to work at 5 weeks but since I work with young, disabled children he will keep me out for 8 weeks.  He said the hardest part is going to be that it took 10  years for this tumor to move my brain over 2 inches and it is only going to take six hours of surgery to move it back.  He said that my body will have to adjust to this and I may have dizziness, headache, nauseau for awhile.  I was told that I will loose the rest of my hearing in the ear completely.  The doctor said that I will learn to realize what direction sound is coming from.  He did say though, that the first few days will be rough.  He said that the second day I will question why I ever agreed to go ahead with this.  He wanted to be honest and tell me that I will not be feeling good around day 2.

So, that's my update.  Thank you so much to everyone for thier help.  I hope that my recovery goes smoothly and wish everyone going through this as well positive thoughts!!!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »
Para ~

Thanks for the update!  I like the way your doctor described the surgery and recovery process to you.  Although I'm not a doctor, I would concur with his assessment and recovery time-frame.  The surgery is arduous but only for the doctor and those waiting to hear how it went.  You'll be asleep.  The doctor's description of your first few days, post-op, are very accurate.   However, I'm not so sure about learning which direction sound is coming from - I haven't, almost 5 years post-op and close to 10 being SSD. but you may do better.  You do have a good, positive attitude and, although the initial recovery can be a bit rough, time usually finds the AN post-op patient improving so I think you'll do quite well.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:32:53 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 09:48:54 am »
I'm also impressed about how candid and open the doctor was. Some like to paint a rosy picture, with less detail.
He is accurate, and the 8 weeks off is a plus. Sounds like he KNOWS his patients!
The waiting is frustrating. Just stay busy, focused, pamper yourself, and exercise or walk as you can tolerate. That will help in the recovery!
Keep posting :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty