Author Topic: Just need to vent! (GK)  (Read 6119 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Just need to vent! (GK)
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 07:55:22 am »
Glad you're doing much better....it's important to remember that if you you wake up and it feels like there is an elbow in your ear, and your hearing is way different than it normally is...see the doc to get some steriods.   If you wait too long you may not be able to recover the hearing.   I had such an episode a few years back, and lost a little bit in my left ear....
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

nanramone

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 09:43:36 am »
Oh - Hi GM - really didn't realize it was an emergency situation. I do have steroids here at home - I was told to fill the prescription and keep them on hand, but I don't want to take if not necessary. So...maybe I should have. I have a gut feeling I'll lose lots of hearing anyway - it's already worse than before GK. oh well...I guess it's not the worst thing that can happen.

RAB

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:01:27 pm »
Tisha, that is encouraging that you got almost all of your hearing back.  I did get a lot back, but it is not like it was.  Maybe there will be some more improvement as I wean off the steroids.  I will have another hearing test in a couple of weeks.  I'm glad to be tapering down.  So far I have not gained any weight, but for all the energy I have, you would think I would have lost some! 

Nanramone, I guess we can expect to experience these little changes over the months. 
I had an episode of hearing loss way back before I had a diagnosis and was given a short course of prednisone and it resolved.  Then it happened again and I didn't take anything.  The hearing came back slowly on it's own the second time.  This time, with the sudden hearing loss after the GK, I knew I needed the steroids, but if it resolved itself, I probably wouldn't have taken the steroids either.
1.8 x 1.2 x 1 AN right side. 
Diagnosed 10/1/08
Gamma Knife 6/4/10
Penn Medicine-  Drs. Judy, Bigelow, Alonso-Basante