Author Topic: celebrex - it might work for you  (Read 3207 times)

kimberly

celebrex - it might work for you
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:27:24 pm »
Well, here I am 2 years later and still having headaches (not as often and not as bad).  About a year ago I was prescribed celebrex (200 mg 2 x a day) and it has worked to considerably lessen the pain.  I wanted to share this with those of you who have tried all the other drugs.  One of my doctors mentioned that celebrex is not a great drug to be on for any long amount of time so I tried to wean off of it and went to 1 pill a day, after about a week the headaches started coming back full force, so I am on it again. 

I have to say the headache thing has really changed the quality of my life.  I don't think a day goes by that it is not on my mind.  My physician decided I should try an anti-depressent (he was trying to get me to stop the celebrex)  and I said to him "let me hit you over the head with a hammer and you tell me if you want something for the pain or want something because it made you sad".  I'm not sure he appreciates my sense of humor combined with frustration.

I hope you all find the drug that works for you or that at least alliviates the pain.  Have a great weekend!

Kimberly

Lizard

Re: celebrex - it might work for you
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:31:12 am »
Kimberly,
I feel your pain and frustration as I am going through a similar issue with the medication I'm taking for headaches.  Its indomethecin and its very hard on my stomach.  I've been on it for 10 months and I'm beginning to have many stomach issues with it and they want to try something else, but its working!  So frustrating to me...because I've tried so many other meds and treatments and nothing worked like this has.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jerseygirl

Re: celebrex - it might work for you
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15:24 am »
Liz,

If you are taking Indomethecin and have problems with pills, try suppositories. They work faster than pills, less medication is needed and there are no stomach issues. The suppositories were discontinued a few years ago but you could compound them at any compounding pharmacy. Even if you can substitute only half of the entire medication you take with suppositories, it can have a positive effect on your stomach. Hope it helps,

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.