Author Topic: Transear - tell me about it!  (Read 30974 times)

meganlynn

• "No pit is so deep that He is not deeper still"
Re: Transear - tell me about it!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »
We took our daughter, 6 years old, to the actual "TransEar office" and I would say it was WELL worth the trip.  Although we live here in the Nashville area, and have been in the care of Vanderbilt (Bill Wilderson Clinic), we felt since we were just 5 hours away it was a given to go to the source.  I can't tell you how glad we are for that decision!  They were able to tweak things right then and there.  None of the visit was traumatic for our daughter... even the making of the mold.  She has had her TransEar for a few weeks now, and wears it 8-10 hours a day.  She has never complained of discomfort.  I'm sold! :) :)
Blessings!
Megan ... mom of Emma, TransEar user.
:)

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:18 pm »
 ;D (For Mei Mei)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:08:06 pm by 6pick »
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

Mei Mei

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:30 am »
And to you, too!   ;D  I hope you are recovering well.   I saw that you just had your surgery.  When do you think you'll get the TransEar?  I'll make my appointment after Thanksgiving.  Was thinking of going to Tennessee to get a good fitting like MeganLynn.

Have a great Sunday!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 12:51:43 pm »
Oops, no, I didn't have surgery, I had CK (I think you were referring to me  ???).

The jury's out for me on TransEar or BAHA or SoundBite. TransEar gets mixed reviews so far, Jan's pretty strong on BAHA and so are many other users. SoundBite isn't on the market yet, I think. The truth is I haven't tried any of them yet, and that, plus insurance coverage, is probably going to be the deciding factor. I'm inclined to wait until my follow-up MRI / Audiogram / consultation-with-the-doctors to take the next "action" step, but I want to know what's out there when I go to that consultation. I don't know, does that seem like a wise plan?
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

Mei Mei

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 02:42:28 pm »
A very wise plan, indeed.   I still am working on my Post Operative Headaches which get in the way of my following up on the hearing problem which is minimal compared to my hearing since I retired on disability because of all this.  I can't get the BAHA because of my headaches and tenderness on the scalp, I just don't want any more surgery there even though the BAHA is a small surgery, I just don't want to upset the apple cart with all the headache problems I have.  It turned off my ENT who specializes in BAHA and Cochlear Implants, as he was eager to schedule me last June, but that's the way I feel.  I've suffered too much to take any more surgery.

I am a personal friend of one of the developers of the Sonnitus.  He's a dentist out in Calif. and I send him comments from the threads on Sonnitus.  They should know how we feel about it in order to make a better product and from what I read recently on that thread I don't want to go for it in spite of the personal aquaintance.   You live in the Bay area and you could have been a study protocol participant.   Why didn't you go for it?  I guess it was too late since you were recently operated on.

That leaves me with TransEar and the woman from Michigan really likes it.   She got a good fitting probably and that must be the key to success or failure of the TransEar working.  I'd like to give it a try and might even go to the office in Tennessee to get it fitted since the audiologist locally that was highly rated didn't even return my call asking for procedure codes to file with insurance. 

The people at TransEar respond within a few hours and I like that.

You come from the Bay Area.   I used to go there a lot because of my father's connection to Stanford and my daughter being in school at Stanford.   Lately I am tied down to Maryland and DC because my 96 year old father moved in with me and I responsible for his 24 hour care.  Loved California and all the wonderful things you can do there.   You're lucky to live there.
Take care,   ;)

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »
I was seriously considering the Transear prior to my AN surgery. I even talked with my ENT about it. I was willing to put up with all the all the side problems just to solve my SSD. Then I found out that y insurance would pay for it because it is an implant and not a hearing aid. I had my implant last  Wednesday and am now waiting the 3 months before I get switched on.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Mei Mei

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »
You got your insurance company to say it is an implant?   That's great.   I believe that as well.   What insurance company is it?   

My insurance company said they needed the procedure code before they could tell me whether or not they could pay for it.   Can you share that here?

I would greatly appreciate that information.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

meganlynn

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 07:12:42 pm »
We're still waiting to hear from our insurance.  I think another way to file is as a prosthetic device (TransEar).  Technically, it seems, it is not a 'hearing aid' ... and if your insurance covers prosthetics, there's an arguement to be had for it!  I'll let you know when we know something.... Megan (mom of a TransEar user :)

Thanks everyone for letting me join this discussion.  We have felt VERY alone in the area of SSD ... it's wonderful to find others who understand....
Blessings!

Mei Mei

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 07:32:42 pm »
Dear Megan's Mom,
No need to thank us.   You're always welcome and valued as a wonderful contributor.   Keep those posts coming and good luck with Megan.    You're a great Mom!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 08:01:25 pm »
We have Aetna insurance. Here is the link from the insurance company defining the requirements for the BAHA. They consider it an implant rather then a hearing aid.  Go to your company's web site and see what you can find.

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/400_499/0403.html
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23:03 pm »
Folks -

somewhere along the way this thread got off course.

A TransEar is NOT a prosthesis - because it it not an implant.  It fits in the ear and can be removed - it's not a permanent attachment.  It is a hearing aid.

A BAHA, on the other hand, is a prosthesis or implant - NOT a hearing aid.  The BAHA - at least the implant part of it - is a permanent piece drilled into the skull; that part of it is not removable (except by a surgeon).

Implants or prosthetics are typically covered by insurance; hearing aids typically are not.  There are exceptions to this "rule".

Keithk does not have a TransEar, he just had implant surgery for a BAHA.

Hope this clears things up  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

meganlynn

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 06:35:12 am »

TransEar ... Tell Me About It!!!

It seems to me that this wonderful conversation has been all about the topic...   TransEar   ... I simply stated that sometimes INSURANCE will cover it as a prosthetic device.  I was so excited to read this thread ... the conversations of people helping people ... I simply was adding what I have experienced to be true.  Although a TransEar is not surgically implanted, it is a bone conduction device and operates completely different from a standard hearing aid.  I may not have been a part of your community for long, but I have definitely done my research on this topic.

Obviously you know and have experience with Baha, and it is valuable information.  My experience with TransEar is valuable as well and I am so excited to be able to share it with others.  Emma (I'm Megan/Mom) has both the basic TransEar and the more current Clik.  Her life has been radically changed.  As a six year old, it is obvious her daily frustration level has been lowered.  She understands conversations significantly better ... "What did you say?"  has become much less frequent.  The doctor/company has been more customer friendly than any practice I've ever dealt with.  They are reliable and true to their word. 

Could it be that one reason TransEar hasn't taken over the industry is that doctors don't make nearly as much money off of it as they do a surgical procedure?  It may be taking off slowly, but it is an area of technology that will not stop.  The sky is the limit for TransEar ...  (and this is not a paid endorsement!  teeheehee.  I'm just a mom who is so excited about the possibilities!)  :)
Blessings!

meganlynn

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 06:39:40 am »
.... also .... many, if not most, prosthetics are removable. 
Blessings!

Mei Mei

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 07:17:39 am »
Very true, both of you.   Thank you for your input and support of TransEar.   My friend at Sonnitus (a dentist that helped develop is in LA)  said that when insurance companies realize that there are alternatives to having surgery that is much less expensive, they will fully endorse these alternatives.   There are more ways to Rome and BAHA.   Some people just can't do BAHA because of inability to have more surgery, lack of willingness to have more surgery or finances.

I'm glad to find out that this can be counted as a prosthetic device.   My neighbor had to have arms and legs cut off and the prosthetic devices are taken off daily.  They were paid for by insurance.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

meganlynn

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 07:27:07 am »
I am so excited about Sonnitus as well!  Actually, we were 'investigating' it when we descovered TransEar.  With Emma's age, TransEar is the only non-surgical option.  In the future (with permanent teeth!) she might prefer Sonnitus.  Thankfully both TransEar and Sonnitus will continue to hone their techniques and things will only get better....  Competition is a good thing  ;)
Blessings!