Author Topic: Visit to Cleveland Clinic  (Read 10815 times)

Mei Mei

Visit to Cleveland Clinic
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »
Dear All,
THe pain doctor in Wash. referred me here becaise he didn't feel capable to help me.   I scheduled a Sleep study for last night but thereason a 26 in. snow an it took me 3 hours to get here from downtown.  The roads were closed but a nice patient on the main campus took me to the study.   It was a difficult night.

Pls pardon my tyuping as I a,m hopitalized in an observation unit.   I wemt to the Pain appt today at 10 and the doctor decided to do another Occipital Nerve Block before trying the nerve implant from Medtronic.   After several shots, my face went cold and I said I couldn't take a breath and felt dizzy.  They said just sit there amd do you want to lie down?  I did and then it started that I couldn't talk and take breaths.  That was the last I re,e,bered.   I passed out and there they intubated me and by ambulance to the ER.   I remember being scared and wondering if I were going to die.   Then I woke up in another place and the man said I am anER Doctor and you came here by ambulance.   I still had the tube in and O2.  They said I got a CT scan ... all while I was passed out from the shots.   after several hours they transferred me to the observation unit and I had a psychological interview to see if I was fit for the nerve implant.

Tired from typing...I'm due to go home tomorrow.

-- Mei Mei   :(
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Visit to Cleveland Clinic
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:00:47 pm »
Holy crap, Mei Mei what a can of worms!  When I had my first head injections, I passed out cold, too, but they just let me come too and I was OK.. I think they are being thorough to make sure you are not allergic to anything they shot you up with.  I had a migraine all night and didn't sleep a wink--called my neurologist and asked for a refill on my fioricet and he refused to fill it.  I think I've had it with him.  They just have no idea what it's like to have  a headache everyday and a brainwreck several times a week!!

Hang in there Honey!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:08:42 pm »
Fioricet never did anything for me,
  THe doctor came in and said that when he asked me if they took out any bone I said I didn;t know but I knew there was a titanium mesh and I showed it to him on my x-ray.  He also has my MRIs.   He said they probably took bone and not knowing it, he shot directly into my brain and I almost died today,

MM
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
Oh my goodness!!!!  What a very scary ordeal.  Please get well.  I do not know what else to say, but I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. 

Sending you many hugs and kisses my friend  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »
Thank you, Anne Marie.

Doc. came and told me he didn't know about bone removed from the skull when I said I wasn't sure.   He did ask me before the shot about why I had titanium mesh showing up on my x rays so how did he not know.   He said I passed out after I said I was dizzy and couldn't breath.  I remember being scared.   He said because there was no bone there he shot the several injections directly into my brain and that's why I passed out and eyes dilated.  He intubated me immediately and gave me O2.   I was so scared.   My skull still hurts after all those injections, so the Nerve block was no use.
Frustrated in Cleveland,
Mei Mei     :'(    :-\     >:(
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:42:31 pm »
Unbelievable!!!! Wish you full recovery and complete relief of those headaches! Big hugs!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:18:36 pm »
Thank you Eve.  I'm so disappointed.  There's the pain in my skull and neck still there.  He said he would give me Botox shots next ti,e this ti,e he gave a version of Lidocaine that starts with a D  and also Kenelog.   I'm really disappointed for the prospects i have tor a good life.

MM
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:08:17 am »
I asked for the nerve ablation like Cindy's but he said no because of the Occipital nerve not responding to shots.   I don't understand.   It should make sense but it doesn't.   He told me I could come again for Botox shots before I do the implant.   I'm not so sure about the implant and carrying something foreign around in my head on the outside.   It's bad enough I have this TItanium mesh...and now an implant with a box?

They had a psychiatrist interview me yesterday and he brought up a lot like about my divorce and what caused it...was he emotionally Physically or sexually abusive towards you?  The interview really upset me, but he approved me for the implant.  He also said I could join a rehab group that helps with pain.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

moe

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 09:05:26 am »
Mei Mei,
Thank God you are here with us to tell the story.

Unbelievable! They shot injections into your brain. So scarey. You basically have to micro manage these guys! "now, remember, there is no bone in an area. Make sure you don't kill me by injecting there.
"
I mean, really when they injected, don't you think they would notice it went in a little bit too easily????

I am befuddled. Do they have the tech inject the dye?

Anyway, glad you are here with us. I feel so bad for all you have to go through. Hang in there.........
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 09:32:34 am »
Thank you, Moe.   I am just calming down from the experience.   

What do you mean by having the tech inject dye?   There was no tech, just the doctor and the resident and the nurse.   They didn't do it with a fluroscope as I asked .   He said it wasn't necessary.   I showed him the xrays with the titanium plate.   I don't know why he didn't get it.   You have to bring your whole family with you and not come alone to these appts so they see there are people that love you.    Every time I don't bring family they make major mistakes like in 1988 at Georgetown when they took the wrong cervical disc and then took the right one after closing and reopening.  They cut my vocal chord so I had to get another surgery for vocal chord paralysis.   It's sitll not right and I can't run or walk up hills.

Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 12:42:31 pm »
Mei Mei,

I'm so happy you are starting to recover from this nightmare.  Once you are out of there and are able to think clearly you might want to seek legal advice.  As you stated you almost died.  That unfortunately is their fault for not fully reading the MRI and for not listening to your answers to their questions.  I am not a lawyer but there is negligence here on their part. 

I am so grateful you are back with us here and on facebook.  You have been a true friend to me, supporting me and giving me encouragement.  Stay well and keeps this doctors away from you!  So sorry about the pain in your head  :'(

Anne Marie XO  :-*
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 06:44:43 pm »
Everybody is encouraging me to sue except my daughter who is a judge for the City of New York and knows her law.   She said that I almost died and he fixed the problem and brought me back to life.   I would have a hard time winning because I suffered no brain damage.  Even though I wasn't breathing, they intubated me right away while I was passed out and gave me oxygen to save me, then they gave me a CT Scan in the clinic and transported me to the ER where after a few hours I was admitted to an Observation Unit.   They kept taking my blood for enzymes and then gave me another CT Scan at night.   The doctor came to see me twice and asked if I was feeling relief from the pain.   I said I still felt the pain in the neck and the pins and needles were still there but slightly less.   This morning he said I would feel some more relief after a few days.  I got Kenelog and something that sounded like Lidocaine but started with a D.  I asked for Botox and he said he would give me that if I came another time before trying the Medtronic implant for a week and then a 2 hour surgery. 

My tongue is all hurting and purple because when I passed out I bit it.  The nurse said that tongues take a long time to heal.  I have an appointment with an ENT on Monday and of course will show it to him.  I'm going to follow up with him on my sleep study and not go back to Cleveland for their Sleep Center.   I have had it.

I still don't understand why he didn't get it.   I showed him my x-ray and he said I see the Titanium mesh, but do you have any bone removed?  I said I'm not sure...look at the x-ray and he again noted the Titanium mesh.   When he came to see me in the Observation Unit, he said he didn't know that I was missing any bone and injected consequently directly into the brain which caused me to stop breathing, eyes dilate and pass out.  He said he was the one to intubate me.   I really thought I was going to die when I couldn't talk.  My voice wouldn't work as hard as I tried and I couldn't take breaths.  I was literally choking to death.   I'm so glad to be alive.  I'm going to see my daughter and her family tomorrow to see Mickey Mouse coming to Virginia.   I wish I could sue him, but my daughter thinks it won't work because I came out of it undamaged.

I can't find my post on Facebook.  Don't know where it went.  Is there anyway to search it.

I care about you too and hope that you and all our friends will recover soon.   I love you all!
Love,
Mei Mei   :'(
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

moe

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 09:11:08 am »
Mei Mei,
Good to know that it was the doctor's fault and not some tech's fault ;) Silly me

As your dtr said, you miraculously are OK, so no use suing unless there is damage. Sounds like the doctor was VERY attentive, for just that reason..Did he ever actually say he was sorry?????
I'm so sorry about your other episode in Georgetown.

" Ooops, took out the wrong cervicle disc. Well, let's just open her back up and take the correct one out. Anyone have any superglue or bond glue?"  :D
I'm medical so my humor is warped.....

Enjoy Mickey Mouse. Good play therapy! Play is good.......
Hang in there sweetie :-*
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

tenai98

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »
Wow, wow and another wow...
I am so sorry to read all of this...its scary..sure glad u are stil here with us in the forum...what a terrible chain of events....many hugs and prayers going out to you.....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

cin605

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 07:25:03 pm »
Huly %^$!
GEEZ.....What a kick in the pants that trip was....so glad to hear you when you called ...can not believe the stuff we go through to try and feel semi normal....
Close your eyes and think about that nice vacation spot we picked...w/ the one Doctor...and no referals! ::)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old