Author Topic: CPAP in the hospital  (Read 1914 times)

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
CPAP in the hospital
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:38:53 am »
Its me again, sorry but I keep coming up with questions.
I have pretty bad sleep apnea and always use a CPAP, breathing machine even when I take a nap.  I use a face mask that covers my nose and has straps that go around my head. It fits pretty snugly so air doesn't escape. So when my head is bandaged I' not sure it will fit.  Also my Dr will use a shunt in my spine to drain any extra spinal fluid. I doubt that I'll be able to lay on my back which leaves my w/ one side to lay on.  I will be asking my Dr on 9/29 about all this but was hoping for advice  or hear from someone  who has gone through it.  Sue
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.

Cheryl R

Re: CPAP in the hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:10:34 pm »
I have never heard of anyone using their CPAP immed post op so not sure what they will do about that.    They will tell you ahead as won't be the first one who uses one.               I seen several people with them when I was working but wasn't with a brain surgery as only in a smaller hospital.     
I think you will be able to lay on your back with the shunt.    There are some who have had that here. Hopefully someone will see this and answer.      That is not done by alot of the AN surgeons.   Each dr has their own protocol of how they do things.         
The patients we had with epidurals were allowed on their back.                       Make sure you do have all your questions for your dr as are of concern for you.                         Cheryl R         
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:11:58 pm »
Hello Sue,
   I have no idea about the CPAP, this would be a great guestions for your doctors.  As far as the spinal drain, I had one of these and it was not painful at all, nor did it keep me from sleeping on my back while in the hospital recovering from AN sugery.  The spinal drain was removed just before I was released.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:21:16 am »
Sue, I was diagnosed with really sever apnea about the same time I was diagnosed with my friend Bob. I had been on Bi-Pap for a month prior to surgery and had my first follow-up appointment the day before surgery. The various docs had encouraged me to have my mask and machine ready to be brought in by my wife. One of the sleep technicians even cut a section of the head gear out so it would minimize impact on surgery site.

Unfortunately, in my case it was all for nothing. I ended up being intubated for six days and because of the trauma to my nerves, my salivary glands did not all function (still do not) so for several months after I still could not use the machine because of severe dry mouth. But, they did take my machine, certify that it met standards, put a sticker on it, and we did try using it. It ended up just being easier leaving me on O2 for awhile.

In any event, make sure you have copies of your sleep study and diagnosis and give them to your surgical lead and whoever is acting as your patient advocate. The medical team wants you to have the best care possible and in order to do that, they need to know what your needs are.

Don't be distressed by how things went for me I simply had a different experience than most and all is working out just fine.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:56:32 pm »
Very interesting how many of us with ANs also have sleep apnea. I've always wondered about that. Before I had surgery I ordered the cpap gear that doesn't attach around the head. Instead, it afixes to your upper teeth like a mouth guard. The air flow comes through the nostrils. I got used to it and like it better than the facial mask.
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin