Author Topic: complete silliness  (Read 8124 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
complete silliness
« on: November 11, 2010, 08:42:26 am »
Even though my balance has returned to a level that is "good enough" for most things, I still do things to improve it. Also, for two to four weeks following each of three vocal cord injections, I was limited to lifting no more than 10lbs. I didn't like this since I had lost so much muscle in my upper body post-surgery. Plus, I had strength and range of movement issues with my left arm and it needed exercise.

One day last summer while cruising Walmart, I found some bean bag bocce balls. They weigh almost a pound each and, being softish, they are good for juggling. So, I have been using juggling to improve strength and low-level endurance. I have also been juggling to improve my balance.

Staying focused, keeping my feet planted and working at being rock-steady is one exercise that has helped.

The other is to juggle and walk which forces me to deal with distractions on the periphery while focused on juggling.

Today, I final got up the nerve to attempt the stairs. It took me seven attempts before I could successfully go up and down in one unbroken circuit. This is actually quite challenging since the inclination on a poor throw is to reach out - which is a REALLY BAD IDEA on stairs.

Silliness, I know, but fun.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Lizard

Re: complete silliness
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 08:50:51 am »
Wow Tod, what an interesting way to work on your balance!  I love it, just be careful on those stairs...
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 03:00:46 pm »
Tod ~

Thanks for sharing your balance exercise adventures.  I always like the practical ones, such as climbing stairs.  This is something I have to do everyday (I live in a Townhouse condo) and it really helped.  My big achievement was climbing up or down stairs without using the handrail.  I can do this 90% of the time, whether at home or in a public setting and although it took some time to master, it was a big confidence-builder as it related to my balance.  Prior to my surgery, I had lost so much of my normal equilibrium that walking up or down a stair without having a white-knuckled 'deathgrip' on the handrail was almost impossible.  Not any more - but it took practice and lots of 'failed' attempts, i.e. getting 'shaky' halfway up or down the stairs and needing to grab the hand rail, fast!

Congratulations on your balance progress and know that as you push forward, it will definitely improve.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:45:27 pm »
Jim,

When I went through balance therapy, my therapist was very pleased that I automatically used a handrail. It's not exactly a bad thing to do, but it does indeed build confidence to know that one can use the stairs without grasping a handrail. This is especially since some of the places I go there are no handrails.

If I have to carry something down the stairs, I will run my shoulder against the wall for stability, especially at night.

I had been tempted to try juggling on the stairs for some time, but was nervous about it. Obviously though, once I did it, I just had to brag. ;-)

And Liz, I am always careful. Falling down stairs is not something I enjoy at all.

-Tod

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:28:23 pm »
That is quite an accomplishment, Tod!  I'm quite sure if I didn't fall down the stairs, I'd hit myself in the head with one of the balls and knock myself unconscious that way!   :D

I find myself leaning my shoulder on the wall when I'm carrying something down the stairs too.  I did have to master not using the railing in public places shortly after surgery though, as I have germ issues.  Ever see the show "Monk"?  That's me.    :-[

Next time I take my kids to the circus, I'll be looking for you doing your juggling act! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tod

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 06:46:29 pm »
My niece is germ-phobic. She's a second-year med student at Saint Louis U. Her undergraduate internship in the county medical examiner's office pushed her limits.

I, on the other hand, am pretty much the opposite. I figure the more germs I am exposed to, the better my body can fight things off.  And I won't go into my eating habits when backpacking or trail running. Calories are more important than germs.

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:47:19 am »
I figure the more germs I am exposed to, the better my body can fight things off. 

Never really liked taken antibiotics myself. And I didn't like that my whole body was wiped clean right before surgery. I'm taken Probiotics every so often since my surgery. But I still don't like that I got wiped clean.

Saw my ENT yesterday (Nov 11, 2010) and he said he never seen someone recovery their balance as fast as I have. I'm doing the therapy the vets listed. I look at something on the wall and turn my head left to right just fast enough that I feel the issue. When ever I think about it. I'm also walking and looking left to right and up and down. This looks strange to people at Lowes and Walmart. But I notice noone seams to care. Prob think I'm being a weirdo. But I do it everytime I think about it.

I'm using my vision, and sense of where my brain is at, as a crutch. I'm afraid I'm relying on that too much.

I have no stairs in my life and now since reading your post I want to go to my buddies home and try em out.

32 hours is double the amount of my surgery time. How long till you weren't sore on your surgery table side?
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

sunfish

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:58:39 am »
A neurologist I saw said he knew someone with an AN who, post-treatment, went to the beach with some wiffle balls and a bat, threw them up, and practiced hitting them.  Sounds like another good balance exercise.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Brewers7

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:39:10 am »
Tod,
     I always enjoy your posts.  In the past few weeks, I have been able to walk up stairs without using the rail.  Can't do downstairs yet, but I will now think about your juggling antics and be inspired.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Tod

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:34 am »
32 hours is double the amount of my surgery time. How long till you weren't sore on your surgery table side?

Funnydream, I'll let you know when I do.  ;D Actually, it really is not bad now, except on hard surfaces. I still have a small hematoma under the skin, probably a bit larger than a pea. Originally it was about the size of a walnut.

Susan, thanks. Don't rush into not using a handrail...as much as an accomplishment it might be, it is not worth a fall. The fact is, I only decided to attempt this when I did is because a couple weeks ago I had to carry one of dogs down the stairs (64lbs) because she had hurt herself.

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 02:51:02 pm »
A neurologist I saw said he knew someone with an AN who, post-treatment, went to the beach with some wiffle balls and a bat, threw them up, and practiced hitting them.  Sounds like another good balance exercise.

I like that.  Back in 2006, as I fought to regain my sense of balance, post-op, I had my wife 'play catch' with me using a soft rubber ball about the size of a bowling ball.  We did this at a local park, right after we walked our (then) usual 2 miles.  I've never been the least bit 'athletic' and I felt like a dork, at first, because I couldn't catch the ball most of the time.  Eventually (a few days) I was able to follow it and catch it most of the time.  I stopped then because the 'game' had served it's purpose.  My balance continued to improve.  I only had about 3 actual PT 'sessions' with a professional from the VNA.  After that, she said I didn't need her and to do things on my own...so I did.  Fortunately, I recovered quickly.  However, although my balance is quite serviceable, I still use my sight as my main source of positioning and I realize that is a crutch I should try to use less often.  However, I'm not fanatical about it and unlike some of our younger and more vigorous members, I lead an active but not exactly an 'athletic' lifestyle so my attempts to perfect my balance are done at a leisurely pace.  Still, I'm well aware of my balance 'deficits' and will continue to work on improving my balance just for my own satisfaction.  I'll do that using practical methods and expect to continue to meet with success.  Batting a Wiffle® ball on the beach is a good idea.  All I need is a beach.     :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 03:03:23 pm »
The beach is where I got most of my vestibular rehab.  We went to Pensacola 5 weeks after my AN surgery - walking in the sand was very interesting, to say the least!  Then at 4 months we were at the Jersey Shore for a week.  It was a little better, but I didn't trust myself in the waves yet.  Now at 3 years, I spend most of my time at the beach managing to remain upright while keeping my wild kids from floating out with the tide.  Even went boogie boarding this year.  You just have to keep trying new things to see what you can do - you might surprise yourself!

Juggling, however, I couldn't do even on my best day before surgery.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:56 pm »
My exercise I did to regain my balance I named the "Bobblehead Strut." The folks at the gym looked at me strange because I did it on the treadmill, trying to "target" my eyes on different distance objects in the gym. A juggling Bobblehead Strut must be a sight to behold!!
I've been out of commission for over a year due to a painful back injury from a pelvic surgery I had in May 09.  My balance is now at about what it was a few months post-op (and I'm 8 years out) proving that if you don't use it, you lose it.  I am getting good treatment for my back at a pain clinic, so am looking forward to getting my strut on once again!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kansas

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:27 pm »
Terrific idea, Tod!--Kansas

Tod

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »
Thanks...but it turns out it is still not enough. Over the weekend I did my first backpacking trip post-op. All went well until night time when some of us went for a walk to warm-up. I staggered all over the place. A bit frustrating, but will just have to keep healing and working.

Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.