Author Topic: Gotcha day!!!  (Read 4787 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Gotcha day!!!
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:18 pm »
Hi all,
Well, I'm wired for sound! I saw the doctor and audiologist this morning and went right to the airport. I'm now between flights. It's so strange because my hearing is so much more normal!!! I had forgotten what it sounded like!  I noticed one issue on the plane, as my BAHA whistled and squeaked on and off. I may need further adjustments. But I could hear the person on my right side without turning my head all the way around! At the doctor's office, the printer was on to the right of me and the sound was not muffled. I know I will love this!
~dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Gotcha day!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:17:24 pm »
Dale ~

Thanks for the BAHA update.  You're joining a long list of satisfied BAHA users.  We'll be looking for any updates but I'm confident you and your BAHA will be very happy together.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »
Dale -

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I am so happy for you  ;D I still remember my BAHA Gotcha Day and how thrilled I was.

If you travel by plane enough, the whistles and squeaks will go away.  My BP100 squealed at a lot of "foreign" sounds until it got used to them.  For example, when I start my car there's a bell that goes off until I fasten my seat belt.  The first few times I drove after I got my BP100 it would squeal in response to the bells, but very soon it stopped doing that.  It actually has the ability to determine what sounds in your life are normal and will stop "pointing them out" to you as time goes on.

If the whistles and squeaks don't go away, ask your audiologist to turn off the feedback manager.  Sounds strange, I know, (logic tells you that the manager should be on) but that's usually the solution. 

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »
Happy Gotcha Day, Dale!

So glad you're enjoying your BAHA already!

I've never had an issue with mine on a plane - I turn mine OFF and gesture to the person sitting next to me that I'm deaf if they start to talk to me!   ;)  I always wind up sitting next to the worst person on the whole flight!!   :D

Happy hearing!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:28:26 pm »
Thanks, guys!  Lori, I love your solution!!!!  That is a riot.  Capitalize on SSD!  I'm at my daughter's in Reno now, visiting the grandkids, but Monday morning I leave for Atlanta to lecture so again, a plane and again on Wednesday.  We'll see if there is any change.  It's so strange, as I am sitting here typing this post, I am hearing the sound of the key pad in a whole new way.  I guess you don't completely know what you were missing until you have it again!  Honestly, I did not expect such an immediate response.  It was instantaneous.  The one thing I have trouble discerning is the differences in the three programs on the unit.  We played with it in the audiologists office, but I do have a follow up appointment with her before I leave for Africa in a few weeks.  I just need to make sure there is a difference in the manual settings.  I know there are internal settings that are automatic and adjust for the environment.  It's so humid in Africa, I am wondering how I will keep the drying jar dry.  No microwaves where I am going to be, but most of the people I will be staying with do have ovens.....some cook in their backyards on an open fire......I will play it by ear....no pun intended!

The audiologist did tell me that if I have trouble with the buttons or any other issue, we will send it back to Cochlear for the BP upgrade.  I think she was trying to tell me it would be ok to say I'm having trouble!  She said she is getting them back in about a week.  Since I will be so limited in time before Africa, no matter what, I think I would wait til I am back.  I will be there three weeks.

All in all, I am very, very excited and happy to be among the hearing.  I am somewhat surprised...I thought after all this time it would take a while before I noticed a difference.  Glad to have been wrong!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:10 pm »
P.S.  As an aside, yesterday, of all days, I suddenly had tinnitus.  I had not had it since my hearing loss was still new.  But the tinnitus was strange.  It wasn't a "ringing" or "whistling" it was more of a crunching sound, like static.  It started and stopped all day yesterday and again early this morning.  That was the first thing I told the doctor this morning.  Interestingly, when he looked, he said I had a big wad of wax up against my eardrum and when the little hairs in there moved and hit the wax it was causing the sound!!!!  He used his magnification device and I saw inside my ear on the big screen!  He got it out and said I would have no more interference.  So far, he is right. He asked if I use Q-tips, and the truth is, I haven't for years, because my first ENT lectured me about the ills of Q-tips.  He said that they apply antibacterial ointment around the BAHA insertion site AND in the ear during surgery.  He said that being there may have pushed the wax in further.  Isn't that BIZARRE??? ??? ??? ???
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 05:15:20 am »
That is bizarre  ::)

Glad your BAHA is thrilling you - now you know why I like mine so much  ;D

The jar of beads will help with the moisture, but there is another option out there - a Dry and Store.  It's definitely more expensive (about $100) but it's well worth it.

I just looked at one two days ago at my neurotologist's office.  It's got a drying mechanism to take away moisture as well as some kind of light that disinfects.  It's suitable for all types of hearing aids including BAHA processors.  They are fairly large - audiologist explained that's because sometimes a husband and wife both wear aids and can put them in one box.  Not sure of the electrical situation where you are going - but it might be an option.  I plan to purchase one just as soon as I get back on my feet financially (starting new job today - YEAH!!!)   

There is also a traveling Dry and Store - without the light.

http://www.dryandstore.com/

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 10:53:17 am »
Thanks, Jan.  I will look into it.  When you use the drying beads, do you put the cover and body of the BAHA in separately or do you put the cover back on after taking out the battery?  I put them in separately last night because that seemed the most logical for drying.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
Thanks, Jan.  I will look into it.  When you use the drying beads, do you put the cover and body of the BAHA in separately or do you put the cover back on after taking out the battery?  I put them in separately last night because that seemed the most logical for drying.
~Dale

That's the right thing to do.   You want the battery compartment opened while it's in the jar so it can remove the moisture. ;) 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:42:20 am »
Ken's right.  You should put the pieces in separately; best way to remove moisture.

another NY postie

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 06:32:16 am »
Dale, I just read your post and just wanted to let you know how EXCITED I got just reading it!  I am scheduled for Baha surgery on the 18th and I have had some bouts of cold feet and your excitement and thrill at hearing again is catching!  Congrats on you Gotcha day and good luck in Africa! :D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

ombrerose4

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 08:45:10 am »
Congratulations on your BAHA day! It is truly an amazing device and I am sure will enjoy wearing it. I have the DRy n Store device that Jan mentioned and it works great. And Jan is right- my husband puts his hearing aids in it too. :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:28:43 am »
Cheryl -

don't be nervous.  BAHA surgery is a piece of cake - nothing compared to AN surgery.

You'll be fine.

Jan

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 10:35:48 am »
Cheryl,
Glad this was inspiring to you.  I'm thrilled.  I have also had major brain surgery, though my tumor was not an AN.  This procedures was a piece of cake.  I was awake, just a little conscious sedation and local anesthetic.  I was able to hear them (including the drilling!) but with a little conscious sedation, it's like you don't even care!  There was essentially no pain and no ill effects.  I went out to lunch on my way home from the procedure.  The hardest part was waiting the 3 months to get my processor!  Good luck, you will be fine.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA