Author Topic: New to this forum  (Read 10286 times)

Pembo

Re: New to this forum
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 09:24:21 am »
Allison, Get a new doc and don't look back. I have the BAHA and I am a teacher. It is not your original hearing but it helps, alot, especially in those noisy situations like the gym.

I saw Todd at UPMC for facial retraining and it helped. My face isn't perfect but according to all those around me I look normal. I don't think so but I've never had anyone say...HEY you're face is messed up.

If you have chronic dry eye, see about a punctual plug and Restasis. Both have been very helpful for me. Find a good eye doctor!

You will be okay with the right support. We're here and we can help too. PM me if you want to talk.

My surgery was 6 years ago and I have accepted my new normal. It takes time, a lot of time, and let me tell you I hated hearing that but it's true. Stay strong and welcome to our little family.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:39 pm »
Thank you Pembo. The optimist in me doesn't want to accept a lot of what has been happening - but you're right about the new normal. Reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode in which a person was born with unusual features so he was sent to another planet where everyone there looked like him! I guess this forum is the different planet for us (thank goodness).
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 07:07:20 pm »
bad news again... had discussion about emg results today. Doc says no signs of regeneration. tired of hoping for the best
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin

iluuvpups

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 08:01:46 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  I'm sure it's very disappointing.  Sending good thoughts your way.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait