Author Topic: I got BAHA screwed today  (Read 7176 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: I got BAHA screwed today
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 03:33:28 pm »
Congratulations.  It is so interesting to me how each doctor has their own routine for post op BAHA care.  Jan was surprised I could not get my site wet for 1 week.  Yours is even longer!  Yes, I KNOW the itching is normal.....but annoying!  They told me I could use a mild over the counter cortisone ointment for that.  I am surprised you have to wear the cap so long, but each doc does their own thing, based on their experience.  My doc is adamant about not attaching processors for three months, no matter what Cochlear recommends!  Best of luck to you and safe travels, Tracy Lynn.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »
I see you saw Dr Thedinger?  Do you live in Nebraska?  I'm having my BAHA done by Dr. Moore in Omaha.  I so hoping I won't be awake for mine.  I'm very anxious now and will need to check all this out.  I'm wondering if I will need the next day off from work, I refuse to go to work with that cup.  I remember it all to well from surgery.  My husband called it a nut cup too.  It still makes me laugh.  I'm just glad he didn't take a picture of me with it on.
I can't wait to see if you are here locally with me.
Susan  Papillion, NE
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »
Sue -

Tracy Lynn is out of the country; left September 10th.  I'm not sure she's accessing the Forum while she's gone.

If you are uncomfortable having the BAHA implant with local anesthesia (IMO it wasn't bad at all) ask your doc to go with general.  I've also heard that some docs go with local but give you sedation if you need it. 

No doc wants a patient to be uncomfortable plus if there is a concern that you might move around you're best being put totally under.  We're talking about someone with a high-speed, diamond-tipped drill in his/her hand.

I took the day after surgery off of work because I had to wear the BAHA "hat" for 24 hours post op and felt my colleagues weren't ready to see me with one on - as attractive as it was  ;D 

The good news is that I had no pain that prevented me from working, and my doc is one who lets you shampoo (holding a cup over the site) once you take the "hat" off, so I returned to work the 2nd morning after surgery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:45 pm »
Thanks Jan, I think I will ask for the next day off then.  I work in a cancer clinic and I'm not sure that would be too attractive to anyone.
I will talk to my doctor about being put under.  I have a very high anixety level and I don't think I could sit still even on a sedative.  Thanks for the tip and all.
I am excited though to be getting it.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Lizard

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 11:25:20 am »
Congrats!  So happy for you, so did my buddy who's not on the forum...must be a good BAHA week  :o
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 10:13:24 am »
Hey Tracy Lynn, I am late on seeing this...but I just wanted to congratulate you for getting this done.  Like you said, it will be all worth it once you start using it!!  PS: I hope you had a good time overseas!

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston