Author Topic: 5 months since Translab  (Read 2033 times)

block

5 months since Translab
« on: June 12, 2006, 01:26:11 pm »
I am approaching five months since my surgery.Dr.Kemper and Slater performed there magic on me back in January.Looking back they were pretty much spot on right when they explained what the recovery would be like.I spent 3 days locked up in the hospital and then another 2-3 weeks at home.My balance was a little off for the first month or so,nothing real seriouus but sorta that "beer stagger" on occasion.I was back on my bicycle after 6 weeks and ,in my opnion back to normal withinn 2 months.

Not having hearing in my right ear is a small frustration but my hearing in that ear was already about nil anyway.No headaches,a little bit of a tingling sensation on a very small part of my tongue,and some foods seemed to have taken on a bit of an odd taste although that has about gone away.I would advise anyone about to have this surgery to get yourself in shape.Your legs are very important in your recovery.My Docs insisted,although I did not need a push,that I walk as soon as I could after surgery.You somewhat have to reimtroduce yourself to walking and repitition is the only way to do it.Also drink all the water you can take everyday.This keeps the kidneys active as well as helping get all the meds out of your body.

One last thing to be aware of is the fact that most likely you are going to have a bad case of naseu.The meds and the fact that they are working near your inner ear causes this.It was not a pretty sight with me the 36 hours after surgery.Stick with it and all of this will go away but please have patients.

Boppie

Re: 5 months since Translab
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:27:59 pm »
Well, for me it has been 6 months since Translab.  Although, I continue to have tongue soreness and tingling near the tip.  Some foods upset my taste buds more than others. 

My recovery physical has been very good, too.  I did not experience nausea after my 24 hours in ICU.  I stayed in there over night and about 24 hours total.  I only vomitted clear water once in ICU.  The steroid shots did give me stomach cramps so I was taken off them on the third day.  Walking and head turning were the two best exercises for me.  Slow and steady wins the race, that's my motto.  I do stairs just fine and garden and shop and all the things I ever did.  No headaches. 

DeniseSmith

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 06:10:19 am »
block and Boppie

Happy to hear your recoveries are going so well.  I have only tried the stationary bike at the Y.  I am hoping next summer i will be able to handle my normal bike.

Again, glad to hear your recoveries are progressing so rapidly. ::)

Denise

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:49:07 am »
Denise and other balance seekers,

If you are looking to challenge (improve)your balance so's ya can get back aboard your bike, and going to the Y--here are a few things I do that really work.  I find if I lay off 'em for a few days or weeks, like lately, my balance starts to go down-hill again.

1.  Turn the treadmill to real slow, pick 2 small spots at about 45 degrees off to port and starboard and 30-50 feet away and walk while turning your head and trying to focus on each spot 10 times for a few seconds each, hang on if you have to. Then turn up treadmill to regular, moderate fast speed and walk for a minute with no hands. You are allowed to catch yourself when you go lurchin' offa the thing! I invented this one myself--people have a tendency to wonder what'n the hell yer doin', but we really don't give a crap about that DO WE!!! You can track your progress by the length of time you can go no-hands.

2.  Crank the treadmill up to moderate speed and incline it to about 5--this one really works!
Concentrate on no-hands as much as possible.  The secret to no hands is to find a spot about 15-20 feet away, and focus on it and not move your eyes. I was using a treadmill that was really close to a wall and did better on the ones farther away.  Also, don't even try to watch the stupid TVs they have in some treadmill areas, even with closed caption.  All your concentration needs to be focused on the sensors in the balls of your feet.

Again, you'll be suprised at how the no-hands improves from week to week!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:46:41 pm »
Yes Deb,  I have noticed that when I am especially tired I forget to walk on the balls of my feet.  As soon as I begin that flat foot plodding I get really clumsy and dizziness creeps back.  After a recent long plane trip I experienced some dizziness that took a few days to overcome.  Also, when I was away on that two month trip I didn't get enough outdoor walks with arms swinging.  Vestibular balance has to be reinforced regularly.