Author Topic: Baha Aches  (Read 6744 times)

mellowrama

Baha Aches
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:08:00 am »
Hello all, 
I had my baha surgery in nov 2009.  So far, I've sent the baha for warranty work 2 times and it has not been very helpful for me in hearing.

Meanwhile, the post area continues to "weep" and I get a crusty buildup around the post every week or so.  Also, below the indented area, my skin has little lesions and the area hurts.
I've seen my ent and skin doc and they say it looks good.   Does this sound normal?  I'm even beginning to think about having the post removed...
thanks,m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Baha Aches
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:30:14 am »
I only had my post put in on June 30th, but when I went for my second post op check, the doctor removed some crust and told me to keep using Bacitracin or Neosporin.  I am a nurse, so my common nursing sense tells me you should NOT have weeping and new lesions appearing.  I would try to use some Neosporin or Bacitracin.  I think the weeping dries and causes the crusting.  My doctor told me that the crusting should be through (for me) and I am only 6 weeks out.  Are the lesions at your AN site or the BAHA site?  When you say lesions, do you mean bumps or open areas?  If this does not clear up after a few weeks of Neosporin, I would get another opinion.  That should not still be happening to you.  Just my two cents.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:53 am »
Hello m,
   I remember reading a case where someone had skin healing problems for a long time after AN surgery.  And it turned out to be related to undiagnosed diabetes.  Slow wound healing can be from several things; diabetes, hormon problems, etc.  It may be worth having a general workup with your primary doctor with a focus on things that could affect wound healing.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:14:08 pm »
My BAHA site didn't heal for a year !!!  I had a suture that didn't get reabsorbed and caused irritation untill it was removed. Also, it turned out that I was allergic to the neosporin I was using.  I too wanted the thing removed, but Dr. Brackmann at HEI told me to "hang in there" and it finally healed.  Keep nagging the ENT and dermatologist untill you get a solution  that works for you.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:29:12 pm »
I agree with Rob there just might be an underlying problem that causes you to take a long time in healing... It is best to be tested for numerous things just too make sure and put your mind at ease and if there is a problem you can be treated appropriately .

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:00:22 pm »
Weeping and crusting is definitely not the norm.  While it isn't unheard of, it is the exception rather than the rule.

There is something going on here. 

Go back to the doctor who implanted the post and see what he can do for you.  If you don't get any decent results, let me know.  I have a few names of people @ Cochlear who might be able to help you.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 01:01:09 pm »
Mine was still nasty, oozing, crusty, red, weeping, raw, and just plain OUCHY for 6 months.  I had been to see my ENT and he had removed some granulation, but it still would not heal.  At that point, I started accupuncture for my face and the dr did some needles to help heal up my implant as well.  It worked!!  Within a couple of weeks, it was healed and no longer hurt.  My skin is very very sensitive and it didn't like being forced to heal around metal.  I still have some crustiness every few days, but it's not a big deal.

mellowrama

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 02:08:46 pm »
thanks all for the feedback!

The lesions are little bumps/scars below the implant area...it seems to me like the skin is stretched tight and causes little scars and possibly open up the area around the post.
yes, I've used some steroid cream (can't remember what) and my dermatologist also gave me a script for some kind of scalp /dander problem.  As far as I can tell, its all from the BAHA surgery not with the translab.

My BAHA ENT is a 8 hour roadtrip in OKC, and everytime I see him he acts like nothing is wrong...but I guess I can see him again.  I think I would rather get a new doc opinion...anyone know of a good one in ABQ?  I'm also not crazy about the audiologist I've seen there..seems like my baha never works right.

When wearing your BAHA, can you tell if sound/someone is on the baha side? 
thanks, m
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »
Yes, when someone is on your BAHA side you can hear them - which is a very big reason to wear the BAHA.

If your ENT is so far away - and hasn't been able to satisfactorily solve your issues - it may be time for a new doctor.

The Cochlear website (www.cochlearamericas.com) has lots of doctors listed; just look under "Find a Clinic".

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:33 am »
I saw my dermatologist yesterday about a totally different issue.  In doing a total body check, he looked at my BAHA site.  He was fascinated, as was the nurse who asked, "would you mind if I looked too?".  He said that what is still appearing to me as pus when I look in the mirror, is actually just serum under the skin.  He said it looked fine, but cultured it to be safe.  He gave me some BACTROBAN ointment and said he thought that would be better to use on the site than Bacitracin or Neosporin.  Just an FYI incase the Bactroban may help you as well.  He said there are too many issues with reactions to Neosporin and Bacitracin alone may not be enough. 
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

hjb4971

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 11:16:11 pm »
Like mellodrama a visit to my doctor or audiologist is a six hour trip not including the time there (from West Michigan to Detroit and back). As I have said elsewhere I had no problems after surgery and am counseling other people with SSD to seriously consider a baha. That said I still would like more volume and the audiologist tells me I need to have more patience as my brain adapts. Yea I prayed about that lots of times, I want it now too.

Seriously, how long before your affeceted side hearing gets back to at least 50% of original?  I hear people on my left side now, which is GREAT, but not with as much volume as I would like. 
SSD left side since February 2010. Baha surgery May, fitted with Ponto July.

mellowrama

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 09:53:31 am »
Hmm, I would be excite about 50% too, although, I don't expect to ever get that much out of the baha.  I doubt I'm even 10% now.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 10:04:08 am »
That said I still would like more volume and the audiologist tells me I need to have more patience as my brain adapts.

I'm not an audiologist, but volume of your BAHA processor has nothing to do with your brain adapting.

Have you or your audiologist ever had your processor looked at by someone from Cochlear?  They regularly send reps to audiologists' office to trouble-shoot processors.  I'd contact Cochlear (www.cochlearamericas.com) or (www.cochlearcommunity.com) and see if you can get some answers.  They are very big on customer service and want their customers to be satisfied.

I'm also wondering which processor you have.  If you have a BP100, you might be better suited to the Intenso.  It's more powerful.  Ask your audiologist if you can try one - he/she should have one available on his/her office - and see if that helps the problem.

If you do have the BP100, ask your audiologist to reprogram it.  The original software that audiologists received with the BP100 has been improved and reprogramming it might help.

While my BAHA doesn't give me "normal" hearing - and it never will - I'd estimate I get at least 90 - 95% of the "original".

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 10:08:43 am »
HJB -

just read your profile.

You don't have a Cochlear processor - you have a Ponto which is made by Oticon.

No offense, but IMO, there lies your problem. 

Oticon does not have the support available that Cochlear has for BAHA wearers.  The Ponto is their first entry into the BAHA system market and they are pretty much unprepared for issues that are arising.  This is one of the major reasons I chose a Cochlear BP100 over an Oticon Ponto Pro.

As I stated before, volume has nothing to do with your brain adapting.  I would contact Oticon and see what they can do for you.  I would also ask your audiologist to try to reprogram your processor. 

If you had a Cochlear processor and it didn't perform to your satisfaction, you would be given a replacement free of charge.  I don't know if Oticon follows the same policy.

Good luck,

Jan

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 11:14:32 am »
I'm not going to mess with BAHA.

Just not that important to me to have a mic on my AN side. I'll try out sound bite if it goes public though. I kinda wonder about BAHA. I mean just put a mic in one ear like a hearing aid and run a wire to the other like another hearing aid. I wear MP3 ear buds all the time.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?