Author Topic: Surgery at House, Sept 14th.  (Read 20571 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery at House, Sept 14th.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:39 am »
Hi, Renee - welcome to the Forum  ;D

I'm not opposed to surgery (had it myself), but did your ENT mention radiation as an option for you?

The size of your AN should make it a possibility (location will be another factor) and your age doesn't preclude it.  I was 45 1/2 when I was diagnosed (1.5 cm at the time) and was given the option of surgery or radiation.  You definitely want to know all your options before you make a treatment decision.

You should contact the ANA and ask them for their informational brochures - you'll find them easy to understand and very helpful.

If you do decide to look into radiation, Dr. Chang @ Stanford is an excellent doctor to consult with.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 09:50:28 am »
any information and advice you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. i am in California, so I was thinking of making a an appointment at the House Ear Clinic being that it is only about 1 hour away.

My advice: as one who was more than happy to travel from New Jersey to Los Angeles for surgery at House, I would suggest that you take advantage of your proximity to that institution and make an appointment at House! You can (and should) do additional research, especially if radiosurgery appeals to you ... but I think most of us agree that House is a pretty good place to start your AN journey.

Best wishes,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Lizard

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:11 am »
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you have an AN, but it is small so unless you have severe symptoms you could most definitely watch and wait.  Do go to House for an opinion, they are the best.
All the information on this site and others can be great, but it can also make your head spin, so try to take a break from it.  As you said the AN is (in most cases) slow growing so you have time to make treatment decisions.  Even if you wanted to take 6 months and then get an MRI to see if there is any growth that would be a great way to really weigh what option is best for you.
Good luck to you,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

ReneeK

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 04:08:24 pm »
Good for you! Please keep us updated about everything. I am trying to schedule my consult now, so I'm looking forwar to your experience there.

Good Luck!

sterry

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 10:19:27 pm »
I had my surgery, translab about a year ago with the House doctors, Schwartz and Friedman.  My tumor 3.7 cm on the left side.  I think you are in great hands.  I did also travel, from Wyoming, grew up in LA so did the recovery with my parents.  Also took advantage of the wheelchair trips through the airports, definitely worth it.  No facial problems, of course no hearing on the left side, but my right ear has no loss, so I'm getting along pretty well.  I have found three positives about the hearing loss, I am not bothered by my husband snoring anymore..can just roll over :), driving on the highway with the window down at 75 doesn't put any pressure on the ear anymore, and I can't hear mosquitoes buzzing on that side :). Back to work full-time, work with the public.  Best of everything to you with your surgery
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

linda s

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 08:58:42 pm »
Hello,

After much research I too am having surgery at the House on Sept 21st and I am travelling from Toronto to have it. I am very happy with my decision and wanted to thank everyone here for the support - this is a great forum and the AN journey would be much more difficult without it!

Thank you.

linda
7mm x 5mm right AN/diagnosed 4-1-10 - hearing loss, balance problems, tinnitus. Having translab surgery at HEI Sept 21st.

TR4guy

• Hey - what happened to my photo?
    • Inside Scott's Head
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 01:34:08 am »
So it is surgery day.  (after midnight) I've stopped all eating and drinking per the Drs. orders.
I guess I should really get some sleep.
We will see how that goes.  I think I'm pretty tired but it is sometimes hard to turn off your mind.

I know I got alway from this forum a little recently as I was taking care of business and updating friends and family through my blog.

But this place has been very valuable to me and I appreciate all the advice and comments I got from you all.

I know there wasn't time to follow up with everyone who contacted me and said I could call them personally.  Please don't take it as my dissing you.  I just got kinda busy here at the end.

Despite my not being too active on the forum in the last week or so, I got a wonderful surprise.  A forum member who is an alum of the House Clinc and lives here in LA came up to meet me and talk to my two friends who made the journey with me.  She met me at the clinic and talked to me between appointments and talked to my friends while they were waiting.   She really went above and beyond the call if you ask me.  Nancy, I can't thank you enough. 

Guess it is time to get some sleep now.
I'll catch you all again in a few days.

Thanks again for the support.

Scott
40 yr old single male
Alexandria, VA
3.5cm AN on right side diagnosed July 2010.

Significant unilateral hearing loss
tinnitus
fullness of ear (starting to hurt!)
Occasional headaches on one side
Some loss of balance when moving

Translab Surgery at House Clinic on Sept. 14th. (2010)
Doing GREAT!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 05:43:36 am »
Scott -

you probably won't read this until a few days post op, but I wanted to say good luck with your surgery.

I'm glad you got to meet Nancy.  She's part of a wonderful group in LA that includes LADavid and Lainie.

Best wishes for a swift, uneventful surgery and recovery.

See you as a postie!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 08:03:19 am »
Scott ~

Although you won't see this post until well after your operation, I join with Jan and many others who are thinking of, praying for and wishing you a successful, uncomplicated surgery today.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 08:59:11 am »
Scott,
Thinking of you today. You are in excellent hands.
See you in postie land :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:28 am »
me too, hope to hear from you soon....welcome postie!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

ksiwek

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 05:59:58 pm »
I echo everyone's comments...thinking of you today and hoping that surgery went well!  Get plenty of rest (if you can while you are on those steroids!).  Keep us all posted on your recovery!  Being on the other side of surgery is such a relief in itself!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

opp2

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 06:21:53 pm »
I've just finished reading your blog, and am happy to hear the surgery went well. Rest now, do as the doctor tells you. Interesting nick names for your friends, but it sounds like you're in really good hands.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:30 pm »
I  know you are in great hands!!! Get plenty of rest and listen to your body!!  I also got to meet the LA crew, they are wonderful aren't they? You guys ROCK!! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 09:25:11 pm »
I've just finished reading your blog, and am happy to hear the surgery went well.

Blog?  What blog?