Author Topic: BAHA implant today  (Read 9133 times)

Goldie

Re: BAHA implant today
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »
Good luck to you, Cheryl.  I hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.  I had it one week ago today and am doing great.  It's been for the most part painless. 

Angela, I thought I would be ready right after my AN surgery to get the BAHA but decided I needed more time to think about it before going under the knife again.  I always thought I dealt with being SSD well, especially since it was a gradual progression of hearing loss over the last few years.  I came to realize like the others that I was missing out on a lot of conversations and avoiding certain situations.  I reached the point this summer when I was willing to get another "hole in my head" to improve my quality of life!   ;)  You'll know if/when you're ready.  I personally wish my three months of waiting were up tomorrow!

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 08:34:48 pm »
Dale -

I personally haven't asked my doc his feelings about the new shortened waiting period.  He's a pretty conservative guy though, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he continues to go with the 3 month time-frame.

Kris just had her implant done by him and he's doing Meagan's in early November, so I'll have to see what they say.

Angela -

BAHAs rock!  Everyone just about covered your questions, but if there is anything I can answer for you, please don't hesitate to ask me.

I had the surgery with local anesthesia (no sedation) and did go out to lunch and attend my son's volleyball game at the local junior high school afterwards.  My son was a little embarassed by my lovely BAHA "hat", but I've always subscribed to the theory that parents need to embarass their kids every now and then  ;)

My healing was short and sweet - and I've been extremely happy  ;D with my BAHA since the day I snapped it on (June 4, 2008).

Another great BAHA resource - besides this Forum - is the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com)  It's a free discussion forum for Cochlear Implant and BAHA wearers and candidates.  You'll find a few of us there - including me.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Angela R.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 06:53:46 am »
Thank you all so much for the information.  I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this group.  I love my doctors at UM in Miami, but they really told me nothing about anything other than surgery day.  I have felt so out of sorts, confused and alone trying to figure this all out.  I am so happy to be hearing from all of you!!!!   :D
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

Angela R.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 06:56:08 am »
I forgot to mention, it is so true what you mentioned - you do drop out of conversations.  I find myself doing that more and more and I am glad you pointed that out.  After a while you kind of forget you do it.  Sometimes I have no choice but to drop out and sometimes I do it on purpose because it feels like too much work to have to pay that much attention to a conversation!
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

another NY postie

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:58:07 am »
Jan, my doctor said that he will play it by ear if I get it in 2 months or 3...so I don't think he is totally convinced and as they are so new so he said he would see how it goes re. the 2 months - I think he has been doing the new posts only since 3 weeks ago - I don't think he knows yet if it will be different...I am kinda hoping it is but not expecting too much!
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

ksiwek

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 10:30:37 am »
I saw my doctor for the one week follow up.  All he has ever said to me is that it will be a minimum 2 months.  He wants to see me back in another 2 weeks to check the progress of my healing.  I will ask him about the timeframe at my next appt and report back.  Honestly though, I feel that in the grand scheme of things 2 months vs 3 months isn't a big deal.  I would rather wait a few more weeks knowing it was fully healed.  I don't want it falling out or compromising its performance  ;D  However, only time will tell as Cochlear receives feedback and clinical data.  Either way, the BAHA industry is pushing forward with innovation...a GOOD thing!

PS I washed my hair today for the first time without a cup over the incision...exciting stuff!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 04:42:29 pm »
Kris -

did you go with the Cochlear implant or the Oticon implant?

The Cochlear implant has the new timeframe, the Oticon doesn't.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 09:43:11 pm »
Congrats on the new implants ladies!  I can't wait to get mine on the 27th.  What is the cap that you guys are talking of?  Is that something that covers the screw till it heals?
Thanks,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 08:38:28 am »
The BAHA implant "equipment" consists of three parts - the titanium rod that's implanted into the skull, the screw that's at the top of the rod, and the abutment that is placed on top of the screw.  The abutment is the only piece that resides outside of the head - it rests a tiny bit above the skull.  The abutment is also the part that the processor (tiny hearing aid) "snaps" onto. 

The cap is a small, round, white piece of plastic that docs generally put on the abutment when the BAHA site is healing.  It has a "stem" so it sticks into the abutment.  The cap typically holds a small bandage in place for about 1 week post op.  At that point the doc removes the bandage and the cap and lets you start putting ointment on the site to help it heal.

Usually this entire cap "set up" is covered by a large mastoid bandage (sometimes with a plastic "cup" over the site) wrapped around your head for 24 hours post op.  On the Forum we've been referring to this lovely mastoid bandage/cup combination as a BAHA "hat".

Jan