Author Topic: Waiting for MRI Results  (Read 5055 times)

novagirl

Waiting for MRI Results
« on: November 30, 2010, 02:53:50 pm »
Hello everyone - I am just going to vent for a few minutes here, so I apologize in advance but this is probably going to sounds like a stream of consciousness. I had my 4th MRI yesterday (been in w&w since July'09) and am waiting for the official radiologist's report... This waiting game is getting harder for me.  I know last time when they said they were faxing the report over to me, I was literally pacing around the fax machine. I wish this was easier. Overall, I thought the whole MRI experience was easier this time - seemed shorter in duration, I wasn't as anxious as previously and the technician was quite nice.  Anyway, the technician said her CD burner didn't work so she gave me the print out of the scans instead of a CD.  I looked at the scans last night and I do see my AN on them, but I have no idea if it is larger than before especially if we are talking about a 1-2 mm change.... I looked at my earlier scans and they look about the same to me. The one from yesterday does seems somehow rounder and brighter.... Anyway, writing this up made me feel better and I'll keep everyone posted once I know the results. I'll have my audiogram on the 9th of Dec and then a neuro consult to go over the MRI and the audiogram on Dec. 13th. Ultimately, no matter what the radiologist report says, my doctor will be reviewing the scans himself and comparing them with the previous ones, also it'll be interesting to see how I do on the hearing test. I haven't noticed any change since last time.  I just wish the whole process wasn't so drawn out. In the meantime, I am glad to see all the positive feedback from folks who recently had CK (and other radio treatments), as CK will be my choice depending on how this doctor consult goes...

Best wishes to everyone and thank you for "listening" :).
Right AN 10 x 10 x 7 mm - dx 7/28/09; w&w for three years
CK at Stanford October 2012 - Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys
Oct'12: 15 x 14 x 10 mm
Oct'14: 12 x 6 x 5 mm

Mickey

Re: Waiting for MRI Results
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:22:46 pm »
Hi Novagirl ! Yes, the drama of waiting and watching. It`s going ito my 4th year next Aug. I must have gotten used to things because just as long as I`m feeling good I pay no attention. As a matter of fact I most likely am going to skip this yearly MRI and go to a year + 1/2 or 2. Of course your MRI and hearing tests are your proof but having these symptoms the same for so long without them creating to much turmoil, I kind of got my own gauge if ever something should get out of hand then I`ll react.. We are all different but please stay positive whatever your choices cause everthings going to be allright! Best wishes, Mickey

novagirl

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:53:22 am »
Thank you for your words of encouragement, Mickey. I got the radiologist report this morning. Well, I was right about it being rounder... The measurements are slightly bigger now. The report states that in May, the AN was 9.5 x 9.5 x 7mm. Now, it is 11mm x 9.9 x 9.  So it's not a huge growth, but it is growth. Of course, at diagnosis, I was told it was 1.2 by a couple of doctors... So I guess they also measure them differently. Hearing test is next and then I'll see my doctor. I don't have any increased symptoms, haven't even had any dizzy spells in the last 8 months. But I am curious to see how the hearing test will go. Perhaps it's time to get this thing zapped.  I do think that perhaps getting it treated now will help me to avoid worsening of symptoms down the road. i don't know...

novagirl

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »
I just asked a question about w&w vs. CK for my type of "growth" on the cyberknife forum. Dr. Medbery's response was that this change in measurements may not be significant and he would recommend getting another scan in 6 months to see if the AN is in fact growing significantly, at which point treatment might be necessary. I am so grateful for those doctors on the cyberknife forum! I basically now have a doctor's opinion before I even go and see my neurosurgeon on the 13th!

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:18:25 pm »
The waiting is nerve racking, however, even after the treatment, not to sound negative, but we still need to find a way to cope with the ongoing MRI's and results. Be patient. It will get better. You eventually get tired of being tired of having an AN and you just go with the flow.

I think it comes natural to all AN patients that have an AN

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:44:03 pm »
 If you may have had some more symptoms accompanied by a tiny bit of growth your doing what your supposed to be. Staying on top of things is very important. In any case your AN is still small and the rest depends on what your inner self guides you to do. I know there`s so much we have to consider in our decisions but nowadays with the tech we have picking the right crew may be the hardest. (so many good DR`S) Whatever you decide, you don`t have to rush, youv`e got this early and everything going to be fine. Enjoy the holidays! Mickey

novagirl

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:20:24 am »
Thank you, Vivian and Mickey - the waiting does getter better with time - you are absolutely right. Also, I think I am fairly certain of my choice of CK vs surgery. At this point, the main issue for me is: do I go for CK now or do I wait another 6 months since the growth is so insignificant and I have no new/increased symptoms. This is the main issue I'll be discussing with my doctor. Dr. Medbery from the CK forum did note that decision-making in such a situation is difficult as you basically never know what the outcome would be, but I think waiting 6 months shouldn't have an awfully big difference. 

I also want my doctor to review all of my previous scans and compare them with the most recent one to see if he sees growth and if so how much. The radiologist's report is contradictory - she stated one set of measurements in her report done back in May. And then in the current report, she compares the results with the May measurements, yet quotes SMALLER measurements for the May result than she had previously stated! Which of course add to the so-called "growth." VERY confusing. But in the meantime, I am researching CK in order to be as informed as possible and to ask the right questions when I go for my appointment.
Thank you for support and listening!

mk

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:14:15 am »
Hi Luba,

sorry for all this "inconclusiveness" it can be very nerve wracking.
I also had a similar situation with the radiology reporting different measurements compared to previous reports and I found it very frustrating.

It is a great idea to ask your doctor to look at all previous scans. My experience has been that looking only at 6 month intervals doesn't really establish a trend, because of the margin of error issue. Remember that the margin of error is 1-2 mm, but also the average rate of growth of an AN is 1-2 mm per year. Therefore looking only at a few month intervals may mask the results. But long term, things are more clear. I think that if it is just statistical error, then there should be fluctuations in size, (measurements that are both higher and lower). But if they are consistently going upwards, then this should indicate a trend of growth.

Hopefully you will get your answers during your visit, and then you can make a more informed decision. Luckily you have lots of time on your side.

Keep us posted.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

novagirl

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:29 pm »
Hi Marianna - nice to hear from you! Thank you for your words of encouragement.  I definitely agree that radiologist reports can be frustrating. Fortunately, my doctor kind of predicted this when I saw him back and May and told me to make sure to bring ALL of my previous scans so he can compare them for himself. So I am basically waiting for my appointment to hopefully clear this up. In any event, as you know I am pretty much set on getting CK. So it's a matter of deciding when to do it... should I wait for another scan or not. Hopefully, this will also become clearer after my appointment. I will definitely keep you posted.

Continued wellness wishes to you as you look into surgery options. Please keep me posted on how it goes.
Luba.

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:20 am »
Hi Luba!

Am just reading your original post and hope you are feeling better today!
As another AN patient approaching MRI #4, your post has helped me realize i need to ask specific questions about comparing all scans, starting in 2008.
So thank you for this discussion, as once again, i have learned something for my future appointment.  -- Thank you!

Looking forward to your update after your Dec 13 appointment.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

novagirl

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 03:49:38 pm »
Hello everyone - just writing to give a quick update. Had an appointment with my doctor this afternoon to go over the MRI results. The radiologist report noted a 1-2 mm growth. The audiogram shows normal hearing in both ears.  The doctor looked at my scans going over a year back - and he does not think that this is real growth. So since nothing else has changed, he recommends to have another MRI in 6 months and take it from there.  Sounds reasonable to me! So off I go to continue my Christmas shopping!

TOM101

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »
http://www.myacoustic.org/  interviews with doctors. 90 minute inteview with Dr Chang.
I'm watch and wait 1.5cm , saw Chang yesterday. He recommended CK doesn't like to do surgery under 3.0cm.  He does 50/50 surgery and Ck so is not biased, very statistical and % wise.
My concern is facial, he has no facial in 500 CK, except one person who didn't take his advice of surgery with a 3.6 and got facial problems Good luck.

Mark241

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:05 am »
Howdy Nova, writting this a little late sorry. Guess i'm what you would call a "Tube" veteran, 13 MRI and 6 CTs' next one in comming up in Jan. I completely understand the W&W time, SUCKS! Over the past 2 years or so, I kinda worked out a system that may work for you and others, that has helped me. I always' schedule my scans the same day as my my appointment with my neurosurgen, say an hour or two after the scan. Then tell the imaging techs' that my Neuro needs the report for the appointment, radiologists seem to read the scans much quicker and more accurately if they know the Surgen needs' them in short order. It's worked for me, then again i'm considered a "Special case, and have my own chair in the waiting room" Ha Ha, Good Luck and am praying for good results. 
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w