Author Topic: 2010 Cape Cod Bay Challenge  (Read 7254 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
2010 Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:53:55 pm »
Wish me luck....we launch at 5:00 am on Saturday. I'll post some pics next week. Anyone in the area that might like a chance to win a top of the line standup board we're having a party Aug 13th, Friday afternoon/evening at the Cabbie Shack on Plymouth and another when we land at the Surf Club in P'town on Sat. the 14th...3:00ish. raffle tickets at both parties and the winner will be announced at the Surf Club...don't need to be there to win.

If anyone is in a giving mood... ;)
http://www.firstgiving.com/robertbabcock
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2010 Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:14:46 pm »
Bob ~

Wishing you the best of luck on Saturday! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:07:47 am »
Thanks Jim.....we had a great day...very bittersweet though. My older brother had a heart attack and drowned while trying to help someone that had grounded a sailboat behind his house just two days before the event. The CCBC gave our family something to focus on at a difficult time.

Everybody cheered when the sun came up about 3 miles into the crossing.

The crew organized a paddle out...traditional surfers way of saying good-bye to a friend....for our brother Dave. My oldest brother Bill and I in the middle.

Tough paddling with tears in your eyes.

In a light hearted moment shortly after we had a bunch of folks on the beach at Race Point moon us as we paddled by

Felt great to finally be paddling into Provincetown Harbor

We had a beautiful day. Despite all the forecasts of a difficult crossing with east winds in our face we had crystal clear skys and a slight NW wind for our pre-dawn launch. Still donations coming in and we are already north of $70,000 raised for Christopher's Haven...amazing what this has grown into....in just 3 years its gone from 8 guys raising $12,000 and just having lunch after to a summer series of events with races, cruises, and of course the endurance challenge of the CCBC itself...and parties of course. Our focus is on inspiration....inspiring each other and most especially the kids that we do this for.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

iluuvpups

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:20:47 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's death.  My thoughts are with you and your family.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 05:11:36 am »
Bob

Extremely bittersweet. I'm so thrilled you tried to enjoy what brings you so much joy in life... and please accept my very deepest condolences for your loss.  I'm so terribly sorry to hear this news.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:20:49 am »
My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:40 am »
Bob,

I am so sorry you lost your brother and under such heroic circumstances. 

Peace of heart, peace of mind and peace of soul, your brother will always be with you.  My Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Anne Marie XO

PS The pictures you posted especially of the the sunrise are absolutely gorgeous. 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 02:56:59 pm »
Bob ~

My sympathy on the untimely loss of your heroic brother, Dave.  The 'paddle out' looks very moving.  I'm glad your friends did that with you and your brother, Bill.

Congratulations on being an integral part of such a great event.  You've inspired a lot of people and it's much appreciated.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 03:17:55 pm »
Bob, very sorry for your loss.

Kudos to you for your determination on the paddle-boarding and for the event to raise money for a good cause. Great photos too; thanks for sharing.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 03:26:50 pm »
Bob -

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother.  The paddle-out was definitely a touching tribute and a beautiful way to remember him.

The pictures of the CCBC are incredible.  Thanks for sharing them with us - and for raising money for Christopher's Haven; a very deserving charity.

Prayers,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »
Thanks for the well wishes all. Here's a video slideshow of all the events we had this summer. An amazing time and truly wonderful people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCXWMs7PjVk

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:43:09 am »
Bob, I completely missed the news about your brother...I am so very sorry.  What a nice thing the paddle out was for you and your other brother.  Glad to know the event was a success and it's always great to see your paddling pics.

Take care,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »
Thank you, Bob, for posting. I'm also so sorry about your brother.
The pictures are beautiful, and I'm glad it's grown into such a success for a great cause.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 08:28:05 am »
Bob .....

I, as well, missed this thread when it started.  So sorry about your brother, but what a marvelous tribute you gave to him.  The pictures of the paddle out are absolutely gorgeous.  Thanks so much for posting them.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011