Author Topic: Question re hearing loss?  (Read 2730 times)

JD

Question re hearing loss?
« on: May 13, 2010, 03:11:27 pm »
Hi guys had my surgery 10 weeks ago and went from pretty decent hearing in my an ear to nothing after surgery, very difficult coping with ssd!!
Anyway i was experimenting with my walkman today and turned the volume up full and completely plugged my good ear and I could hear very very faint music in my "deaf" ear. I can only hear this faintly when i completely plug my good ear very hard
My question is this...  Is it possible that I may have a little residual hearing in my bad ear or is it more likely that Im plugging my good ear so hard that the sound is somehow being conducted through my skull to the good ear?   Hope this makes sensem sorry for rambling
Diagnosed Nov '09  4.2cm x 4cm x 3.7 ... jugular foramen schwannoma, but i love you guys on here so im sticking around! Surgery in feb '10. SSD and slight ossilipothia, apart from that im tip top, back at work early may and back training at the gym.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Question re hearing loss?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:24:54 pm »
Hi, JD - and welcome.

I've had a similar experience but it's my understanding that you can never totally stop all hearing in your 'good' ear.  If that is so (and I believe it is) what you're hearing is most likely the tiny bit of sound that is still being picked up by your functioning ear.  However, a hearing test would tell you whether you actually are hearing anything in your 'AN ear'.  It's possible, unless the nerve was cut. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JD

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:47:04 am »
Thanks for the reply Jim, I think its wishful thinking on my part  :'(, hoping that at least some hearing will return in my bad ear.
Booked in for a hearing test, so keeping my fingers crossed until then  :)
Diagnosed Nov '09  4.2cm x 4cm x 3.7 ... jugular foramen schwannoma, but i love you guys on here so im sticking around! Surgery in feb '10. SSD and slight ossilipothia, apart from that im tip top, back at work early may and back training at the gym.

tweety

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:56 am »
Hi JD,  I too had surgery June 8th and when tested at 9 days post op had no hearing on my surgical side. I went for my 6 week check up and told the surgeon that I felt I was hearing in my bad ear.  I too put my finger in my good ear and could hear the dial tone on the phone and also the women talking to me telling me to hang up and call again.  My surgeon was sure it was cross over hearing but to his surprise my hearing test went from no hearing to bad hearing.  I can hear 10% tones with no word recognition.  I am hoping it may improve a little more as the surgeon was puzzled with my hearing loss post surgery because my hearing nerve reacted the same at the end of surgery as it did at the beginning.  I don't know if it can heal but am praying for some improvement.  Tweety

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »
JD -

Jim is right; you can never totally block the hearing from your "good" ear.

From personal experience, I can tell you that I too had many difficulties coping with being SSD.

Then I got a BAHA - and ever since things aren't so difficult.  I've also found that I have a much better attitude and I'm consistently in a much better mood.

If you haven't tried the BAHA demo yet, you should.  Most are impressed by it; I definitely was.

If you want any specific information about the BAHA, there are lots of posts on this Forum - or you can check out www.cochlearamericas.com and www.cochlearcommunity.com

You can also PM me if you'd like.  I'm more than willing to answer any and all questions you may have.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways