Author Topic: Abutment Question  (Read 3974 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Abutment Question
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:29:30 am »
It has been on month since my BAHA surgery. Today when I was cleaning around the post I found a scab followed by some slight bleeding. I cean the post everyday and today was the first time i found that. Has anyone here had the same issue?
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Abutment Question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »
Hi Keith,
I had that in the beginning.  I think it is very normal and I wouldn't worry. I would put a little neosporin or Bacetracin around that area for a few days.  It should heal.  Perhaps you are scrubbing the area too hard.  I had some scabbing right up agains the abutment and just had to wait til it fell off.  The doctor actually cleaned it out at one of my post op visits.  Just keep using something on it.  If it persists after a few more weeks and it is bleeding, or it won't heal, then I would see your doc.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

another NY postie

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:42 am »
I also had what my dr. termed "crusting" around the baha post...it did seem scabby to me - and also had some dried blood in that area for a couple of weeks after that I would pull out...He cleaned that area (ie picked stuff around it) the week after surgery and the following week when he took out the stiches.  I don't recall bleeding but I would agree that it is entirely normal.  My doc also had me dab peroxide around it twice a week so you also could do that if you are worried about infection.  Remember they did drill into your skull so a certain amount of scabbing, crusting is normal :D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:31:10 am »
Hi, just an FYI (speaking as a nurse now). Peroxide is very drying, and I don't think that is the best thing to use around your abutment.  I would stick to Bactroban (prescription) if there is a chance of infection.  Neosporin is also fine, but some people have a reaction to that.  Bacitracin is also good and you can get that over the counter.  It will keep it moist and also loosen the scabs and hopefully prevent more.  Make sure you clean around the abutment.  The first week may be too soon to use a small brush around it, but ask the doctor when it is safe for you to do that.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:30:23 pm »
I would use Saline water instead of Peroxide for daily cleaning.   Peroxide can burn and make the skin raw.  Saline water is more safer and easier on the skin. ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Goldie

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:54:37 pm »
I've had a similar experience..."clean" for quite a while and then a little bloody crusting.  I've wondered why, but no sign of infection so I just attribute it to the healing process.  I apply Vaseline twice a day with a Q-tip around the abutment and that's working nicely.  My surgeon's nurse said no brushing for 6-8 weeks, so I've just starting doing that with no problem.

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 12:25:37 pm »
Keith -

this is very common while healing.

Don't use peroxide - as Dale said, it's very drying.  Stick to bacitracin or polysporin and if you are using a washcloth or soft toothbrush to clean your abutment lay off until the area is healed.  Often people who use toothbrushes or washcloths don't realize how hard they are "scrubbing" due to numbness on the skull.

This too shall pass.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways