Author Topic: 1 year and holding  (Read 2265 times)

rezski

1 year and holding
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:17:43 pm »
Monday I had my 1st annual MRI and doctor visit since being diagnosed 1 year ago with a 1.2 x .6 cm AN in my right ear.  NO growth! I was hoping to be in the lucky 40% group who have no growth after the initial diagnosis and I got lucky. I know this is no guarantee and that growth could start any time but I look at it as one more year till I have to decide what to do as I am leaning towards radiation. A year ago I had just had the 2nd major abdominal surgery for my Crohn's in a year and 1/2 and I couldn't face any more at that time so that is why I decided to watch and wait.  I have slight hearing loss,  stuffed ears and right side tinnitus.  I am also totally not sick from my Crohn's as well now.  My doctor (Douglas Backous) in Seattle said he has some patients who haven't had any growth in the 8 or more years he has seen them and who haven't been treated except for yearly monitoring.  I read this forum all the time but rarely post as I have spent this last year learning and absorbing AN info in order to make informed decisions.
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

cookiesecond

Re: 1 year and holding
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:32:17 am »
You are in my thoughts and prayers! Thank goodness no growth.
Take care,
Lynn

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:27:49 am »
That's great news all the way around.!!!  I hope that things continue to be good for you.
Welcome and I'm glad you found us here.

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 05:52:15 am »
Hi Rezski and great news so far! Glad the new MRI shows no further growth and keeping fingers crossed that things continue as is.  If and when the time comes... what kind of radiation are you leaning towards? just curious.

Continued wellness!
Phyl

(hang in there with the Crohns!!)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

rezski

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:12:16 am »
I was not sure what kind of radiation, I was going to see Dr. Sandra Vermulen at Swedish as she was reccomended to me by a friend who had gone to her for his AN a few years ago.  Since there is a new Cyberknife in Seattle I was going to see what my options were (depending upon tumor size) and what she reccomended for my particular case.  My Crohn's was rarely flaring but precancerous changes prompted action and in retrospect I was feeling kind of crappy a lot of ther time for many years - now I feel perfect and can see the difference.
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW