Author Topic: Neurostimulator Implanted!  (Read 13500 times)

staypoz

Neurostimulator Implanted!
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:28 am »
Yesterday I had a permanent neurostimulator implanted to help with my head pain.  It's done as an outpatient procedure at the hospital.  As brp51d posted, it isn't the most pleasant procedure, but I went to work today with no ill effects except some bruising.  A small battery was implanted above my chest and wires from it were placed underneath my skin running up my neck and across to my AN side.  Because of the titanium plate, the battery and wires couldn't be implanted on my AN side directly.  I have used the device intermittently since yesterday and will go back to the doctor's in about 10 days to have the device programmed further so I have more   choices of the frequency, kind, and intensity of the sensations I feel.  It was weird to recharge my implanted battery this morning, but I'll take weird over pain any day.  While this isn't advertised as being able to take all the pain away, it should, if it works as well as it did during the trial, give me some relief.   

Brainwrecks be gone!

staypozl         

cin605

Re: Neurostimulator Implanted!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »
Hope all works well for you....We will try anything we can to get rid of pain...We are relentless! ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:13:43 pm »
Staypoz ~        

Congratulations on receiving your implanted stimulator.  I hope it gives you the relief you've been seeking.  My wife has a similar device (implanted stimulator) for the relief of spinal nerve pain.  She received her's a year ago but has the 'permanent' model (no recharging, it'll be replaced when the battery dies).  She says that it helps....giving her about a 65-70% decrease in nerve pain.  That's worth it to her - as I know a similar decrease in pain would be to you.  Please keep us in the loop on how it works for you.  Thanks.    

Jim
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:09:17 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »
Yes, we are relentless.   I'm so happy for your decision and that everything is going along smoothly.   Incredible that you were at work today.  You are now officially a Bionic Woman!    Waiting for your reports of being pain free or at least close to it.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

staypoz

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:59:57 am »
So far, so good.  This is the longest I have gone headache/head pain free since my surgery six and a half years ago. 

Jim, I was really interested in reading about the kind of device your wife has.  I'm finding the recharging and stuff a little cumbersome still, but I'm sure it will become second nature to me soon.

I'll continue to share what I hope will be progress with everyone.

staypoz

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:39 am »
It will become a routine very soon...like recharging a cellphone.   This is great news about your being headache free after all this time.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

staypoz

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:03:24 pm »
This is an update on the neurostimulator experience.  It's now been about a week since it was implanted.  I am healing well and have had only one challenging day when I had to remind myself that healing isn't linear!  You'd think I would have learned that lesson after the surgery to remove the AN. 

Anyway, I still have not had to take any medications of any kind since the device was implanted.  The last two nights I have actually slept with a pillow, as opposed to a wedge.  When I feel I headache coming on, I just turn the stimulator on.  It isn't able to help with   the pain I sometimes experience in my forehead, and I knew that from the trial, but it is very good at masking the pain that starts at and radiates from the incision site. 

I wish I had had this thing implanted years ago, but maybe I wouldn't have been deemed a good candidate since I hadn't exhausted all the other treatment options that I tried and that work for some other people.

I see the doctor next week and also the tech from the device company to reprogram the stimulator so that I have even more "stims" to choose from. 

staypoz   

Mei Mei

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:28:35 pm »
I'm so happy for you that you are finally on the way to pain free living.   It's incredible that all you have to do is turn up the knob and it works.
You've come a long way to this healing.  It's about time!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

staypoz

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 11:19:44 am »
Mei Mei. 

I hope you find the same relief surgically or otherwise!

staypoz

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 02:12:46 pm »
Thanks, Staypoz.    We're both working on it.   It's a long road to the goal!
Got to stay on the straight and narrow!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:57:15 am »
Staypoz,

I read your recent posts with joy! I love hearing news of success in treating these horrible headaches and head pain.  Next time I fly back to the other coast,  I will give you a call. (I was back there last October.) Take care. I will check in from time to time, to see how you are doing.

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

staypoz

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:27 am »
Hi, Janet.  Please do be in touch if you come this way again and thanks for the support.  It has been a long journey.  Are you in Seattle?  I may be going that way in the spring.

My hope is that eventually I will be able to have this thing explanted.  From everything that I've heard from other headache sufferers,  these headaches do eventually subside, but it might take years.  I know that the frequency has subsided over the years and the intensity has varied, so I am hopeful. 

Take good care of yourself.

staypoz

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:30 pm »
Please let me know when you might be in Seattle in a private email.  Maybe a dinner or lunch, if you have the time?
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

staypoz

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:08:49 am »
Will do!

staypoz

cin605

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:32 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D So glad its working for you!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old