Author Topic: Transear - tell me about it!  (Read 30972 times)

Kaybo

Re: Transear - tell me about it!
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 07:28:45 am »
I am considering the BAHA ONLY because it is covered by insurance and nothing else is...I am certainly not in the position in my life that I am able to drop that kind of mondy on myself - my kids...YES...but not me!  I figure if I have gone this long (15 years) without anything, I don't need to spend all that money now!   ::)  Plus, I don't want to have stuff in my ear - especially something that I have to use lubricant to get there!   :o

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brewers7

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2010, 12:07:06 pm »
Getting mold for Transear tomorrow.  I am excited.  Although we thought there might be insurance coverage, BCBS would not cover BAHA or Transear.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:41 pm »
Many Blue Shield policies that were covering BAHAs are no longer doing so.  It's a shame.
~Dale
So far, Blue shield paid my surgeon, the anesthesiologist who gave me the IV Sedation, my pre-op and post op appointments, but they have not paid the hospital.  The hospital has also not billed me.  Evidently the insurance asked the hospital for more information and it was never sent.  As long as they don't bill me, I am fine.  I did pay a deposit when I arrived there.
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2010, 10:51:59 pm »
BCBS is one of those providers that need a little "push" when it comes to BAHA coverage.

Recently there was a case with BCBS of Illinois where they denied coverage to a teenage girl. 

Once the local news got involved, BCBS of Illinois changed their ruling and granted her coverage.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 10:52:37 pm »
How did the fitting go Brewers7???  I'm so curious to know.  YOu should get your Transear in what, 2 weeks or so?  I had to postpone my fitting.  My dad was having diabetes complications, hospitalized and ended up haveing the leg amputated.  Beem running back & forth from utah to Washington to help.  Figured I wanted to be near my sudiologist during my 30 day trial for tweaking and getting used to it at home rather than in an airport & hospital.  Things should settle down after the holidays and I can go in and get the mold done.  In the emantime,  PLEASE keep us informed how it goes. 

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Brewers7

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 09:36:23 am »
Had to go back for a second fitting.  I have a very small ear canal.  I am suppose to get it Tuesday (Dec 14)!
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010