Author Topic: I got BAHA screwed today  (Read 7171 times)

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
I got BAHA screwed today
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:48 pm »
I just got home from surgery.

I have a huge plastic cup strapped to my head. I call it my nut cup.

I'm loopy and I'm bruising already.

I look dead sexy.

While certainly not in the same league as having the original translab, I did not enjoy being awake for the abutment placement. The highlight was being given the box with my processor. It's a reminder that in a short time, all this will prove worthwhile.

I'm so grateful to have my Recovery Kit :) I'm gonna enjoy a medicinal piece of chocolate and take a nap now.

-Tracy
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I got BAHA screwed today
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »
Tracy Lynn ~

Congratulations on getting through the BAHA abutment surgery!  You're right, the end result will be worth the discomfort and inconvenience.  I believe in medicinal chocolate.  Enjoy!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ksiwek

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 04:21:46 pm »
Tracy Lynn,

How exciting...congrats!  If you remember me I had surgery just a few weeks after you.  I am looking to get a BAHA in the next month or so.  I am not excited about having it done under local...did they give you valium?  How long did it take?  If you did it all over again, would you have requested general anesthesia?  What company did you go with?  So many questions for you!

How have you been feeling from your AN surgery?  I will be 13 weeks post op tomorrow.  I think my turning point was around week 11.  My eyes have been slow to recover, but physical therapy, exercise and most of all, time, have helped.  I am not ready to be back at work yet...my body and mind are still recovering from the pregnancy/having a newborn and the big old tumor that was taking up space in my head!

Would love to hear how you are doing...I am sure you have posted somewhere on the forum all about this so I apologize...it is hard to get on here a lot with the baby!

Anyway, I am thinking of you as you count down the days to you are healed and ready for the processor!!!!!!!!!  Yay!!!!!!!!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

iluuvpups

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:35:08 pm »
Hey Tracy.  Congrats on your implant!  I am just in the process of figuring out which Baha device to get and getting insurance approval, so I'm a few months behind you.  There's one side of me that wants to understand what you want through so I know what to expect, yet I'm scared for you to tell me!  Why was it so bad?  How long did the procedure last?  Thanks.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:19 pm »
I had my BAHA abutment done under local with some valium and did not feel a thing. I fell asleep a few times and the whole procedure was maybe 45 minutes. Recovery was quick and easy-took off bandage next day and was able to wash hair within three days without getting site wet. All in all, a pretty easy procedure for me. I hope your recovery will be short and sweet! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

iluuvpups

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 05:47:36 pm »
Thanks for the information, Ombrerose!

How did you guys decide which type of Baha to get?
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:22:12 pm »
Ah, yes.  The famous BAHA "hat" with the lovely white plastic cup and the very fashionable gauze.  I remember it well.

And my very stylish pictures, donning said hat are here on the Forum somewhere.  My only regret was that I removed the two yellow smiley face stickers the nurses stuck to the cup before I took the picture.

I'll just bet you look dead sexy  ;D

The good news is you get to remove this wonderful contraption 24 hours post op - or at least that's my doc's protocol.  He also lets patients shampoo - with a cup covering the site - 24 hrs post op.

Glad you made it through, but sorry you didn't have the most pleasant experience.

I had local with absolutely no sedation, but that's just me.  Prior to the surgery my doc likened the experience to having a cavity filled at the dentist's office and I found that to be true.  A very surreal experience, definitely - but I'd do it that way again in a heartbeat.  It really didn't bother me but a lot of the time was spent not really concentrating on what was being done to my head.  I talked to the nurse at the end of my drape "tunnel" and on occasion talked and joked with my doc.  The fact that I was laying on my "good" ear also helped muffle the noises.

When it comes to anesthesia, most docs do give you the choice - local vs general - but I have heard of docs who only do it with general; it's one of those doctor preference things.  My doc gives you the choice, but interestingly enough 90 - 95% of his implant patients choose local.

Enjoy the chocolate - you definitely deserve it.  I'm just glad I mailed it off to you.  It's been a pretty horrendous week in my neck of the woods and I would have been tempted to devour the entire bag  :D

pups -

to answer your question, I tried both the BP100 demo and the Ponto Pro - and chose the BP100.  It's my second Cochlear processor (I own a Divino).

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11170.0

Jan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:45:35 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:54:44 pm »
Hi everyone,. thank you.
I had my surgery with local, my Doc didnt give me the option. I think midway through surgery he wishes he'd given me the general or a valium. I know I was sleep deprived and stressed out anyhow from the past 2 weeks of trying to organize getting ready to go overseas I was over emotional.

When I laid on the table, I was already nervous and my anxiety shot way up. I have really bad white-coat syndrome so anything with doctors freaks me out a bit. I developed a bit of a tremor in one leg. The doctor and nurses were very kind and tried to talk to me about my pending trip, but I really found it difficult to not think about what was going on. I'm slightly claustrophobic, so my anxiety was heightened when they draped me. The nurse kept talking to me, but when they shot me with the local, I panicked a bit. I could see the suction tube hanging over the table they were using to hang the drape over me, so I kept my eyes closed. Doctor Thedinger was the same doc who did my translab. He was very patient with my nerves. He did shoot me with a bit more local at one point because I felt a little bit. I'm such a weenie.

I concur that it was very much like having a bad cavity. I'm a bit worried because Dr Ts nurse that I spoke to about my trip apparently hadnt talked to him about it, so he didnt know that Im flying out on Sept 10th. He said he'll remove my stitches next thursday, but that generally they leave them in for 20 days. I'm a bit worried that it will affect my healing.

I would totally do it again. I think it took about an hour, and it will be completely worth it in a few months.

Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:44:16 pm »
Tracy -

you did just great, don't stress about it.

I can't recall if my stitches dissolved or if they were removed.  I remember I had to go see my doc a week after the surgery and then the next appointment after that was my BAHA gotcha day (90 days post op).  So, either he removed the stitches at the one week point or they dissolved.   

I'm sure if your stitches absolutely had to stay in for 20 days that Dr. T would have come up with an alternative to taking them out before you leave on your trip.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:01:41 am »
sorry I typoed, stitches would be out in 10 days or 2 weeks.
Translab surgery 5-18-10

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 01:47:14 am »
Congrats on the surgery!   It sounds like you did well in spite of being nervous.  That might be normal.  I was a bit nervous on my first Baha surgery cuz I was awake thru the whole thing.  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:24:36 am »
Saw Doc this morning, he's happy with my healing so far, removed my disc and stitches, but left the cap on. 2 more weeks of washing my hair in the sink, boo. I have become adept at holding a cup over the site. (Thank you again Baha Recovery Kit, you rock!)

He did say though that 2 days after I return from the Philippines I am coming in to have my processor calibrated so I can use it. I was so happy I nearly cried. I was afraid I wouldn't get it until just before Christmas. Now I will have something further to be thankful for at Thanksgiving.

He told me for the next 2 weeks to use babywipes around the site and keep it dry. He said to keep the cap on until I see him again, and to start "brushing" with antibacterial soap. I asked him about the polysporin/bacitracin, and he did say that I could use it. He also wrote me a prescript for an antibiotic and prednisone for swelling if its needed while I'm away. I also now have Ambien for my flight to the Philippines. yay!

It sounds like everything's healing well. I sure hope so, it itches. I hear thats normal.
Translab surgery 5-18-10

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:21:20 pm »
Tracy Lynn ~

Further congratulations on your BAHA implantation healing and the fact that you're well on your way to getting your processor - and improved hearing!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:33:28 pm »
Tracy Lynn,

That's good news about your healing.  You will be able to hear before Christmas for sure.  Don't be afraid to ask about after care cleaning to your doctor or us.  Keepin' fingers crossed!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:36:19 pm by Kencutus »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 04:45:37 pm »
Fantastic update!  Congrats, Tracy Lynn  ;D

Itching is very normal - it's part of the healing process.  My head, where my doc removed that screw, has been itching like crazy the past few days  :P  Had to break out the polysporin - and the Dawn  ;)

Have a great trip.

Godspeed,

Jan