Author Topic: Official Parrothead Thread  (Read 16618 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Official Parrothead Thread
« on: May 26, 2006, 10:59:32 am »
OK Parrotheads!  We can talk about anything in the general discussion can't we? Well, I saw MY American Idol, Jimmy Buffett on the Today Show a little while ago and got all inspired, and when Cap'n Deb the Parrothead gets inspired, she likes to spread it around.

I have embraced the Jimmy Buffett philosophy for the past 30 years or so, ever since I met him in Aspen in 1975 just after A1A came out.  He was hanging out up there and used to sit in regularly with this band I used to hang out with.  I got tired of the snow and moved back to the Caribbean to become a full-time sailor and musician, which I did for the next 20 years or so.  I was skippering a 52 foot ketch which was docked in St. Thomas and this bee-oo-tee-ful Cheoy Lee motored into the slip next to mine. Well, whaddaya know--it was Jimmy Buffett's boat Euphoria II.  I asked him what happened to my favorit Aspen band and he told me they had broken up. I had a part-time gig with a pick-up band at the time (Means I played with them while not on charter) and he said he was doing an impromptu gig there. I happened to not have a charter that night and what a concert it was!

I ran into him again several more times over the years of being a Caribbean Boat Bum, mostly on St. Barts.

I love his sense of humor and philosophy which is all about enjoying life and not taking yourself so seriously. He's a committed environmental activist and his Parrothead Clubs contribute to many local charities and environmental groups. Their motto is "Party with a Purpose". Radio Margaritaville is awesome and I listen to it over my 'puter whil I work and post--which is probably why I'm so chipper a lot of the time--I'm doin' a little Island Dancin', Mon!

As a musician, well, he's no virtuoso, but as a songwriter and novelist and children's book witer, he's unbelievable.  He's the only author in NY Times history to ever have a book on both the non-fiction bestseller list (A Pirate Looks at Fifty) and the fiction bestseller list (I believe it was either Tales from Margaritaville or Where's Joe Merchant) at the same time.

Anyway, I think Jimmy would love a lot of the insanity that goes on with us when we are goofing around, and God knows, we all have a common purpose to get better ourselves and to help other folks dealing with Acoustic Neuroma!

Since there's no Parrothead chapter in Boone YET, I thought we could start a little virtual chapter here! I know Dale will be in as he already told me he loves Buffett. His music helped Phyl get through her last CK treatment with flying colors! And one of our members is already a Parrot--just look at Gennysmom's pic!

So...............................................

Phinns up everyone!

Capt Deb 8)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:37:25 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Official Parrothead Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 01:27:33 pm »
Sweetie, I think you need to write your own book. Sounds like you've had a fun life, this time around.  (well, except for the AN.)

I'll have a cadillac margarita, please.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

matti

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:14:43 am »
I totally agree with you Sue, I think our Capt. needs to write her Autobiography. She has an amazing talent

Hey I think we found a new Motto for the good ship PBW and must add it to our wench flag "Party with a purpose".  Since our purpose is help all the ANer's of the world and all the joy we get from doing it ;D
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 12:39:06 pm »
You are absolutely correct about me DEB!!!  I'm in! ParrotHeads Rock!!! Buffet is my idol also and that's one of the reasons Carol and I live in our Land Yacht and cruise the muddy roads of this wonderful country.  We lived a good portion of our adult lives in other countries, Germany, Greece, Japan, etc., and now are having a ball seeing what's over the next hill in our native land.  I'm not sure what it says about me that two of my favorite Buffet songs are "Let's Get Drunk and Screw," and "Boston Blackie Mustache" (I not sure thats the name but its how I remember the song), and they certainly aren't my anthems but I sing loud and long going down the road when they are on the radio (we listen to Radio Margarittaville on Sirious Radio).  I also play in a band during the summer months in Montrose Colorado (a bunch of us old geezers get together and do old time country and occassionally some buffet and fifties rock), we aren't very good but we have a ball and the folks we play for are all in that checkout generation so they really don't hear that well anyway (probably shouldn't have said that on this forum huh????) :D

For those of you who haven't seen Deb's art work you need to check it out.  She definitely has had an amazing, full life, and her talents are apparently boundless.  Her fine art is spectacular, alive with vibrant colours.  I would buy her biography, I think it would be really interesting, especially if it was a tell all. ;) I agree that the motto for this site/and especially for the ship should be "Party with a Purpose."  You have my vote for what its worth.

Party on all!!

Road Trip Dale
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 01:54:20 pm »
Well, if I could sew, I'd make a flag and send it to Capt. Deb.  How fun that would be.

So, Capt., when's the book signing?  You'd take the book tour and we'd all get to see you someplace along the line.

Sue

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 05:40:54 pm »
OK, I am not a Parrothead, although I have parrots.  I'm more of the Dave Matthews genre of political and environmental consciousness.  But, Sue, I do know how to sew, worked in a fabric store for 8 years while I was in college and starting my career, so I can help there.  I guess I'll have to take a seat on the peripheral side of this thread since I don't listen to Jimmy Buffet music, but I like all the other stuff you're talking about.  So can I play Dave Matthews once in a while??  :D

Dale, I love Deb's artwork too.  I wish I had the time and the mind to take my artwork back up again.  Working a career sucks all the creativity out of you, at least it does me.  I need to buy me a Captain Deb work.  I'm working on teaching Genny to paint....I have a painting by one of our local elephants, and if she can do it, I think Genny can. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 06:38:03 pm »
You guys are great! Having a rough day :-[--talk later
Capt Deb 8)

Obita

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 06:09:40 am »
I too am a Parrothead.  I mourn the loss of left ear hearing when Jimmy comes to town.  No more concerts for me.

Jimmy Buffett always seems to come to the Twin Cities in the winter which adds to the fun.  Flip-flops and loud shirts instead of parkas and boots are the norm.  Makes for a cold dash to the Arena and back to the car but so worth it!!!!

Kathy O'Brien

Joef:  how is music with the BAHA?
Deb:  Hope today is better.....
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 09:25:17 am »
Radiomargaritaville broadcasts ALL of Jimmy's concerts live and does about 3 re-broadcasts of recent concerts a week.  His live performances are so different from his studio recordings. The Coral Reefer Band is absolutely awesome and can play anything, and Jimmy's interaction with the audience is hilarious.  He's got a bunch of live albums out--the most recent is Live at Fenway Park. A  good one is Live at Mansfield, too.

Wonder if we can register an online Parrothead Club and make our charity the Acoustic Neuroma Association? Hafta figure out a way to make money for it.  The usual fund-rasing method is they have parties every month and individuals and businesses raffle off stuff. Some of the more creative Parrot heads make goofy hats and decorations to raffle off. My friend Captain Cindette handpaints these great fishbowl Margarita glasses and donates them to the raffle.  They also sell Buffett T shirts, pins, hats and stuff at the parties.  They call them "Meetings" and have a big grill going for the cheeseburgers!

Phinns up!

Capt Deb 8)

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 06:52:22 pm »
Hey Parrotheads! I found an online Parrothead club officially snctioned by PHiP! click on http://vphc.com/main/ and check it out--I don't know itf they have "chapters" or not, but with an official membership you might actually get tickets (they sell out in hours) and we could raise money for ANA.
Capt Deb

Cheryn

• Cheryn from Southern California
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 04:09:11 pm »
Wow, this is exciting. A subculture of the parrothead world. I have parrots AND I'm a absolute, die hard Jimmy Buffet fan. How fun.
Cheryn from So California
5x9mm AN
Middle-fossa surgery at House Ear Institute, 8/19/05
Dr. House & Dr. Schwartz

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 04:15:33 pm »
Well, now welcome aboard Cheryn!
Oh Boy another Parrothead! I've been a Buffett phinatic since I first heard A1A back in 1975!!
Actually lived the lifestyle for many years, in Aspen and the Caribbean and JB was my next door boat neighbor for a while on St. Thomas.
If you want a really good chuckle, read the Good Morning thead from the beginning--should only take ya a few days!!!
Welcome to the world of AN Survivorhood!
Capt Deb 8)
of the Good Ship Princess Batty Wench

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 09:09:47 am »
I'm feeling a Cheeseburger in Paradise coming on!!!!!!!!!!!!

(btw, have seen Buffett 3-times, live... sign me up!)

P
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 09:17:02 am »
So our Pearly Girly is a "Closet Parrothead?"
PHins up, Clutzgirl!
Captain Deb 8)
JB PHinatic! ;D
and cravin' something "Creola" see Good Morning Thread!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 09:42:53 am »
...in the immortal words of our dear Pirate Wench.... AAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! ;D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"