Author Topic: Scar Revision at Georgetown Plastic Surgery  (Read 4717 times)

Mei Mei

Scar Revision at Georgetown Plastic Surgery
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:26:54 pm »
Hi!

My doctor suggested that I try scar revision next year if all else fails with him and all the meds we are trying plus the nerve blocks.

Has anybody been to Georgetown for this and how did you make out with the resolution of the headache problem?

See this link:

http://www.georgetownuniversityhospital.org/body.cfm?id=555836

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lizard

Re: Scar Revision at Georgetown Plastic Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:33:33 pm »
Can't say that I have, what is a scar revision and what does it entail?  Well looks like you've found someone who can help, or at least wants to help  :D
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:56:29 pm »
Yes, I hope so and will try as well as pursue the snoring sleep apnea problem which causes cluster headaches.

Just found this support group on Occipital Neuralgia (ON)

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/occipital-neuralgia-discussions/general-support/980634-anyone-with-experience-with-dr-ducic-georgetown

More to read and join!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

opp2

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:50:30 pm »
Hi Mei Mei

I've often wondered if those who suffer from residual headaches have scar tissue issues, or improper healing of the scar and scalp. With so many people suffering tension headaches related to muscle issues, it flows that someone who has had the muscles cut or pried apart for access during brain surgery could have irregular healing. So many nerves to irritate on the head too. All the best to you in your research. I sincerely hope you get relief.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:19:39 pm »
Thank you, Nikki, for your thoughts on my looking for an answer to this headache problem with Postsurgical AN removal.   It's quite daunting and confusing as I am not a doctor and do not want to go through another surgery again.   My father just yesterday passed his 96th birthday with no surgeries in his history and how blessed he is!

I , with each surgery, with the exception of my laparoxcopy for endometriosis, don't feel better.   I've changed with each surgery and gotten weaker and less healthy.   I am determinsed to recover.   I just joined a Gym and gotten a private trainer with hopes that I'll get stronger and better.

I'll look for comments on this Dr. Ducic and also investigated the Sleep apnea problem.

Hope you all with to as well!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

staypoz

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:28:44 am »
Mei Mei, I went to see Dr. Ducic several years ago but decided not to have any additional surgery.  After I saw him, I posted on this forum about him and Janet came from the west coast to have surgery with him.  You can search for her posts.  She came to a DC support group meeting and Dr. D. himself also came to talk. 

staypoz

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:44:41 pm »
Good observation Nikki, I had my scar revisited by Dr Rutka @ Toronto General a little over 2 years ago.  I had a lump that you could see, feel and let me tell you it was extremely sensitive to touch.  Before the scar neuroma was removed I too had several rounds of steroid injections.

Mei Mei, my Dr used local anesthetic in an operating theatre, so the surgery was relatively a breeze.  I had a nurse who sat on a little stool watching my vitals, telling me to breathe, holding my hand and rubbing my arm.  I had another nurse rubbing my leg.  It is amazing how soothing human touch can be, I know it really helped me to stay calm.  (I did post about my experience, I just do not know how to retrieve it.)  I went home on pain killers, I think T 3's.  I was sore and than tender for about 2 or 3 weeks.  Today when my face is jerking around and I have a headache my scar gets red and is sensitive to touch.  I use a pain relieving cream on it. 

Take care,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games