Author Topic: BAHA implant today  (Read 9134 times)

Goldie

BAHA implant today
« on: October 08, 2010, 06:15:37 pm »
My worries were worthless!  I had my implant done this morning and it went extremely well.  Other than having to get up at 4 a.m. to be the first case of the day, all went well.  I just had a local, no sedation.  Interesting sounds and sensations during the procedure, but it wasn't a problem for me.  I was home before noon and had a nice long nap.   :)  I did take one pain pill on the way home that seemed to settle things down and have had NO pain since!  I do have the lovely headwrap for 24 hours and can wash my hair tomorrow.  I see the surgeon on Tuesday for follow-up.  Nice to share good news!!

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

Sefra22

Re: BAHA implant today
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »
Welcome to the BAHA club Denise! Glad things went so well! ;D

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

another NY postie

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:06:57 pm »
So happy it went so well for you...I am set to go on the 18th so it is great to hear people say it was no big deal!  Heal quickly!
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

ksiwek

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »
I was implanted yesterday!  All went well!  I haven't had any pain.  (However, I took the pain meds for the first 24 hours just in case.  Pain is always better managed if you stay ahead of it).  Denise you and I are on the same schedule!

I had twilight (IV sedation).  It was a very peaceful experience.  They kept my sedation very light.  I was awake during the last part of the case, but was so relaxed!  I left the hospital about 2 hours after surgery was complete.  BAHA surgery is nothing like AN surgery.  I was surprised at how easy everything went...the Dr laughed when I told him it was a pleasant experience.  But it was when compared to an 11 hour AN surgery!

I just took off my pressure bandage today and will attempt to wash my hair tomorrow.  I go back a week from today to have the Dr remove the cap.  Until then it will be quite a conversation starter   ;D

I am just hoping for an uneventful healing process!

Now I am counting down the days until I can use my processor!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 01:53:59 am »
See!  We told ya so. ;) ;D  Seriously, like we said in other posts that you had nothing to worry about.  You are in good hands of your surgeons. ;D  Glad to hear everything went well.  Just kick back and rest up.  3 months will be here faster than you think.  Have any questions about aftercare, just ask and we'll be here to help.   ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 05:30:03 am »
it truly is a piece of cake....my doc kept my cap on for a month...but i'm loving my BAHA....Get mine back Oct 22 as it was sent away for upgrades...
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lori67

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 06:56:34 am »
Congratulations!  Let the countdown to GOTCHA DAY begin!

;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »
Congratulations Denise & Kris!
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »
Wow busy BAHA week!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:52:21 pm »
It has been a busy BAHA week - and I predict it's only going to get busier.

Next up are Cheryl and Susan - followed by another Forumite I just referred to my doc for a BAHA; her surgery is scheduled for early November.

Denise and Kris -

I'm happy you both had pleasant experiences.  See, we didn't steer you wrong  ;D

Please report your Gotcha Days when you get them so someone can put them on the AN calendar.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Angela R.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:02 am »
I would love to know more specifics on the BAHA, if anyone is willing to share more.  My doctor said we would talk about it at my 6 month follow up but I am a little skittish about another surgery.  I also am not sure if it is worth it.  I have kind of gotten used to my hearing loss.  Does it really make that much of a difference to your daily life?  It is a pain to have to remove it every night for bed and every day to take a shower?
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 10:22:03 am »
I would love to know more specifics on the BAHA, if anyone is willing to share more.  My doctor said we would talk about it at my 6 month follow up but I am a little skittish about another surgery.  I also am not sure if it is worth it.  I have kind of gotten used to my hearing loss.  Does it really make that much of a difference to your daily life?  It is a pain to have to remove it every night for bed and every day to take a shower?

Surgery is a piece of cake for most of us.  It can be done under local and it can take about an hour and you'll be home that night. It's almost going to your dentist but longer.   No pain in removing the Baha for bed or shower.  I even forget I have mine on.  You don't want to get used to your hearing loss, it's not worth it being left out.   You're entitle to hear like everyone else.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 04:44:38 pm »
Angela,
The surgery is really nothing at all.  I agree, it is like going for a dental procedure.  The recovery is instant....I went out to lunch on my way home from surgery, and I heard that Jan had done the same thing.  Taking the BAHA on and off is like snapping a button.  There is nothing to it.  I wear a night guard for my teeth and taking the BAHA on and off is just as easy, if not easier.  I had also accommodated very well to my hearing loss, but the more time that went by, I found that I often just dropped out of conversations in noisy environments and felt I missed a lot.  It has only been a couple of weeks now for me, and I just got the upgraded BP 3 today.  I do hear a strong noticeable difference and hear sounds in a crisp clean way that I was missing before.  Things I think I had just forgotten about.  I think this is going to make my life much easier.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »
Angela, I completely understand your apprehension on having your skull touched again...I had my surgery a year ago September but it took me a full year for me to feel ready for the next step (I am scheduled for Monday).  I didn't want anyone touching my head, for the most part I function well with SSD, etc.  I have, however, gotten tired of the missing conversation and hearing is a problem for my classroom where I am, all things, a language teacher.  I need to hear!\ ::)  So just keep yourself informed and you will arrive at the day when you are ready to take the next step or not...I think we can all manage the SSD but as my neuroontolgist said - it is a quality of life issue - at least for me that rang true.

Dale, congrats on your BP3.  I will start off with that already upgraded and I am also getting the new implant that is supposed to ossify quicker so that should be interesting to report on.
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:06 pm »
Hi Cheryl,
I apparently also have the new implant, because the Oticon will not fit on my abutment.  It's a new and proprietary implant.  Pros and cons I guess.  However, I will tell you what my surgeon said.  He said no matter what Cochlear or any other manufacturer recommends, he will NOT allow the processor to be attached for a full three months.  He just does not believe that osseointegration can happen more quickly, and for some people it is even more than 3 months.  Just his opinion, of course, but thought I would pass that on.  He is pretty much a guru here in Southern California.  He does not want to have an implant come out and have to repeat the surgery to insert a new one.
Just FYI,
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego