Author Topic: Meningioma in right cavernous sinus  (Read 12879 times)

concerned-1

Meningioma in right cavernous sinus
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:15 am »
I am a 67 y/o male. I recently had an MRI of my brain which confirmed a meningioma in the right cavernous sinus region. It measures 1.2 cm x 1.1 cm x .09 cm. There is posterior and superior displacement of the cavernous section of the right internal carotid artery.

Two months ago I had no symptoms except for a very slight ringing in my left ear which I thought might be tinnitus. My ENT doc, in the course of his exam, ordered an MRI. It showed a unknown mass. As a result of that finding, he referred me to a neurosurgeon. After his exam, during which he found me symptom free, he ordered the second, more focused, MRI which confirmed the meningioma.

My neurosurgeon and I had a very intensive and candid discussion about my situation. The options were to wait to see if the mass got larger, over time, or undergo Gamma Knife surgery (GK), now, to "kill" the tumor. I have opted for the GK surgery and have an appointment to see a radiation oncologist in two weeks.

I have read so many articles on the web about my condition and various treatment modalities that I think I'm a bit overwhelmed at this point. Have any of you had a similar experience? Did you use the GK or did you wait? What were the results.

Thank you for reading this post. Thanks even more if you take the time to respond.

annamaria

Re: Meningioma in right cavernous sinus
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:43:15 pm »
You may want to see folks at http://www.meningiomamommas.org

Annamaria

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »
Concerned-1, take a deep breath. You are in a good place to find some information and to talk to people that have faced similar situations. My meningioma was quite a bit larger and very difficult to get at. Despite this, I used this forum to learn what to ask and how to cope with what I was facing. I had a very long surgery followed by two weeks in ICU and then began to recover fairly rapidly. I am currently in wait and watch mode until my surgeons are ready for me to undergo radiation.

Don't let my experience scare you though, 10 months later I am doing quite well and life is good. There are folks here who had large tumors and much shorter surgeries and recoveries. Every tumor, every person, is different, as is each journey.

Others will chime in to welcome you, and many, if not most, will have more experience and knowledge to share with you.

I'm sorry you are here, but I am glad you found us.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:07:57 pm »
Hello Concerned-1

I also was diagnosed with a small Meningioma, left side different location than yours, and was told that I probably would not ever have to deal with it in my lifetime (I was 59 at the time). It is under study along with my Acoustic Neuroma on the Right side, but I have an Aneurysm in the left cavernous sinus on the left carotid artery. I have been Watch and Wait for 4 years so far with no change to any of the 3. My best advice to you would be to research all that you can, see the best of the best physicians and since you are symptom free, take your time and weigh all of your options, then do what "feels right" for you! Don't allow fear to dictate your decision. I am glad that I didn't jump into anything since nothing was life-threatening, because as time went by more things were discovered. So again listen to the experts, and then make your own decision!
Good-luck and let us know what you decide!
Blessings to you,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

concerned-1

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:14:38 pm »
Thank you all for your responses. I am fortunate to have a extremely competent, empathic and patient neurosurgeon. I am also fortunate to be in a city where my hospital is noted for it's expertise in dealing with conditions like mine, including the utilization of the gamma knife.

From the information that I've reviewed, it appears prudent to take prophylactic action at this time, especially because of the location of the tumor, as opposed to waiting to see if the tumor grows and then having to deal with surgery instead of the gamma knife. Notwithstanding that, I will continue to gather data and would appreciate any further information you might have to assist me in making an informed decision.

Mark241

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:30:50 am »
Hello, I also have the same type of meningioma, along with a few others' that I'm in w&w with. I dont' know if your ENT also has a specialty in neurotology, if he dosent' you may want to seek one out that does. I havnt' displayed any symptoms that I can share yet. Best of luck.     
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w